How To Tie on a Mono Top Shot
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How To Tie on a Mono Top Shot

Default How To Tie on a Mono Top Shot

Hey everyone, I was just looking for suggestions on tying a mono top shot onto Dacron. I know there's a few methods, but wasn't really sure which one was the best. I know splicing is the way to go, but given that I don't know what I'm doing (and I don't want to buy the splicing needles), I figured I'd just tie a knot. I was thinking about going with the bimini twist to bimini twist by tying a cats paw (saw it in Saltwater Sportsman). Any other suggestions? Just to clarify, the Dacron is 50# and the mono is 50# Jinkai. Thanks.
    Thunnus Maximus - 27' Pro Line

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendors

If the dacron is hollow, it is simple to run the mono up inside the dacron. Depending on the stiffness of the mono, you may not even need a rigging needle. However, rigging needles cost only a couple of bucks each or you can swipe a sewing needle from your Mom and round off the pointed end.

The key is to make sure that there is a mechanical connection at either end of the "splice."

Use a lighter or match to melt off the tip of the mono into a small round ball. Then take the dacron in both hands and push the weave together. You will see the weave loosen up. Then you can push the end of the mono into the dacron and continue working the dacron to get the weave lossened as you push more and more of the mono in.

Once you have a foot to 18" of the mono inside the dacron, use a drop of crazy glue on the end of the dacron to glue it to the mono. It is also wise to whip the dacron within an inch of the end of the mono that is inside the dacron.
    Capt. Lindsay Fuller

1 of NJ's first IGFA Certified Charter Captains.

Member Beach Haven Charter Fishing Assn.

June Bug Charters is a BassBarn.com advertiser.

Cell 609-685-2839
    CaptLindsay@Fish-JuneBug.com
    www.Fish-JuneBug.com

Life Member of RFA and NRA
    I support the JCAA, IGFA, TBF and DU
    Public Trustee - New Jersey Sea Grant Consortium
    Retired Officer of New Jersey Army National Guard

Yo Capt Lindsay,

how are you doing? seeing any fish yet?

Captn Joe
    Contact Captn Joe for your Boat Insurance &
    Commercial Insurance
    Joe Sullivan -Marine Underwriter
    Marks Marine Insurance
    Captnjoe@insuretheboat.com
    484-571-5356
    For Instant Boat Insurance Quotes
    http://insuretheboat.com/Captn_Joe_Sullivan.html

Capt. Lindsay's method sounds very cool, i'll have to try that!

I usually buy pre-rigged wind-ons from Basil. He also carries top shots. Then its a simple loop to loop connection. I use a piece of wire to make a loop in my JB Hollow Core. Then do the loop to loop with the end of the top shot.

Simple and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT. LINDSAY View Post
    Use a lighter or match to melt off the tip of the mono into a small round ball. Then take the dacron in both hands and push the weave together. You will see the weave loosen up. Then you can push the end of the mono into the dacron and continue working the dacron to get the weave lossened as you push more and more of the mono in.

Once you have a foot to 18" of the mono inside the dacron, use a drop of crazy glue on the end of the dacron to glue it to the mono. It is also wise to whip the dacron within an inch of the end of the mono that is inside the dacron.
    This is a great method - it is quick and does work (plus no special tools needed), but we have had a couple of these kinds of connections fail when they were not maintained.

Recommend using the super strong, super fast drying super glue if you can get it (usually at a hobby shop). It also helps to go even further then 18" if you have the patience - gives more surface area for the "chinese finger cuff" effect. I usually go about 3 feet. Finally, you will want to check the connections year to year and refresh with another couple drops of super glue if you are not replacing the topshot each year. Serving with spectra at the connection is not a bad idea either.

Thanks..Maybe I will try splicing it rather than tying the knot. I was under the impression that I had to buy those hollow splicing needles to do it, and that it was much harder. Seems pretty simple.
    Thunnus Maximus - 27' Pro Line

i keep it simple, double uni to uni, does anyone else do it this way
    Buterick Bulkheading
    Dealer of Hi-Tide Boatlifts
    Bulkheads, Docks, House Pilings, and Boat Lifts
    609-597-8426
    e-mail: Buterickbulkheading@comcast.net or
    Fsoper@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by boatliftman View Post
    i keep it simple, double uni to uni, does anyone else do it this way
    for short jig top shots yes, but for windons and longer top shots the knot is not stream line enough.

SCANDA III

31' Jersey Cape Diesel
    www.sterlingtackle.com

i usually do biminis for the windons, the few rigs i have a dacron to mono i do uni and unless its a pretty big fish we rarely ever see the daron but would hate to loose that big fish do to a knot failure
    Buterick Bulkheading
    Dealer of Hi-Tide Boatlifts
    Bulkheads, Docks, House Pilings, and Boat Lifts
    609-597-8426
    e-mail: Buterickbulkheading@comcast.net or
    Fsoper@comcast.net

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.