Marine Coolers: What is your favorite for offshore and why?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine Coolers: What is your favorite for offshore and why?

Default Marine Coolers: What is your favorite for offshore and why?

So I have read the PS reviews and other ice keeping tests which say that the cheaper Coleman Marine series keeps ice the longest, but that the Colemans don't last very long when compared to Igloo, which seems to keep ice the least amount of time.

On the high end it seems that Yeti (which I was looking to buy) doesn't keep ice as long as Engel. But Yeti has a 3 year warranty, Engel 1 year, and the rest are nowhere near Yeti.

Did I get this right? Which marine coolers do you all prefer and why? Also, do you store them outside or out of the sun?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

My vote is for Yeti. Bought an Icey Tek (Yeti) years ago & had it all this time, no problems. They said it was suppose to hold ice for up to 10 days & it actually does! Held up great after all these years & the sun did not bother it a bit. It doubled as a step for stepping into the cockpit on my old boat & also mounted a cutting board to the lid. If you're willing to spend the $ to invest in a top end cooler, go for the Yeti. The Igloos & Colemans are good but they're not as durable & just don't hold up as well in the marine environment. You're only going to be spending $ on parts for them every year or end up throwing it away all together & buying a new one over time. Good luck.

2000 28' Carolina Classic

Frigid Rigid all fiberglass and will out perform just about any other cooler, pricey though

coleman hinges suck, i had to replace mine with SS hinges from the depot. No problems since.

Default Not too happy with Igloo

I bought a 94 qt Igloo a few weeks ago, payed $125.00 I put a 40# bag of ice in it at 4pm,( 82 deg. outside) at 6am the next day had maybe 5 lbs left!! I took it back to West Marine that day. They too it back with no problem, They said it happens all the time. Long story short the Igloo's don't keep ice for shit.

Banned

I have a 250 qt Yeti that def. keeps ice for a while, at least a week. And it fits a lot of fish. LAst year we had 6 50-60 lb YFT and a couple of Mahi and could have fit more. Go for a Yeti.

if you have the room my vote would be a bonner box.
    they will hold ice for a week sitting out in the blazing sun.

I have a few yeti's and they work good to, but very exp for the amount of space they have.

i have a yeti and after sunday it still has ice in it plus freezing water go with the yeti
    26ft
    twin 140s
    14ft
    aka pickle

Yeti's are king of the extreme cooler for hot summer days... Made cocktails a week later using the same ice as the weekend before.
    stealthmoded@gmail.com

...who knows how big that bass was!
    All I can say is, she went right back in the water.
    This time I got a pic, next time I'll measure...

Quote Originally Posted by alex n View Post
    Frigid Rigid all fiberglass and will out perform just about any other cooler, pricey though

If keeping it on the Boat - Frigid Rigid hands down

If using it to transport ice, bait, etc. to and from the Boat/Dock -- Engel. It takes a beating and the handles are great.

Take a look at the new Engel Bait Trays as well. Sweet

Bonar Box!!!!
    Capt Scott Pierce Tuna Chic
    2009--2010--2012 Duke of Fluke wins 2014--2nd place

We use igloos, fill with Ice and it all there 24hrs later. I think the key is use a cooler whose size meets the amoutn of ice carrier.. Meaning u can't put a 5# bag in a 180 and expect it too keep.. However we fill our cooler up with ice and it keeps for our overnight trips.. About 300lbs worth between blocks and cubes....
    Last edited by bear 13; 08-05-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Capt. Don
    26' Regulator
    Point PLeasant, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by bear 13 View Post
    We use igloos, fill with Ice and it all there 24hrs later. I think the key is use a cooler whose size meets the amoutn of ice carrier.. Meaning u can't put a 5# bag in a 180 and expect it too keep.. However we fill our cooler up with ice and it keeps for our overnight trips..
    Right on brother. I have filled my colman packed with crushed ice and it held for a week no problem.

I use a 125 Icey Tech. Took it to Colorado on a early elk hunt, september. Ithit mid 80's everyday. It held block ice for 10 days no problem. It was in the shade the entire time. I have a couple of the "5 day" coolers, I don't think so.

The video on engels website is cool, with the bears trying to break into the coolers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast