Salas 6X & 7X Irons deadly Bass to Tuna

Thread: Salas 6X & 7X Irons deadly Bass to Tuna

Default Salas 6X & 7X Irons deadly Bass to Tuna

West coast fisherman know that "surface irons" are very effective lures, its the West Coast version of the diamond jig. When West coast anglers think of surface irons, one name comes to mind, Matt Salas Senior. Mr. Salas popularize and invented the surface iron more than 40 years ago and tuned it over the course of more than 100 long range trips. It needs no further improvement, rather he has made us custom colors for both the Northeast and Latin America.

Anyone in California knows and respects the Salas family as the originator of the surface iron. In the 80's Matt Jr the son, took over the business and continues to make the lures by hand, in Southern California. Sure they have seen there share of look alikes Sumo, Tady, Spanyid and sure you can say "an iron is an iron". Regardless of what brand of iron, you should really try these lures in the surf for Bass and offshore for tuna.

They "float" as they are cast aluminum (and sinking zinc models are available for vertical jigging). The action is like a half dead bunker struggling for its last breath. A very very easy action to duplicate, throw it out, reel it in slow. Simple and it produces.

Peter Kim helped popularize this lure in Panama, with a catch of Five Cubera Snapper #50 a piece in a span of 2.5 hrs on a Blue/WHite Salas 7X. After that all Capts we fish with in Panama demand we bring them Salas lures.

You will find them in stock this week at Jersey Coast as well as our online shop.

Available at more than 50 Shops in the US and 10 shops overseas including Japan, New Zealand, Australia,
    Costa Rica, Panama, and South Africa!

Please visit our website or send a P/M for a dealer near you

shop.cmtackle.com

www.facebook.com/shop.cmtackle

Dan Harley

Customer Service / Issues / Questions / Problems
    Shop: 856-866-1800

dan@capemaytackle.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

PL-68 glow great jig, they have a great assortment, and for all types of fishing.
    Wellcraft 240W/A Tournament

Shhh. Their deep jigs work well on inshore bluefin, too.
    Thanks Pez Machine Sportfishing for their support of Movember!

Check out TEAM I HATE CANCER on Facebook!

Salas 6XJr was my favorite jigs for yellowtail when I fished on a mothership around Midriff Island in Sea of Cortez.

They are proven jigs and it should work here too.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com

i can certainly vouge for salas jigs. they are killer for east and west coast tuna - my favorite goto jig is full 6x blue/white. matt is also one helluva nice guy and a great fisherman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	55581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	american angler 2008 017.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	55582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	55583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	55584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled6.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	55585  

2013 freeman 33 "Fishbone 2"

Dan let me try a Mexican Flag colored one that worked in panama. I remember the blue/white one worked better though.

The Mexican Flag pattern is pretty good, but I have the most confidence in the Blue/White. Matt Jr. made us a new 'custom" color, Pink/White ! I have 12 pcs for the Panama trip, really only need 8 (one per guy) if you wanted one of those

Available at more than 50 Shops in the US and 10 shops overseas including Japan, New Zealand, Australia,

shop.cmtackle.com

Dan Harley

dan@capemaytackle.com

I got your package yesterday morning. I will try an get some done for the trip.......but I am working on boat getting ready to splash. When are you leaving next Sat?
    What spectra do you want me to use on the 80# ? I have found that the Seagar is alot stiffer and the yo zori.

Being from San Diego I have fished Salas Iron all my life . We have had success on Stripers , Bluefish ,and all the Tunas . Capt. Mike even caught a nice Wahoo on one . I prefer 6X and 6xjr's in medium and heavy . I change out the trebles or buy Wahoo Specials that come with single hooks . Ironman , Tady , Sumo , and Sea Striker are also good jigs . For Stripers I prefer to cast on the up current side let it hit bottom and grind it back to the boat . For Tuna I like to drop below where we are reading fish and burn the jig through them letting the jig flutter back through them . My favorite color is Chromefor day and white/glow for night . I have a black /white/red Sea Striker that has most of the paint eaten off it and the top ring bent .

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Pedro View Post
    Being from San Diego I have fished Salas Iron all my life . We have had success on Stripers , Bluefish ,and all the Tunas . Capt. Mike even caught a nice Wahoo on one . I prefer 6X and 6xjr's in medium and heavy . I change out the trebles or buy Wahoo Specials that come with single hooks . Ironman , Tady , Sumo , and Sea Striker are also good jigs . For Stripers I prefer to cast on the up current side let it hit bottom and grind it back to the boat . For Tuna I like to drop below where we are reading fish and burn the jig through them letting the jig flutter back through them . My favorite color is Chromefor day and white/glow for night . I have a black /white/red Sea Striker that has most of the paint eaten off it and the top ring bent .
    Wahoo - you have better luck with the J hook vs treble ?

I have twice hooked nice hoo in Panama casting the Salas, to say the hit and run are exciting is an understatement. I have yet to bring one boatside yet. It seems they "clamp" on the lure, their jaw/teeth are locked but just on the metal of the lure not near the hook. This trip I ordered more Wahoo specials (Black Pink) but without hooks. We had planned to fish them with Trebles - what do you think ? I can just as easily crimp on 8/0 Siwash hooks.

shop.cmtackle.com

Dan Harley

dan@capemaytackle.com