Decimal Degrees vs Deg;Min;Sec

Thread: Decimal Degrees vs Deg;Min;Sec

Default Decimal Degrees vs Deg;Min;Sec

Since it's windy and cold I was wondering what others thoughts are on which system they use and what their opinions were. When it comes to Lat/Lon positioning systems I'm guessing the commercial sector and those with AIS are using the Decimal system or both and the Recreational guys are strictly Degrees, Minutes and Seconds. Which is easier and or more accurate? I know without a conversion app or site you have to be a math whiz to cross reference, and if you are like me, I have to think for a minute just to do
    F0 to C0 and C0 to F0. Also do the chart plotter / GPS manufacturers give you an option or are both systems integrated these days. Hope this is the right forum for this discussion. I just figured there weren't to many Captains left out there that run offshore with out technology. And even if there were I doubt they would be on the computer to see this.
    Don J.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Don, I have a Simrad chartplotter. It allows me to choose how I want Latitude/Longitude displayed. I like the degrees-minutes-seconds option as most of the numbers I use are in that format. Most machines probably give you the option to choose how you would like the numbers to be displayed.

most if not all newer chart plotters give you an option. I use degrees minutes seconds mostly but only because that's usually the way the numbers are formatted on most charts and such.