Annual Keys Trip - Marathon 2017
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Annual Keys Trip - Marathon 2017

Default Annual Keys Trip - Marathon 2017

Good Morning Gents...eating breakfast and getting ready to make the long run down the hill from New Jersey to Key Colony Beach...just finished a nightmare project for work and can finally leave town......I'm 3 weeks late and cant wait to feel the warm Florida sun on my face tomorrow morning..hope to have the boat in the water tomorrow afternoon....we'll see how the traffic Gods treat me..I usually leave after work, but since I had to get up at 4 am yesterday to drive up to the Giants stadium area (God I hate the traffic up there) for a meeting at the job site and did not get out of the office until 630, there was no way I was going to get too far before I started to fall asleep....gotta get moving..hope to be out of town around 8....
    Chris Miller
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970) &
    Tioga County, PA

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Default Drive safe

Good luck Chris and drive safe. Keep me posted wih reports and have a great time.
    Mke.

are you driving or flying that's a long 1 day trip by vehicle, plus boating in the afternoon! I am leaving on Monday morning for Islamorada but am only driving 500 miles a day use to drive straight thru but old age makes you slow down a bit. drive or fly safely!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Its not exactly warm down here right now. Safe travels

Good Afternoon gents..the run down the hill was uneventful..left Mystic Islands at 9:12 am yesterday. Crossed the Florida state line at midnight. Stopped in Melborn around 4 am for a quick cat nap..it was TOO COLD to sleep well...a balmy 46 degrees in south florida....got back out onto I95 around 6 and continued to steam south...got off the end of the turnpike at 9:30 and rolled into Key Colony Beach around 11:30...just under 21 hours moving time, 25:44 total trip as per the GPS....had the boat in the water by 2:00 pm and did a little fishing inshore of Hawk channel this afternoon...caught a bunch of hungry Grunts, yellowtail snapper and dad caught a feisty Mutton snapper fishing his favorite inshore coral hump..after an hour or so the waves were rocking me to sleep...so we headed in...gonna sleep good tonight..I am tired and sore...dads Ford Edge rides real nice and pulls the 17 Mako well, but it has a different seat than my Honda CRV that I drive all the time, so I sit different and my butt is sore as well as most everything else...I will post reports as I get them..the neighbors just pulled up to their dock and they said they caught some yellow tails out in 30' of water near the edge of the reef...they had 19 keepers there the other day..weather is cloudy and cool with 8-12 mph winds from the ne...out near the edge had to be a bit bumpy...
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

Default Save

Glad you made it down safe and sound Chris. That is making good time.
    Which neighbors got all the tails? In our house?

Look forward to your reports, glad you got a nice mutton.
    Thanks
    Mike.

Me to Mike..had I come back on the 6th on the usual schedule that storm through the Carolinas and Virginia would have given me an ulcer obsessing over that for days, plus the week following the storm the weather was horrible...the neighbor 2 houses down the street..Chris and Diane from Long Island..they have a 21 Parker that they keep down here in storage..they were actually out in Florida Bay yesterday..10 miles out..brought home 9 Mangroves. I caught up on my sleep..was in bed by 8 pm..rainy and windy here today, 60 degrees...organizing the fishing equipment and checling over the boat trailer...I just ordered a new brake actuator for the trailer..something let go inside and the oil all leaked out over the back of the car..West Marine wanted $229.00 for it, the list price in the Napa Store was $187.50..I ordered it through Amazon for $97.00 plus $9.99 to ship it here..also replaced a rusted safety cable while I was taking the actuator assembly off the trailer...no football on today so I might go and take a nap....
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

Got out fishing today...with the N-NE winds we took to the ocean but stayed within 2 miles of shore to keep the 10-15 mph winds fetch bearable..worked our way up the island towards Duck Key hitting different coral humps until after lunch when the wind slowed down to under 10 and the ocean calmed down..by 5 pm the wind was under 5 mph and the ocean was getting calmer and calmer to the point where you could hear the Spanish mackeral jumping out of the water in Hawk Channel..I am always amazed by the variety of fish that we catch down here in the Keys...here is the list from today..

Yellow Tail Snapper, Lane Snapper, Cero Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Spotted Morray Eel, Red Grouper, White Grunt, French Grunt, Trigger Fish, Blue Parrotfish, Bermuda Chub, Jolt Head Porgy.

It was not a great day, but not a bad day either...calmed down real nice by the end of the day and stayed out until sunset. Gonna try the bay tomorrow if the wind allows...
    out of bait likes this.
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

Default Nice

Great job Chris, sounds like alot of fun. Glad the wind layed down, that is a great day for January.
    Good luck tomorrow, hope you can find the mangroves in the bay.
    Thanks
    Mike

Woke us this morning around 4am to the palm trees thrashing around outside..damn wind...it was honking out of the NE 16-19 knots...lollygagged around this morning..replaced a marker light on the trailer, changed the line on some reels, helped the guy next door change the batteries in the smoke detectors in the house they are in (all 4 beeping)...ate an early lunch...finally put on our big boy panties, 2 sweatshirts and headed out....started heading to a rock pinnacle in Hawk Channel but after the 2 dosing with spray, turned the boat west towards dad's favorite inshore spot that we were at on Saturday. Got the grapple to grab and put the chum out. first fish a nice 14" mutton snapper followed by several yellow tails...it turned out to be a bearable afternoon and the muttons were on the chew..we must have caught 6 or 7 of them up to 16 inches....probably 2 dozen yellowtails including 4 that we kept and took to the Key Colony Inn for dinner. We can always count on the grunts to keep the poles bent..landed 20 or so of them. Also had 3 red grouper and a small black grouper....the neighbors headed out into the bay and turned around after 10 minutes. They headed down to the 7 mile bridge and found some nice mangrove snappers under the bridge out of the wind. May head down that way tomorrow...it is finally starting to warm up down here too...
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

Default Sweet

Chris, sounds like you are making the best of it, and making new friends in my neighborhood!!! I am jealous and wish we were down there and fishing with you. Glad it is warming up, not to bad here, but going to get colder by weekend.
    Keep bending the rods. If you see Mike Long, the ex Fish and game guy, with the older Mako named "Bag Limit", tell him Mike and Lisa say Hi. He is down a few houses from you, towards the main road. Great guy, looks like a drill Sargent!!!
    Keep me posted.
    Mike

Default Batteries?

Chris, was that our house that you had to change the batteries?
    T%hanks

No Mike, it was the house on the other side..I have not seen Mike the F&G guy yet this year..I will have to tell my dad that he is no longer "the man"...wonder why he left..I think last year he had more of an admin role...probably not a bad job for down here...

The weather is tricky down here..today was not looking too great wind-wise, but it was nice and sunny..we headed out into the bay with a 11 mph NE wind at the Long Key bouy..I took it easy and kept the bow of the boat into the waves trying my best to take it easy on the old girl, who turns 43 in April...those "kidney punches" on the chine from the steep chop does not do me or dad any good either...made it out to one of dads mangrove snapper honey holes just west of tripod banks..the pinfish horde and mangrove snappers were waiting..nice to see them again..landed dozens of mangrove snappers and put 3 in the box over 14 inches. Had plenty of action including lane snappers, school masters, remoras yellow tail snappers, spanish mackerel, pinfish and dad even caught a oyster toad fish that looked like it was right from Jersey. The day got nicer and we moved around a few times. Ended up running 2.5 miles to the NW towards some boats dad insisted "knew something" since they had been there all day...put the chum out and within 5 minutes all of our lines got bit off..we got hammered by a pack of Spanish mackerel...never saw so many at 1 time...we usually see a few at a time and catch 1 here and there but this was a school..ended up landing a few on a clark spoon and when they stopped hitting that switched over to a big hook with a steel leader and cut bait....the day got nicer and nicer with light winds..even took off my sweatshirt towards the end of the day...left them biting at the original spot west of tripod bank at 530..cruised across the bay at a comfortable 24 mph making the 9 mile run to Vaca Cut in 25 minutes..back at it tomorrow as I will be home before I know it and counting the days until I come back at the end of March...
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

Default Thanks

thanks Chris, time sure does fly when you re down there on vacation. Just when we start to relax and get the feel of it, it is always time to come home. Enjoy the last day, and travel home safe.
    Thanks
    Mike.

I know what you mean Mike and the days go faster when you fish all day..but heck that is what I am here for..plus to get away from work..although I keep reading my darn email and getting agitated...It is the same way for me at home on the weekends I run up to my property in upstate PA..the time just flys by...although that place is only 5.5 hours away and I try to get there every other weekend...onto more important stuff.,..the weather has taken a turn for the good...usually cant report that during the winter but the last 2 days the afternoon has gotten nicer and nicer..this afternoon the bay was almost flat calm..took a long run this morning 20 miles up towards Flamingo..stopped near John Sawyer Bank hoping for some seatrout..the pinfish hored made it almost impossible to keep a bait in the water. Threw some out behind the boat on bobbers and ended up catching bluefish..about 3 or 4 pounders...after we caught 2 blowfish and another oyster cracker, we humped it back south 8 miles to tripod bank where I marked a big white hole. Picked at small mangrove snappers there and after an hour for so headed back to where we had the nice fish yesterday..the bay was calming down even more...anchored up in dads favorite mangrove snapper spot and picked at little fish until the lager ones showed up..ended a beautiful day with 6 keeper mangroves, a few mackerel, a real nice 13" mutton snapper and a 18" gag grouper along with 2 dozen or so throw back mangroves...steamed home at 27 mph on a flat calm bay..the weather is getting nicer..I am sitting outside on the porch for the first night since I have been here..barefoot and comfortable..paradise...log for the day was 41.7 miles..I have put 8.7 hours and 113 miles on the boat this week. I replaced the hour meter in July and only had 20 hours on the meter when I pulled the boat December 4th...its been so long since I posted pics I am having trouble doing it..lets try again
    Chris Miller
    Tioga County, PA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.