How far do you put your swordfish lights from the bait

Thread: How far do you put your swordfish lights from the bait

Default How far do you put your swordfish lights from the bait

Saw on you tube, Stanzcyk puts his LP lights 50' from the leader. This is florida day and night technique. Could not find what the Booby Trap techniques are, but are there any successful swordfishermen on the BB who have advise on how far from the bait produces the best bite results?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I am no expert but have had some success with swords landing at least 5 or 6 and losing a few while party boat fishing. I use one of my heavy tuna setups with a Penn International 50/50W, 130# spectra backing and a 80-100lb topshot. I use up to 2lb rock cod singers or whatever I have (in the early days I used a string of 6 or 8oz egg sinkers, up to 8 if I recall correctly) needed to get me down to the desired depth, normally about 100-200'. I put a glow stick about 8' up the line and use a whole squid hooked through the mantle with an 8/0 tuna hook on 130lb fluoro.

Bottom line use what you have and you can catch them, sometimes simpler is better. I am sure others with disagree and many have a lot more experience than I do. In my humble experioence the guys with the fancy lights fishing next to me never did much better than I did.

Good luck.

Brett

I can't give distances as I am still in the research phase myself, but I believe on brighter nights the light is supposed to be closer to the bait and on darker nights farther away, since the idea of the light is to illuminate the bait similarly to the flashing live squid use.
    Chris
    Oh Sonny Boy

'06 Henriques 42 Express
    Little Egg Harbor, NJ