Bluefish are next
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dozer 277
  • 1 Post By CTHW

Thread: Bluefish are next

4a

Default Bluefish are next

I have been corresponding with José L. Montañez, Ph.D.of the NMFS regarding the bluefish allocation. As of now, the recreational sector has about 85% of the total allowable catch(TAC). However if we do not catch our quota, it is given to the commercial sector.

"Transfers from the recreational sector to the commercial are allowed in the FMP as a means to avoid drastic fluctuations in the commercial fishery quotas (emphasis is mine). However, these transfers are only made if they do not adversely impact the recreational fishery.

The recreational landings data used to develop stock assessments and for monitoring and management purposes are considered best available data/science information and they are subject to rigorous quality control. Details regarding the recreational data collection protocol can be found at: https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/recreat...isheries/index

The Council and the ASMFC take into consideration biological, social, and economic aspects of these fisheries when evaluation transfers between sectors. Bluefish pounds transferred between the recreational/commercial sectors in this fishery have not limited the recreational sector ability to fish for this species. In fact, for the last 5 years (combined) as an example, the bluefish recreational landings have been about 18% below the recreational harvest limit."

Unless I am interpreting it wrong, if we don't catch our limit, it is given away. Part of their "best available data/science" is made by random phone calls to persons who live near the coast.

Regardless of their methodology, and reasoning, we are going to lose a major portion of our allotment. Fortunately (?) it cannot fall below 50%. This just,, in my opinion, a continuation of their effort to push recreational fishing out of the picture. And when has the NMFS ever taken the social and economic consequences of what they do into consideration?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

That started many, many years ago and has had no effect on our limits. We don't want them and neither do they

I'm okay with catch and release, that's what I do with bluefish anyway, unless they aren't going to survive. then its into the smoker.
    Don Friel and sierrabill like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

While my wife and I eat bluefish, there is really no commercial gain to it since it cannot be frozen. I am not at all concerned about bluefish allocation, and even keeping 15 per guy seems like alot. I'd be willing to forego the bag limit on blues to take more on a different species, but that will never happen.

Who the heck needs to keep more than 2-3 per trip anyway? How much shark and crab bait is necessary? Do people smoke and eat that much?
    Offshorebri.............29 Blackfin FB 6LPs

most of you are missing the big picture here, if the rec lbs are being given to the comm side and they are or are not meeting quota, well then the buttheads at nmfs will say that the fishery is in trouble and needs strict control. Just because a limited number of rec's don't harvest, don't report accurately, or don't target a species is no reason to give slack to nmfs. A lot of the comm lbs go to markets where they are not sold as food but frozen and used for feed/fertilizer. The lowly bluefish as many call it has more of an economic impact than practically any other fish caught in our waters. Hell, in May alone, look at all the effort being put into catching them, in the name of fun. If someone wants to c/r, fine, but in no way should the limits we have be given up.
    eagle aye likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.