Ocean vs luhrs vs silverton vs henriques vs ???
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ocean vs luhrs vs silverton vs henriques vs ???

Default Ocean vs luhrs vs silverton vs henriques vs ???

So this is a bit of a follow up to a post I made a few weeks ago for a buddy looking for a 38-42 ft boat. He has since decided to go with an express style, but I am sold on a fly bridge/convertible as is (more importantly) my wife. We are a lil bit away from pulling to trigger but a little research/healthy debate never hurt anyone. Please please please do not turn this thread into a flame war...I need honest options from those who own/had been on these boats.

We are looking for a 38-45 footer that will be used for offshore fishing as well as cruising, needs to have two cabins and sleep 4-6. Head with a separate shower, and washer/dryer would be nice. Deisel only, and good economy at cruise is important. I'm not as worried about top speed but near 30 would be nice with a 21-26 cruise. I want a boat that can handle some seas as it will be used for some journeying (down to fl/Bahamas and up to Maine) and you can't allways chose your days.

The top contender (I would love to get on the deck of one) is the ocean 43 SS, with luhrs/silverton and henriques (low due to price) in the mix as well. We are looking at spending around 200k, so we can do open checkbook maintenance/upkeep on it.

So what is everyone's opinions? Who has the best hull? Mileage/economy? Handling? Speed? Appointments?
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

In that size range Henriques is easily the front runner. Next would be Ocean. Luhrs third. Silverton a DISTANT 4th.

I'd personally go for the Henriques.
    Capt. James Korzik
    "Hook Me Up"
    305 Albemarle Express
    Little Egg Harbor, NJ
    james.korzik@gmail.com

The finances are rough on the henriques...I would either have to go with a smaller boat (the 38 is very nice but doesn't meet the wife's 2 stateroom limit) or an older boat than I want to go with? But thanks for the input...I was very impressed with the 38 fly bridge henriques.
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by nj05nismo View Post
    The finances are rough on the henriques...I would either have to go with a smaller boat (the 38 is very nice but doesn't meet the wife's 2 stateroom limit) or an older boat than I want to go with
    Then really its a tie with Luhrs and Ocean. I don't think Silverton will serve your needs of fishing well at all.
    Capt. James Korzik
    "Hook Me Up"
    305 Albemarle Express
    Little Egg Harbor, NJ
    james.korzik@gmail.com

We were looking at 01 and newer...i assumed (for better or worse) that a 90-99 model boat would likely need mor upkeep than a newer boat...unless I'm mistaken. I realize previous maintenance plays a part.
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

I don't think you can really get an apples to apples comparison with the boats you are looking at. I'm a proud owner of a 32 Luhrs express with 6BTA Cummins diesels. Cruise is 22 - 24 kts WOT 27-28. Burns about 1 gal/mile. Does sleep 4 but not what your wife would be comfortable with. The Oceans and Henriques are a step up from the luhrs in fit and finish as you cna see in $. You could find a really clean Luhrs Convertible 05-06 for the 200K your looking to spend in the 38' range.

Knot Again

Jeremy, not sure you would get into a real clean 43 Ocean for 200K. A 40 or 42 I think would be available in that price range. Ocean Yacht is a nice middle of the road convertible that is a great family and fish boat. Henriques is a fanastic machine that will handle the heavier seas much better. If you need any Ocean Yacht info, just shoot me a email. Good luck in your search. Lots of good buys on the market today. I also just listed a beautiful 38 Viking, the boat is a solid 9. You can view it on the website below.
    Joe Y.
    Albemarle, Jupiter, Ocean Yacht, Viking and Yellowfin
    http://www.Yachtworld.com/southjersey/
    732-899-9666 / Pt.Pleasant Office - Stock 2015 32 Yellowfin, coming in September!!
    JYakup@SouthJerseyYachtSales.com

Proud sponsor of the Barn !!!

The ocean 40ss is on the list as well...
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

not sure if you looked at the Bertram 390. Two state rooms and a sizable salon. Handles seas very well. They were made between 2001 and 2006. A few on yacht world. I am very pleased with mine .
    FishStock III
    Bertram 390

Quote Originally Posted by JTM91 View Post
    not sure if you looked at the Bertram 390. Two state rooms and a sizable salon. Handles seas very well. They were made between 2001 and 2006. A few on yacht world. I am very pleased with mine .
    I had not...thanks

Nice little boat...a bit outside the pricerange though
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

Default 40 Ocean

I have a 1997 40 Ocean SS w/CAT 3126s. You have to watch with these as some of them were cast in France and have failed. The previous owner of my boat was a lawyer and had CAT replac his 97 engines with 2002s. We purchased the boat with 300hrs on it. The 40 Ocean also has the best cabin layout of any boat in its class...The main stateroom is second to none.
    We get 25gph @24/25kts ..... great economy
    little top heavy in side to sea....but handles great.

very spacious for a 40ft boat.

they can be bought for 180k-200k

sell mine !!!! if money is right !!!looking to move up

Just purchased a 38 luhrs in FL and drove it up the coast in April... Boat is pretty solid and handled the slop pretty well.. With the 500 yanmars, she cruises nicely at 25 kts and is very economical at approx 1 mileper gal... Maybe .9... with a 15 foot beam, she is very spacious.. enclosed master with three more bunks, not including the two at the helm.. In Ahmh if you would like to check her out... Researched all the same boats.. There is a sick 38 convert infl for 238 I think.. Could probably get down to your range.. Has the sweet ice blue hull... Good luck!!!
    Capt Rich
    Reel American

Atlantic Highlands
    Municipal Marina

My 2 cents. If I were in your exact position I would go and look at the boat in the below link tomorrow.

World class boat builder with a bulletproof hull that you can throw anything at, brand new diesels, new electronics, etc..... You can take this boat anywhere in the world and fish and live on.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989.../United-States

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    In that size range Henriques is easily the front runner. Next would be Ocean. Luhrs third. Silverton a DISTANT 4th.

I'd personally go for the Henriques.
    Exactly. Go with what the pros use.

My buddy is about to list an 04 Henriques fly bridge in that price range. This boat looks brand new no b.s. It is in Brielle. Might be worth a look.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast