What size hooks for offshore sea bass? Any other tricks? Rigs?

Thread: What size hooks for offshore sea bass? Any other tricks? Rigs?

Question

What size and style hooks do you use for offshore sea bass trips? Do people use lightsticks or colored plastics on their rigs and have any success with these? If so, what styles and colors?

Lastly, does anyone bring their own bait--ie, does anything work better than what the boat provides you with?

Thanks guys for all your help--I just picked up my Power Pro (even though I hate braid)

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I usually use cheap mustad 3/0 - 4/0 baitholder hooks on the offshore trips. Though I've also used 3/0 kahle, flounder hooks w/ success and 4/0 Gammi octupus hooks. Most of the rigs I pretie are with 4/0 bronze baitholders though because they are cheap, big enough for a 6 lb. bass and you usually will loose some rigs. I sharpen them good cause those seabass have a hard jaw. I tie a basic two hook rig with 6- 8 inch dropper loops 18 inches apart w/ a surgeans loop on hte bottom for wieght, only hardware needed is a barrel swivel to tie the rig to your main line. You could make a 3 hook rig, but bringing three 5 lb. bass up at a time can be a chore. The plastic squid skirts in red, pink or green may help entice some bites. Last year i bought along some leftover spearing and strip baits from flounder fishing and caught well, no better than when I just used the clam supplied by the boat.

[ 02-23-2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

what about lunker light glo sticks?

3" Glow in the dark Squids help sometimes but other times a plain hook or just a red bead above the hook works better. On the BB trip I was using red, pink, green, and chart., squids and got tons of Eels and doggies while Zoom fishing next to me without squids got all seabass. Best advice is tie up a variety and go with what works on the day you go. Try some glow sticks what do you have to lose by tring?
    Just about any strong, sharp, hook in 4/0 or 5/0 will be fine, again tie a variety and go with what works.
    sbm

Cool

4/0 gammi hooks ,3 of them 18" apart red beads at hooks seemed to work good for me.Ihad 18 fish.

Thanks!

I use 3/0 long shanked hooks. When you are seabassing you can catch 20-100 (I said catch not keep) a day and the hooks with a short shank after a short time gets hard on the fingers. The fish don't seem to be hook shy and I'll use all kinds of bead colors and the last trip out the green and blue bead seemed to be productive. As for Bait the bigger the better the larger fish seem to go after large pieces of cut bait, mackeral, bergal, etc. The disagvantage is so do the doggies. Based on depth of water I'll try to use a diamond jig or something similar on the bottom in lieu of a sinker. I've caught some big seabass on the jig, and besides have you ever caught anything on a sinker.
    For those who talk of freedom and rights remember those who make sure you have them.

Wink

Mike
    green or green glow beads seemed to work the best. put 1 above the hook on the dropper loop(turned down eye hooks for this one) or on the snell prior to tying the perfection loop. U gotta uze powerpro line. i hated it for half the bassbarn trip and i was a convert by the end. 5/0 or 6/0 beak hooks U gotta think about that occasional codfish/hake this time of year. keeper sz seabass can handle the bigger hooks too.circle hooks might facilitate double headders but i cant stop the swing impulse when i feel the bite..too much tog fishing i guess

good luck
    otc

I use only mustad 9174 live bait 3x strong in 1/0. Buy by the 50. I know your thinging to small for that big mouth,But I feel the bigger hooks will not catch the porgys and smaller leagel sized tog. It seems to save bait from those little bait stealers. You also get hung up less on the wreck. I have no trouble with missed hookups with these little hooks,because most of the time the fishes mouth is closed after he eats your bait. I have caught many flounder up to 7lbs while wreck fishing and a few blues over 10 lb. Use 2 on a top and bottom rig with a lesser pound test for the sinker for break away.
    I like salted claim as the bait of choice with a salted squid as a second. Most times if your over good structer you will pull up a double header. You must make shore you are over structure and see it on you depth finder. I you are over sand you have to move.

[ 02-25-2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: flukin nuts ]