Eating drum fish
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eating drum fish

Default Eating drum fish

Can anyone tell me the best way to eat drum fish i have tried it but i cant really get a good taste out of it.it tastes a bit like a bland veal
    anyone care to share a recipe to get some taste out of these big boys i keep hearing how good they are but i cant get it to work for me

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Default Drum fish recipe

I like to cut my drum into small pieces, like large fishsticks Then season you fish, the more the better. I put salt, pepper,cayenne pepper, onion powder. Dredge it in flour, saute in butter and olive oil. If you like garlic, saute that first before sauteing fish. Cook a few minutes on each side. Enjoy!

I tried 2 different way last night and liked them both. 1 - barbeque sauce. 2) marinate in red pepper, parmesan italian dressing for 45 min - then grill.

Very Tasty

coated some with a little olive oil and WEBERS BASIC BBQ dry rub and some with McCormicks Montreal steak seasoning, place in zip locks for 1-2hrs in the fridge and grilled.

I cut it into small pieces and breaded it. I hear it is good as parm too.Maybe next time.....
    scout 242 85 bullet sold

Default Veal?

I have eaten plenty of Drum in my life and never have I thought that it tasted like veal.
    Don't get me wrong....I think its a great table fish....but I wouldn't describe it as veal.

Tastes like a mild solid white fish when prepared as such....you could take anything...bread it....fry it....and cover it with cheese and marinara sauce and make it taste a little like veal.

My personal favorite....melted butter....lemon....cover in blackening season and directly on the grill.

Simple and perfect

Smile

The best way to eat drum fish ?

Cook, put into mouth, chew, swallow.

That's how I do it.
    Bennett Greene

Steak em- grill plain- coat with mango curry sauce. mmmm

We had drum last week and I made it into fish tacos. For the fish though, I just cut it into nice chunks and coated in olive oil and lots of lime zest. The fish itself was awesome.

caught my 1st drum on sat, so was having the same dilemma......last night I cut the fillets about 2 to 3 inch thick.....put them in my fish cage and cooked em on their side, like a drum chop, and covered with bbq sause......it was awsome and my 14 yo daughter even liked it...

the more well done the better for me anyhow...........good luck
    Saint Stephen will remain....all he's lost he shall regain.......LETS GO TEMPLE

my mothers and my favorite drum parmagion bread it fry it cover with sauce and cheese bake it eat it
    RFA,NRA,USGA,PGA LIFE MEMBER, FISHING & HUNTING & GOLFING NO WIFE NO KIDS MY MARRIED FREINDS ARE SO JEALOUS

The secret to any fish in my opinion is the way that it is cleaned. It should be cleaned as soon as possible after being caught. The dark sections of meat need to be removed. Use a sharp knife and filet them off after skining. If the fish is tempered (cold as possible) it becomes much easier. I always filet and skin at the dock, rinse, bag and get it on ice for the ride home. That keaps most of the mess away from the kitchen. Once home I remove the dark sections. At this time you should submerge the Drum in cold water, let it soak a few min. then change the water and repeat until the water is clear. If you dont do this with drum I find that it tastes like the bay water. After that prepare how you wish, Drum likes to be cooked through, most other fishes should stay to the softer side.
    Marinade: 1/4 cup Tequila (dont use cheap S@*t)
    3 tbs Fresh lime
    1 clove garlic
    2 tbs fresh chopped cilantro
    2 tbs olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste.
    I like to chunk the fish into cubes marinade for 30 min and skewer them, cook on med to high heat. Good with spanish rice and more tequila or ice cold beer
    So that the record of history is absolutely crystal clear. That there is no alternative way, so far discovered, of improving the lot of the ordinary people that can hold a candle to the productive activities that are unleashed by a free enterprise system.
    Milton Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by bubble
    my mothers and my favorite drum parmagion bread it fry it cover with sauce and cheese bake it eat it
    I too think it tastes like veal, and what better way to have veal. Also do a marsala wine sauce. inexpensive and goood

Default thanks

thanks for all the tips ill give them a try

thanks again

All the guys are offering recipes, but not answer to your specific question - which was " how to eat drum fish " ?

So, as I said:
    1. Put fish in mouth.
    2. Chew
    3. Swallow
    4. Repeat

Ok, ok, get pissed. I just can't resist. Try, but can't.
    Bennett Greene

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.