chumming the surf?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: chumming the surf?

Default chumming the surf?

has anyone ever chummed or thought of chumming the surf? what i had in mind was filling a stocking with broken up clam or chopped up meat (bunker, mack or the such) and wing it out upwind from myself with a few pounds attached to keep bottom. thoughts?
    1971 Grand Prix SJ turbocharged 455 670rwhp 10psi streetcar.. my other hobby

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Been there done that. Have I had success? Yeah sure. Have I brought in trash fish(snadsharks, sea robins, skates) more often?...YES.
    Based on my own experience I do not do it anymore.

Nick

If you do this you have to romise to cahnge your display name to "Chumbag", lol.... Seriously though, if this was an effective strategy i'm sure everyone would be doing it. Also when the fish are hitting there is enough fisherman with bait in the water that it acts as a natural chum slick. You never know though if you feel good about it do it. I would check the regs though. I'm not sure if this is even legal....

touche' . never thought about the trash fish it would bring in. just a thought. but you figure on those off days when the beach is empty and you just feel like being there fishing and trash fish are welcome just to hook up with something then it may not be a bad idea.
    1971 Grand Prix SJ turbocharged 455 670rwhp 10psi streetcar.. my other hobby

Not a real secret trick but my dad and I try to match the chum with the bait we are using. We grind up smelly clams or mullet and freeze them in aluminum cans. But you can grind up pretty much anything. Bait shops will practically give you old bait or sell it cheap. The trick is to create an oil scented slick, not feed them. As it thaws out it releases scent. Thaw it a little so it comes out of the can and launch it. You don't have to toss it 300 yards, the undertow will carry it out. I have a seperate freezer in the garage I use to do this. Your wife and the neighbors will love you when you grind up the bait or a fish carcus.

Does it work? Probably not but it is not going to hurt your chances either. Had slow days that the bite turned on after tosing out a few chum cubes. But no amount of chum is going to remain concentrated in an area when the waves are always moving the water around.

Scott,
    A few barners are close by in East Falls. To piggy on the prior post. I had a great fishing day kindof by mistake I guess. Bought a bushel of clams in the shell and had them on bags of ice. The ice melted and the clammies started dying so I shucked them all and put the shells back in the burlap bag. Meant to take to the beach that night but forgot and left them soaking up the sun the next day. The next evening after dinner, I took all the stinky clam shells to the suds and tossed them in. For the next hour or so my nephews and I hit the stripes pretty good. I've also tried to repeat the process with some success on days and none on others-I guess the secret is to put in the time and you'll get the fish, some days more than others.
    Joe

Exclamation

Scott, yes, yes, YES !

Research this more, there's a lot to learn about chumming the surf.
    Yes, it is true, you will pick up more junk fish, but, lets finish that story.
    Just before the big girls come in to feed, the junk fish will vanish, ( it seems like they know the big girls are coming and they (the junk fish) are running for there lives! Heres another good point, Would you rather sit there and stair at the water and catch nothing? OR, Pick up an occasional doggy, skate, croaker? Remember, something is better than nothing.

hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.