Riviera Maya fishing

Thread: Riviera Maya fishing

Default Riviera Maya fishing

Anyone recommend any charter captains in Riviera Maya. I will be there next week and will be looking to do some fishing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I out of peurto adbentures wit i belive captian rick i f you do a web search alot will come up. when you get to your hotel check with them you will get better rates ..my trip was 90 for all day off shore for marlin we got 3 then recked fish for yellowtail the rest of the day one of my best trips ever

Quote Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
    Anyone recommend any charter captains in Riviera Maya. I will be there next week and will be looking to do some fishing.

I will be there also next week. If you find anything that looks interesting and are looking for someone to split a charter, let me know.

FISHSTIX
    31 Cabo Express
    Cape May Marine
    Joe

Iím heading to Playa De Carman in April and have contacted Capt Rick for a morning trolling and an afternoon of wreck fishing, please post your report.

Jamaican Princess Sport Fishing
    Point Pleasant, NJ
    732-701-9234
    www.jamaicanprincess.com

I was down there last spring. Hired a local on the beach with a panga. For $125, caught a dolphin, had a shot at a sail, and when we drove over some interesting structure on the reef I stoped him, grabbed a mask, and went in. From talking to others that ponied up for a real boat, it seemed no one else did better; most worse. I dont know that you have to go all out on a sportfish charter to catch or have fun.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'll post a report when I get back under this original post.

Fished with Capt. Rick.

Trolled about 500 yards from the beach and didn't have a sniff in about 250 ft of water. Seas were pretty ruff even that close to the beach...5-6 footers every few seconds. We didn't do any bottom fishing as it was hard enough to hold on without having a rod in your hands.

Trip was for 4 hours, but we got tired of getting beat the hell up and a couple of the guys got sick so I told the mate to head to the barn a little early. Not the top notch fishing center that people claim they are. The mate was rigging ballyhoo with hooks and leaders he pulled from a bucket with rust all over them and God only knows how old the leaders and knots were. The teasers looked like they were found in the garbage can. I don't even think the boat had electronics other than a vhf.

It's funny, the guys at the dock that sell you the trips are American; however, the mate and captains barely speak English.

We have our 48 Ritchie Howell ( Reel Passion )down in Isla Maujures and have been running a few charters. The fishing has been very good by all standards except for air temps which have been unseasonably cold ( 70's ). We mainly fish for sails and use the same techniques as practice for White Marlin. Charters / flights and lodging are reasonable and we will be there until 4/01....If interested in chartering we can be flexible on times and pick up in cancun.

joe d sorry to hear about your trip..i was looking at ricks also for the 1st week of april and wasabi loco charters i guess ricks is out did you hear anything about wasabi or can you suggest a boat for me and my family to fish on... we will be at sandos in playa del carmen

If I'm not mistaken Capt. Rick's operation uses a few boats and captains, and in my limited experience fishing with them years ago, it was certainly nothing special. They're sort of a tourist trap...

Quote Originally Posted by angler dave View Post
    joe d sorry to hear about your trip..i was looking at ricks also for the 1st week of april and wasabi loco charters i guess ricks is out did you hear anything about wasabi or can you suggest a boat for me and my family to fish on... we will be at sandos in playa del carmen
    Sorry, I don't have any recommendations on fishing charters. I was told that if you are looking to do serious fishing, go to Isla Maujures.

I'm sure where I stayed, the bottom fishing at least would have been productive. It was just a real bad day to go out considering the wind and the direction it was blowing out of. I should have known the conditions were not going to be favorable when I saw the red flags blowing on the beach indicating ruff surf advisory . Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by bagel boy View Post
    We have our 48 Ritchie Howell ( Reel Passion )down in Isla Maujures and have been running a few charters. The fishing has been very good by all standards except for air temps which have been unseasonably cold ( 70's ). We mainly fish for sails and use the same techniques as practice for White Marlin. Charters / flights and lodging are reasonable and we will be there until 4/01....If interested in chartering we can be flexible on times and pick up in cancun.
    Next time.