palmers tackle--lets talk bucktails
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: palmers tackle--lets talk bucktails

Default palmers tackle--lets talk bucktails

So here we are in the last remaining weeks of august and fluke season and i felt like discussing my observations on all the talk of this and that bucktail.
    Best finish --who judged! Most bucktails are lost to structure before the finish ever wears off.
    Best jig--again who said! We all think ours is best. Most guys are soo wrong.
    More hair than anyones-- Twice the hair!!!!!
    less is more when it comes to bucktails..looks like a goddamn paint brush.
    AND YES NATURAL HAIR WILL OUT PRODUCE SYNTHETIC ANYDAY PERIOD!!!
    Rattle bells and chimers---ridiculous
    Here at palmers tackle we believe matching the colors to our waters is truly important. Trying each and everyday to build the best, fish producing jig that works and has proven to catch limit catches and large fish.
    I make all my own jig and everything you see by hand.
    I can adapt any mold because i have all mine custom done..no most are not stock do-it molds..i spend thousands on custom t6061 laser cut molds by a custom mold maker in virginia. Some of you know who i'm talking about(sc) most have no idea.
    I can put a 4/0 hook in a 1/4 oz. jig --who else can on here..i drill out molds all the time to adapt or create for a client.
    I know of only one man who truly puts as much effort into his products as i do and that is the barns own Dan Harley from CM tackle.
    In bucktails less is more when it comes to hair. Natural is better.
    If not using hair then adapt to find something that works..like dan did with his squids..Good hooks and the right balance the correst eye position for tying the line to the jig is of real super importance.
    Finish --yea it is important--but truthfully its designed to catch you guys more than the fish!!! How many tackle guys will be honest enough to say that to you. CHARTRUESE IS KING--GLOW IS QUEEN --but i bet i landed as many large fluke on a beat up old lead head with half eaten hair.
    I design jigs to match gulp colors--the first for sure to develop nuke chicken jig--three years ago..the first pink shine glow jig.
    Some of the finishes i see look like they threw the paint on..
    Last years new jig hero MADBOBS BUCKTAILS (sorry bucktail bob)---wow how many guys money did he take before paypal finally stopped his transactions.
    Guys you can't sell jigs for $2.00 in 4 oz size and stay in business long
    This ends my rant for now--comments expected and welcomed
    Last edited by apalmer; 08-26-2012 at 10:22 AM.

www.anthonyspalmer@gmail.com
    www.palmersbucktails.com

HANDCRAFTED JIGS & RIGS
    Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!
    Proud Supplier to charter & head boats
    2011 "DUKE OF FLUKE" CHAMPS

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Sorry i just couldn't resist this rant--bucktail wars!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

www.palmersbucktails.com

HANDCRAFTED JIGS & RIGS

Good post Tony and thanks for the kind words I think its great that we can be competitors but still respect each other's work. I am thinking of making a testing trip on the boat with letter M this week. W*nd prevented our Fluke trip Sat and but managed an hour on some on some wrecks after the lack of tuna troll trip we did Friday.

I've been observing the way these jigs are fished and in your experience is "more better" bait wise ? Some on our boat load them with bait to the point the barb of the hook is barely visible and others like a single small strip and nothing else. Some fish a stinger hook - some do not.

What I do notice is the more bait the more it changes the angle, ie more weight pulling down on the hook causes the nose to ride up. I am undecided if this is a good or bad thing and whether is worth retooling to move more of the mass of lead forward to counter act the amount of bait on the hook.

Available at more than 50 Shops in the US and 10 shops overseas including Japan, New Zealand, Australia,
    Costa Rica, Panama, and South Africa!

Please visit our website or send a P/M for a dealer near you

shop.cmtackle.com

www.facebook.com/shop.cmtackle

Dan Harley

Customer Service / Issues / Questions / Problems
    Shop: 856-866-1800

dan@capemaytackle.com

Try em without bait. I fished on the Bomb 2 weeks ago and caught a 4lber on one with just the squid skirt & no bait.

Default Bucktail Bob

What Bucktail Bob are you referring to in your post? Are you talking about the Bucktail Bob sold in Snug Harbor?

Yup, had a Palmer on while on the Duct Work a few weeks ago, my favorite color, pink white and put a 27" fish on deck, no bait on the hook list screwing around.

Palmer, we need to talk, I want to load up on some jigs and also wanted to talk to ypu about lead.

Call me today if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Dan View Post
    Good post Tony and thanks for the kind words I think its great that we can be competitors but still respect each other's work. I am thinking of making a testing trip on the boat with letter M this week. W*nd prevented our Fluke trip Sat and but managed an hour on some on some wrecks after the lack of tuna troll trip we did Friday.

I've been observing the way these jigs are fished and in your experience is "more better" bait wise ? Some on our boat load them with bait to the point the barb of the hook is barely visible and others like a single small strip and nothing else. Some fish a stinger hook - some do not.

What I do notice is the more bait the more it changes the angle, ie more weight pulling down on the hook causes the nose to ride up. I am undecided if this is a good or bad thing and whether is worth retooling to move more of the mass of lead forward to counter act the amount of bait on the hook.
    Dan i have notice that largere strip bait with a jig tends to do as you stated..changing the angle presents a wrong action--ie unnatural movement to the target fish..i have though seen it balanced out by the use of stinger hooks.
    Look we all know on any given day anything will work once or more..but as you work hard to develop and i as well, the key is making something that will consistantly fish after fish put meat in the cooler.
    I like the design of your jighead alot of thought was put into it..
    i truly do not like the collar and find the rear balance to be a bit light --but that would be for hair tying..for the use as you devloped it works well

Also i must say --we used swing hjooks 5-8 yrs ago up north and soon found out that they are rock(structure catchers) we doubled the amount of jigs used-LOST-- and quickly they became obsolete..you can hardly find them at all from shark river north to montauk..the old tsunami balls and alike.
    good luck up north..you southern boys have to get used to casting out..haven't met one yet that can underhand cast from a boat.
    Vertical fishing is for babies

www.palmersbucktails.com

HANDCRAFTED JIGS & RIGS

Quote Originally Posted by Bucktail-Bob View Post
    What Bucktail Bob are you referring to in your post? Are you talking about the Bucktail Bob sold in Snug Harbor?
    No sir i apologize MAD BOBS BUCKTAILS---MIS-spoke

www.palmersbucktails.com

HANDCRAFTED JIGS & RIGS

Quote Originally Posted by boostedcpe View Post
    Yup, had a Palmer on while on the Duct Work a few weeks ago, my favorite color, pink white and put a 27" fish on deck, no bait on the hook list screwing around.

Palmer, we need to talk, I want to load up on some jigs and also wanted to talk to ypu about lead.

Call me today if you get a chance.
    Mike give my house phone a call

www.palmersbucktails.com

HANDCRAFTED JIGS & RIGS

This is what nuclear chicken looks like !!!

www.palmersbucktails.com

HANDCRAFTED JIGS & RIGS

I use a small 3/8oz green white bucktail for mahi, and keep straightening the hook out with the reel being set at 15lbs of drag. I know I can turn my drag down, but its also my popping rod and don't want to go messing around and loosing time when/if I ever get lucky enough to come across a surface explosion of tuna.

Do either of you fellas have something that can handle that drag pressure in a small size?

As said, less is more, and would like to keep the jig small as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna-Sea View Post
    I use a small 3/8oz green white bucktail for mahi, and keep straightening the hook out with the reel being set at 15lbs of drag. I know I can turn my drag down, but its also my popping rod and don't want to go messing around and loosing time when/if I ever get lucky enough to come across a surface explosion of tuna.

Do either of you fellas have something that can handle that drag pressure in a small size?

As said, less is more, and would like to keep the jig small as possible.
    Hi Luna I can put a stronger hook in a 3/8 jig up to 4/0 black nickel mustad or 4/0 standard nickel eagle claw--possible a 5/0 if needed
    let me know--with private message
    thanks, tony

www.palmersbucktails.com

HANDCRAFTED JIGS & RIGS

k, ty,, will do

It's useless to cast out on cars.....Wtf...lol. Down in the rocks a different story. Guess u dont consider me a southern cause I can cast out, under and overhand just fine, taught by a pretty good fluke fishermen and jig maker, u know him? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by apalmer View Post
    This is what nuclear chicken looks like !!!
    looks nice
    JPR Custom Fishing Rods!
    TOG SEASON SPECIALS

Proud Sponsor Of The Bass Barn
    V.P. Tri-State Custom Rodbuilders

PHENIX ROD COMBOS
    HONEY LAMIGLAS COMBOS
    ALL IN STOCK

610-316-3594

CALL

SHOP HOURS
    3PM-9PM... M-F