Fluke Reduction Insane for '2017...Please Respond
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Fluke Reduction Insane for '2017...Please Respond

Exclamation Fluke Reduction Insane for '2017...Please Respond

My Letter: I am against any reduction in Summer Flounder fishing for '2017. Since the Magnuson Stevenson Act was enacted, the recreational fishery adhered to the the limits and quotas for approx. a 10 yr. period from '99 to '2010. The recreation catch limit in NJ is at 4 fish in Delaware Bay. You are being ridiculous wanting to make it less. Now your contemplating reducing the catch again by a whopping 30% up to 40%. I protest any reductions being enacted to the recreational fishery. Impose limits to the Commercial Industry. It's due to them the fishing numbers are where they are. No way overfishing is caused by the recreational fisherman. http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cf...t=2&start=5259 Please respond at: https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=NOAA-NMFS-2016-0138
    ***"SeaMaid"... Port Norris Marina***

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

They jump all over the rec fisherman because we have no lobbyists or real representation regarding this issue. If they were to reduce the commercial take you can imagine the screaming and yelling that likely would insue. Just look at the amount of fish that the commercial boats take let alone the loss of the by catch that is dumped. Politics, totally disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!
    heavy389 and fishanuk like this.
    Jerry

I couldn't agree more. This year was the worst when it came to fluke fishing for me. Cape May used to be great, now, you go to the CMR and all you catch are 16 inch flounder. The reduction is ridiculous. I was able to keep just 2 fluke all season. The science used to determine the number of fish caught is flawed - have you ever been asked about the number of fish you caught and kept? Ever seen someone from the Mid Atlantic Fisheries at your dock interviewing you about what you caught? I fishing in Puerto Rico in 2014, received a survey in the mail from their govt asking about what I caught, where and how many.
    fishanuk and heavy389 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

i agree with CHUGGY 100%. i have been fishing for 30+ years and have never once been asked about how many fish I did or didn't catch! Only when stopped by CO did anybody know how many fish i caught and they don't keep track unless you have too many!!
    heavy389 likes this.

I was asked once in my 15+ years of saltwater fishing. It was at the free ramp in cape may and they were only concerned about stripers. I was tog fishing at the time and he wanted nothing to do with me
    heavy389 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Anton View Post
    They jump all over the rec fisherman because we have no lobbyists or real representation regarding this issue. If they were to reduce the commercial take you can imagine the screaming and yelling that likely would insue. Just look at the amount of fish that the commercial boats take let alone the loss of the by catch that is dumped. Politics, totally disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yep,fishing sucked this year somehow there always manages to be plenty of fish for sale at the market.The recs have to get together with groups like the RFA to get the Comm. fishing stopped
    heavy389 likes this.

Practice catch and release

Support the Billfish Foundation
    Former member JumpingJoe

one day we wont be allowed to recreational fish ..the way we are going..we will all be poachers ..the system is rigged against us ..a truckload full of cash might work
    heavy389 likes this.

This is freaking insane to think that we're the problem. The commercial boats kill everything. There bi catch from what I have seen with my own eyes is what is killing it. The commercial boats need a massive reduction and laws strictly enforced. We are the least of the problem. We have to argue this before people start poaching. I can't say enough about this other then we're not the issue here. There is no freaking way in hell that this is our fault.
    heavy389 likes this.

I agree with everything 100%. I may not have been fishing this bay as long as most of the captains on here. However, the three or four keepers that came across my deck in the last few years does say something. Seems to be an ongoing thing when I'm talking to some of the other captains along my dock.

At my marina on the dark side, I get asked 2-3 times a season. If I fished more who knows
    2006 Seaswirl Striper 2101WA Cedar Creek Marina PHILLIES, EAGLES, FLYERS

So if you caught only 2 keepers all season do you think the fishery in in good shape?? Seems pretty awful to me. We need to stop the dragging offshore for the flounder first and then see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggy View Post
    I couldn't agree more. This year was the worst when it came to fluke fishing for me. Cape May used to be great, now, you go to the CMR and all you catch are 16 inch flounder. The reduction is ridiculous. I was able to keep just 2 fluke all season. The science used to determine the number of fish caught is flawed - have you ever been asked about the number of fish you caught and kept? Ever seen someone from the Mid Atlantic Fisheries at your dock interviewing you about what you caught? I fishing in Puerto Rico in 2014, received a survey in the mail from their govt asking about what I caught, where and how many.
    fish8 likes this.
    TIGHT LINES TO ALL.
    TOM PALMER

Agree with the above. However, dropping the bag limit will only affect Gordon and a few random lucky souls...
    bluefishbones likes this.

Let it Ride
    25' Wellcraft/300 HP Yamaha

shouldnt be no netters aloud netting Thats that promblem
    fdformicola and SaltyShepherd like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggy View Post
    I'm on what you guy's term the dark side but I have been asked many times about my catch and they have also taken measurements and weights as well. Happens often when I launch out of Lewes. There is somebody watching in DE. It also happens up the bay/river when I launch out of Delaware City and they are surveying stripers.
    Last edited by willf650; 01-10-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Theres plenty of Fluke around,just go to your local supermarket i bet they got plenty.

Practice catch and release

Support the Billfish Foundation
    Former member JumpingJoe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.