BASS BARN banner

ANYONE HAVE A 27 BLACKFIN Sportsman I CAN LOOK AT?

27K views 61 replies 39 participants last post by  Stormy 1 
#1 ·
I know we been down this road before gents. However, I am again looking to go look at another 27 Blackfin Sportsman (the blackfin fisharound model only about 14 in existence with OB's)

Since the boat is half way across the country I was wondering if anyone had one here close that I could just walk around and make sure it is as roomy, for my boys, as it looks to be. Really looks nice for the size and fuel will prolly be about the same as my 26. Alittle more as the boat is 10K about 3 more then the reg..
maybe save me a trip or let me now to have the cash in hand...

Is it gonna ride as well as the reg?

Anyone?

#31 ·
Bear

Not sure what is in her, but there is a 29 BlackFin for sale up at Rick's Marina in Forked River. I think it might have gas in her given the prop size, but with these high RPM diesels it is hard to tell, since they spin the same prop as a lot of big blocks. It is an express style. Looks fairly clean.

#33 ·
Thanks everyone great conersation piece..

Billy, hope all is well my man. Thanks for the info! I heard those Mirages pound pretty good. Have you ever ridden one? Not sure my information was accurate.

#34 ·
The 27's the same hull as the 32 just not as long or wide...but the same ride up until they get to the pt the extra length and weights needed to mash em but still wont beat the head sea ride of the 27 much due to her lesser beam. I'm sure the difference in ride between the inboard and outboard 27's noticeable. Best case would be a 27 inboard with diesels. If you want to experience the ride of a 32 with 375 Cats let me know i'll take you for a ride to the rips this fall, we'll chuck some eels while were at it.

#35 ·
there are a couple true world marines at our dock..dont know anything about the ride and it is a walk around but with steps...pretty wide walk around area and gives you a good amount of space underneath..but still seems totally fishable as a one person rig as well. thought they looked like a decent rig. almost all of them push a single yanmar but get good fuel mileage.. i thought someone had one set up with twin OB's

#36 ·
Apollo brings up an interesting option. The Trueworld 288 is a big boat for a 28. I have generally heard very good things about them. The only knock on them that I have heard is the O part of the IO. Namelyy the "O" has trouble handling the diesel torque, and blows up. There are a number of posts on this topic.

A twin OB version of this setup may be quite appealing.

Peter

#37 ·
they always looked nice docked up..i try to get the guy at the dock to trade boats for awhile but seems hes not into that idea...i told him that mine is proven at catching fish...curious of their ride...big enough to sneak offshore- the right window .small enough to fish inshore if its just you..if there were only one boat that could perfectly due it all....

#38 ·
Bear, speaking from an experience of being around our 32' Fin for almost 10 years now i can attest to the ride, weight, and build quality of the blackfins. If you need a case study: we hit a 35+' telephone pole sized log this summer at 25 knots about 5 miles short of the chicken canyon, and made it back safely. Not sure if there is a better test of the strenth of these hulls. The ride is as smooth, fast and dry as they come, countless times weve passed 40'er's when returning in snotty seas. the big draw is the sometimes violent rolls when sitting on the drift, but its the nature of the deep-vee hulls and can be lessend with some techniques. as for some of the other options, the true-world boats i believe were derived from the blackfin and bertam hulls, as were the pheonix designs. while the reg's and contenders are very well built, fast and good handling boats, i dont beileve they have the weight that most blackfins, or any older boat has. hope this helps, good luck!

#45 ·
Amen.. Part of the attraction too.. She just needs to be an OB model...

If / When I get rid of the Reg I will be very torn.. It is an oncredible boat that I have setup almost perfect for what I do.

#46 ·
Blackfin Sportsman 27

My dad purchased a 27' sportsman about 4 years ago. It's an inboard model with twin Yanmars. The hull is solid and can handle just about anything. The cabin is surprisingly large for a walkaround, plenty of headroom, nice v-bunk. We are located on LBI. attached are a few pictures.

#52 ·
My dad purchased a 27' sportsman about 4 years ago. It's an inboard model with twin Yanmars. The hull is solid and can handle just about anything. The cabin is surprisingly large for a walkaround, plenty of headroom, nice v-bunk. We are located on LBI. attached are a few pictures.
Nice looking rig :thumbsup:

#47 ·
Thats a real nice rig you got there. I seen old ads of it for sale.. I seen you guys earllier this year, I think, running up the beach. I came close to running you to you for a look..

Nice boat!

#49 ·
Water Dawg - does your father still have the boat? A friend of mine is in the process of buying a sister-ship to yours with Yanmars and has a few questions that you may be able to help him out with. Would appreciate any insight that you may have on the boat. It looks like a real beast for a 27 footer.

#50 ·
Check out the blackfin owners forum. Those guys know these boats well. They have a dedicated forum to the 27. I understand Chas. Jannace the blackfin architect believes the 27 to be the best riding blackfin hull ever produced

#53 ·
Don,
I wouldn't go backwards in technology, older boats equal bigger problems.
We just upgraded from 1977-1988 and the amount of work is halved from the first boat. This one might take us five years to finish instead of 9.

Keep moving forward it hurts less.

#54 ·
Hey Don,

I have been fishing on my buddy chuck 31 Contender Fish around. That boat has an insane amount of cockpit room as far as centers go, the deck is not stepped, so the gunnels up front are very comfortable to fish against, the cabin is perfect size, and the fact that you really have a big 3 sided enclosure keeps everyone out of the weather.

Vey cool boat, we run only yammi 225 (4 strokes) the smallest motors they put on them, and manage 28-29 cruise which is perfect for us.

Just a thought,

Ps I hope you and the family are well. Phil

#56 ·
Thanks guys.. This was an old post, my mind has turned a lot since then.. I am always looking to learn more though... if I were to buy right now, the next Bear would be a downeast. Stick around though as that may change...LOL great thread to hear opinions of other boats.

Currently. I am currently trying to educate myself on the Downeasts. Whew the more I look the more I like.. Problem is, I desire something that does 20+knots, can fish as efficently as my current boat and also can be handled solo... Many times it will be just two of us, others p just me and and my lil boys. Need something we can afford without needing people to go. I'd rather be trapped by weather than being trapped by, "can't find crew to go". When the weather and schedule allows, I go. Something my boys can get out the weather, to nap. Something I could green stick from if I choose. One that has decent fish holds... To me a down east fits that.. Plus, I just think they are the sexiest boats on the water..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.