Annual Keys Trip - Marathon 2017 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Annual Keys Trip - Marathon 2017

bummer..I will probably leave on Friday and start dragging the boat north...will do with the pics..I found the charger for my go pro camera so I will try to get some good videos..
    Chris Miller
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970) &
    Tioga County, PA

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

well gents it was not quite the day I had hoped for..the wind came up over night and was blowing a steady 15 knots out of the north..the bay was whipped to a froth so we had a nice breakfast and left the dock around 1030. We puttered out to dads favorite inshore spot on the ocean side and anchored up in 9 feet of water. The fish were waiting. While I played with my go pro camera, dad fished..first one was a nice red grouper followed by grunts, yellow tail snapper and more grunts. Ended up being a fish full day even through we only traveled 3 miles from the dock. We ended up with 3 red grouper, 1 of which we tagged in January and dad caught 3 other times since I went back home. I had a nice black grouper that went back with a tag, a handful of mangrove snappers, french grunts, more white grunts than I could keep track of and several yellow tail snappers...we did see a large grouper follow a hooked grunt, but he did not grab onto the fish..being able to see into the water is really cool and one of my favorite things about fishing down here...tomorrow is a blow out with small craft warnings but Tuesday and Wednesday look calmer as of now....I am trying to upload some pics and go pro videos. stay tuned
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

blob:F568F36B-0470-43EC-93A8-36759C2CC694

this shows why I went through about 25 hooks yesterday.
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

CG. Ill be in Marathon for a week in May. Ive never been there. I booked 3 trips with Sea Squared charters. I am also bringing stuff to fish from land. You mind sharing any info on good spots or bridges or a good tackle shop I can use while I'm there. Any other info on beaches or bars/restaurants to go to or avoid would be great.

Default CG

Great pictures Chris, looks like you had a good day, in 9 feet of water. Vry cool

Default Beerman

We are there in early MAy, the same place Chris stays.

SeaSquared is first class, He is from Jersey. You will catch fish.

I like the Tackle Box for bait and Tackle. Big time BT as well.

Most restuarants are very good.

Well after 14 hours I finally got my go pro videos to upload..Mike your internet service is really slow! Hope you don't have a data limit..lol..

https://www.facebook.com/christopher.miller.927980/videos/a.10211156661746150.1073741864.1645597350/10211157309122334/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/christopher...826152/?type=3

I have not had a bad meal down here. Nice indoor place is the key colony inn..being here with the seniors, I have had their early bird specials many times,,plus my dad is fascinated with the owner Leena..he calls her the russian princess.she is very nice and good to the snow birds...there is the sunset grill near the 7 mile bridge..kind of prices...last night we went to the key fishery down on the bay side..nice casual place..I like the fried conch basket and my folsk usually get a fried grouper sandwich. There is also tarpon creek behind the holiday inn..they have very good personal pizzas and is in a big tiki hut...as for fishing, leave your fancy tackle at home..you will probably just loose it..we only typically fish with a bare hook and cut bait..I also bring salted clam from jersey..everything down here eats it and it stays on the hook...live or dead shrimp, pilchards are this years favorite bait..silversides do well as does any fresh cut bait..pinfish, grunts, blue runners, etc. we are low key basic fisherman and do ok...I would rather catch 100 little fish than fish all day for 1 big one...
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

Spent the last 2 days fishing out in Florida bay just west of tripod banks..about 9.5 miles from the mouth of vaca cut...tooj our time running out there into the chop..once out there the winds slowed down and the water calmed both days...had excellent fishing with mangrove snappers also caught pinfish, a blowfish, sand perch, atlantic sharpnose sharks, yellow tails, bonnet head sharks, ...ballyhoo..some of the biggest mangroves I have seen...18.5" on fresh cut ballyhoo...limited out (10) yesterday plus a few..same today...tagged and released 7 mangroves today over 12"...

Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

Saw a nice tiger shark yesterday,..I have some way cool videos to post when I get home..the internet access is too slow to upload 500 mb videos..this was a shorter one that I got to go...

https://www.facebook.com/christopher...1173851295878/
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

nice pics, those are some nice mangrove snapper. Nothing like the keys, glad you had a nice trip. looks like you were in shallow water on machine?? Mangs come from the bay??

Default Nice

Nice Mangos Chris. I have never fished out there.
    Great eats.

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz29 View Post
    We are there in early MAy, the same place Chris stays.

SeaSquared is first class, He is from Jersey. You will catch fish.

I like the Tackle Box for bait and Tackle. Big time BT as well.

Most restuarants are very good.
    Awesome thanks for the info maybe we will cross paths. I am there the 6th to the 13th

Quote Originally Posted by cgmiller View Post
    Well after 14 hours I finally got my go pro videos to upload..Mike your internet service is really slow! Hope you don't have a data limit..lol..

https://www.facebook.com/christopher.miller.927980/videos/a.10211156661746150.1073741864.1645597350/10211157309122334/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/christopher...826152/?type=3

I have not had a bad meal down here. Nice indoor place is the key colony inn..being here with the seniors, I have had their early bird specials many times,,plus my dad is fascinated with the owner Leena..he calls her the russian princess.she is very nice and good to the snow birds...there is the sunset grill near the 7 mile bridge..kind of prices...last night we went to the key fishery down on the bay side..nice casual place..I like the fried conch basket and my folsk usually get a fried grouper sandwich. There is also tarpon creek behind the holiday inn..they have very good personal pizzas and is in a big tiki hut...as for fishing, leave your fancy tackle at home..you will probably just loose it..we only typically fish with a bare hook and cut bait..I also bring salted clam from jersey..everything down here eats it and it stays on the hook...live or dead shrimp, pilchards are this years favorite bait..silversides do well as does any fresh cut bait..pinfish, grunts, blue runners, etc. we are low key basic fisherman and do ok...I would rather catch 100 little fish than fish all day for 1 big one...
    Thanks for the info i am fine with steady action on cut bait. Doing that from land could i expect anything eatable?

Beer Man - you are going to be there at a great time of year. Offshore the dolphin will be in full swing. Reef fishing will be great and the Gulf will be great as well.

We used to fish off the old 7 Mile Bridge and do well. But I'm not sure what the rules are about walking out there anymore. Not sure if they closed it, or a portion of it. You can just ask around or head down for a sunset on your first evening and see for yourself. Tackle Box is the closest bait store to the Bridge. I like them. Big Time is probably the best bait and tackle shop and give out the best fishing advice. I also like Captain Hook's, right on Vaca Cut. They have a cool saltwater pond out front - check it out. They also run a dive business so you can get current conditions every day for the reef and the wrecks. Tide, temp, visibility, etc... I also ask them what's on the wrecks. I always have a boat for the week so I'm interested to know if the Thunderbolt has permit on it or where the amberjacks are hanging.

Have dinner at the Island Tiki Bar. My favorite restaurant in Marathon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.