south jersey wrecks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: south jersey wrecks

Default south jersey wrecks

been fishing whole life 25 years new into owning a boat and to bass barn. i have a garmin 441 s gps, and it does not mark many wrecks fished out of townsends inlet last weekend and only marked 1 "wreckage" on the gps about 10 miles n/s and 7 miles offshore. can anyone help i know im missing many wrecks, should i invest in a wreck chart, if so can anyone recommend a good one. another thought i had is i know garmin sells a fishing chart card to update my unit, im not sure if it shows anymore wrecks though. it is called the g2 chart i believe. also anyone have lat/long coordinates for old grounds, and cape may reef . by the way we fished oc reef , the wreck i taslked about and some other lumps last weekend a couple short flounder, and 5 throwback seabass at the wreck 1 keeper and 2 short tog . if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

The Bass Barn has a list of the CM reef and nearby wreaks

Wrecks sorry

Check out this site. Should have quite a bit of the info that you are looking foor. I printed out the book and keep a copy on the boat.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/artreefguide09.htm

Check out Home Port charts at practically any tackle shop.
    Archie / High Wire in the BZL,CMNJ and SW FL
    Monitoring the BBC (The Bass Barn Channel 78)
    TheBassBarn Reef Program
    2008 Duke of Fluke 1st Place 31.6 pounds!

dude im the same as you 25 and fairly new to both. i got my charts from sterling harbor and punch in wrecks, sloughs and other points of interest whenever i get a chance. i actually have the same gps also, and it is fairly easy to use.

For More Information on any of our Products, Please call
    855-My-Tackle
    Or Visit www.TerminatorTackle.com

Your best bet are the reef charts. None of the commercial charts are very good however you may find a few wrecks that are accurate enough or close. With the majority though you'll do nothing more than waste fuel and time looking at empty bottom.

reef charts are almost dead on.

Most others are WAY OFF.

We have been diving and marking the actual locations of wrecks and there are a few that we cannot find even with several sets of numbers.

Some charts have a few wrecks that are pretty close - but most are off by a decent amount and up to over a mile off.

I havefound many of these numbers to be pretty accurate..http://www.reefsandrealestate.com/GPSBARFINAL.pdf

Not sure if this link is already posted, but this is WHAT YOU WANT:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/reefs/reef_guide.pdf
    Last edited by FinestKind; 07-29-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Len
    Finest Kind
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by phishbone View Post
    I havefound many of these numbers to be pretty accurate..http://www.reefsandrealestate.com/GPSBARFINAL.pdf
    I have found just the opposite, however at least this list is free. It's when you pay good money for something "claiming" to be accurate do you eventually realize you've been taken. Problem is if your just starting out you have no idea of which #'s are good and which are not until you waste time and fuel.

Default wreck #s

thanks to everyone for the help i did print out all of the bass barns coordinates, hopefully they will help me has anyopne used them , if so have you found them to be accurate. i was thinking of fishing the cape may reef this weekend and using those numbers, i have figured it is about 9.5 statute miles from cape may does this sound right. i see a north wind 5 to 1o seas 2 2 three, my boat only being 16 foot handled well last weekend in 2 to 3 with 15 knots from the southeast, does a north wind do anything different than a southeast? sorry for all the questions just trying to learn as much as i can because im so dedicated to the boat and passionat about fishing, im glad to be off the jettys and head boats

Quote Originally Posted by sglennjr View Post
    thanks to everyone for the help i did print out all of the bass barns coordinates, hopefully they will help me has anyopne used them , if so have you found them to be accurate. i was thinking of fishing the cape may reef this weekend and using those numbers, i have figured it is about 9.5 statute miles from cape may does this sound right. i see a north wind 5 to 1o seas 2 2 three, my boat only being 16 foot handled well last weekend in 2 to 3 with 15 knots from the southeast, does a north wind do anything different than a southeast? sorry for all the questions just trying to learn as much as i can because im so dedicated to the boat and passionat about fishing, im glad to be off the jettys and head boats
    I wouldnt go out that far in a 16 footer. I used to run a 17 whaler 4 or 5 off on dead calm days but the winds can change dramaticaly in shorter period then it takes to get back in.

Barrell Surf & Kayak
    Phone: (609) 513-1680

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

Default GPS Readout

Also make sure you have your GPS set to the same Lat/Long format as the charts. There are 3 different ways the GPS's can represent the same location: GPS Coordinates, Decimal Degrees, or Degrees Minutes Seconds. It can be confusing when working in GPS Coordinates and Decimal Degrees as the formats can look similar but the actual location of the "similar" number is way off. Hence you could be thinking you are in the right place and looking for a wreck that is a mile or more from you. Some of the best time you can spend is getting to know your GPS. Mine is like my wife, she always tells me the truth but what I hear and what I think I hear are often two very different things.

Name: "The Other Line..." So my secretary doesn't have to lie... "he's on The Other Line right now.."

William Bumbernick

Worldcat 33 TE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast