This Fisherman Can't Be Bought
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This Fisherman Can't Be Bought

Angry This Fisherman Can't Be Bought

OBAMA'S 'ANTI-STIMULUS' PACKAGE HITS MASS COAST
    Behavior Modification Study Aimed At Reducing Angler Participation

What would you be willing to give up in exchange for $500?
    If the U.S. Department of Education offered you $500 to keep your kid out of school for a few weeks, would you take it? What if the government explained that this was simply a study designed to determine exactly how much you felt your child's education was worth? Would the results of such a study encourage your support for such behavior modification analysis?

How about if the Department of Health offered you $500 to give up coffee with sugar for one month? Or, what about a government-funded study where random voters are given the option of accepting $500 in exchange for their right to vote in November? Would you accept a $500 check to read only certain types of books or download specific kinds of songs?

If you think about it, such 'willingness-to-pay' research could prove invaluable in providing our state and federal government agencies with important data about the financial line which Americans are willing to cross in exchange for valuable goods, services, rights & privileges. Sociologists love this type of data, and it's arguably an excellent way to determine a financial threshold for changing behavioral habits of American citizens.

The problem that most Americans have with studies like these is that it's social engineering at U.S. taxpayer expense. This type of behavior modification might be fine for a grad student working on some Ivy League college campus, but the thought that our own government would freely support such 'willingness to pay' studies through taxpayer funds is one that liberals and conservatives alike should each find quite troubling.

Regrettably, our government is actively engaged in just this type of behavior modification study, whereby Massachusetts anglers are being asked to accept $500 in taxpayer funds to give up their right to fish recreational in marine waters there for the rest of 2012. The obvious question is how on earth our Department of Commerce can justify paying Americans to stay at home and not spend their money on items of commerce, notably sportfishing in Massachusetts?

In any other American business, this type of government action would be met with quite a bit of disdain and discomfort, worthy of national headlines - for our recreational fishing industry however, it's just another one of a thousand cuts felt by local business people every single day of the year.

Here's what we do know; NOAA Fisheries and the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) which is managed under the auspice of the Department of Commerce, is currently undertaking a socioeconomic study in conjunction with the state of Massachusetts whereby approximately 700 saltwater anglers have been offered cash in exchange for the anglers' willingness to give up his/her right to fish. Those licensed Massachusetts anglers who accept the offer will receive up to $500 apiece following their willingness to give up their fishing license and all rights to fish in state coastal waters in 2012.

In a recent conference call with stakeholders, NOAA Fisheries explained that approximately 25% of those 700 anglers had responded favorably by agreeing to give up their right to fish in 2012 in exchange for cold, hard cash. In agreeing to accept the government's terms, these particular Massachusetts residents are agreeing to not fish this season, which means no need to visit the local tackle shop, giving up any charter/headboat trips this summer and making plans other than those surrounding a saltwater angling trip with family and friends.

If NOAA Fisheries' estimates are correct, 175 respondents will actually be giving up their right to fish in saltwater this season. According to socioeconomic data on saltwater angling habits that already exists through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service however, the final economic impact within the Massachusetts coastal fishing community amounts to approximately $201,425 in overall consumer spending.

For anglers 16 and older, total trip and equipment expenditures by saltwater anglers averages about $1,151 per person, with $219 spent annually on food & lodging, $137 on transportation expenses, and $795 per angler directly related to fishing equipment and services. It doesn't take too long to figure out that if dad is spending over a thousand bucks a year on fishing for fluke, cod, sea bass or other inshore species, if he sells off his 'fishing privileges' for the season then he's probably not taking the teens and pre-teens on a fishing vacation in 2012 - which means there's more economic loss than even the statistics show.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service's data indicates that there are approximately 298,000 saltwater anglers in the state of Massachusetts who in 2006 spent more than $494.6 million on saltwater fishing tackle alone. Approximately 69% of those anglers fished by boat in 2006, meaning that there is also money being spent on boat preparation and docking, fuel, and other services related to the marine industry. If nearly 70% of those 175 respondents and their families keep their boat under wraps in 2012 to take advantage of the government's recreational fisherman buyout study - that too will have a trickle down financial impact within the Massachusetts coastal community.

At a time when our Department of Commerce and the entire Obama Administration should be helping spur economic growth in America, it's hard to fathom how the sociologists and economists at NOAA Fisheries can justify such a deplorable study in behavior modification theory. It's essentially the counter-opposite to a federal stimulus package, one which is micromanaged at a state and regional level to see what happens to businesses when customers are lured away to other pursuits.

Spending priceless taxpayer dollars on ways of limiting consumer spending in beleaguered coastal communities is the worst kind of social engineering one could possibly imagine, and it provides a perfect example of why this Administration's jobs initiatives have failed miserably.

Take a kid fishing. Save the fishermen, protect an endangered species.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I just spent 30 mins on the phone with the census bureau asking what I spend on everything fish and game, it was a three part survey asking every question you can think of about what and how much I spent on fish and game in 2011. Then this news. We live in scary times, sounds like they are trying to justify something they are about to pull on the american sportsman.
    Bankers, stockbrokers, lawyers and politicians should all be thrown in the fire, the first thing they will change is the second amendment. Then it will be easier for them to do what they please. So far they haven't had to pay the piper for the financial crash in 08. But maybe now more people are aware and they might have to pay the piper. There are a lot of real criminals running around loose, a lot of us Americans suffer for the 1 percent's crimes. They are richer for it.

Do they wanna find out how much we spend on fishing,and what new law they can make up to charge us for fishing in the ocean ?
    Or am i reading this wrong?
    Land of the free ???
    Gaff in the head doesen`t mean your in the boat!

This doesnt make much sense. What type of data could they gather from this expirement that can be of any use? Why would there be any study on an industry to weaken it?

Let the fraud begin...buy a licence, then turn it in for $500. You know it going to happen.

C-Hawk 16 CC, 60 Yamaha, Hobie Mirage Sport

I don't always know what I want, but I usually know what I don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by Catspaw View Post
    Let the fraud begin...buy a licence, then turn it in for $500. You know it going to happen.
    Yeah, if they offered me 500.00, I'd take the money and then go fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat man in a little boat View Post

Way to go, let's call it a stimulus incentive then, or for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat man in a little boat View Post

I wonder how many people take the money and go fishing anyway. I can see it now, some guy on a party boat telling another fisherman the government paid him $500 not to go fishing. I spent over $4000 to go fishing last year. That includes boat slip fee and insurance. My tax dollars I spent to go fishing is paying for people not to go fishing. I think I will report this to 60 Minutes or 20/20 to see if they will run a story on this. First, the government wants us to buy a quota shares permit and now the government wants to pay us $500 to stop fishing. Give me a break!
    Take a kid fishing. Save the fishermen, protect an endangered species.

Block,
    Good job at posting some facts and figures.
    Totally insane. If this was a CA initiative, I'd say they were dipping into the medical marijuana, but Mass?
    Last edited by Fisherdudes; 03-17-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Howard (and my boy, Alex)

Default Three "Treatments"

Here is the unbiased version. http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/press_rele...ciSpot/SS1204/
    It is a freakin survey and you may or may not be offerd money. Personally, the look on my kids face when they catch a species they have never caught before is "priceless" and I wouldn't trade my license for cash. For people who don't fish often, maybe some bucks is better for them. To each his own. I just hate when people tell half a story and it gets others in an uproar over nothing.
    2002 Trophy 2002WA w/ Suzuki DF140

Quote Originally Posted by sanzania View Post
    Here is the unbiased version. http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/press_rele...ciSpot/SS1204/
    It is a freakin survey and you may or may not be offerd money. Personally, the look on my kids face when they catch a species they have never caught before is "priceless" and I wouldn't trade my license for cash. For people who don't fish often, maybe some bucks is better for them. To each his own. I just hate when people tell half a story and it gets others in an uproar over nothing.
    Notice that is a .gov website, the government would never tell half a story, or make one up.

Just to be fair I didn't even click on that link.

Just read it, I still agree with Capt Block, taxpayer dollars, and who cares who is doing the survey, if they survey the wrong people that don't care about fishing how is that supposed to represent all of us anglers??? They are not talking to everyone, its a small percentage of the whole.

??????????

Atleast Quantech is involved, but the state still provided the "randomly selected list of fisherman". It probably would have been smart to let Quantech select from the full list of anglers so that you can be assured it is truly a random survey.

I know of more than a few ways that I could fudge the data through limitation of the selection pool regardless of which side of the fence I was on.

Even if it is truly random, I question the tactic of dangling $500 infront of someone's face during these economic times, and then to call it science. I would bet that a good majority of the people who actually need the $500 check are going to take it and just go fishing anyway. A few citations and they are still in the black.

Anyone able to get a copy of the literature that is sent to the MA boys along with the check?

RyanF
    "In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when conserved by sportsmen. The excellent people who protest against all hunting and consider sportsmen as enemies of wildlife are ignorant of the fact that in reality the genuine sportsman is, by all odds, the most important factor in keeping the larger and more valuable wild creatures from total extermination"

-Teddy Roosevelt

500 is not enough to stop fishing

They can give me $500 not to fish in Mass for the rest of thr year! I'm fine fishing the Bay and spending that $500the on gas and bait

Let it Ride
    25' Wellcraft/300 HP Yamaha

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.