Surf Belts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Belts

Default Surf Belts

How do you carry your stuff on the beach? Plug Storage is something you can always improve on it seems, would be cool to get some ideas.

Post them up!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Check out Tackle Solutions, I am going to one of these with a small belt pack
    ShoreBird
    jmfedgchin@comcast.net

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fly fish and you sell him rods, reels, and equipment for a lifetime."
    --
    Sandee Middleton
    AMSA 852

Stay Thirsty My Friend
    http://home.comcast.net/~jmfedgchin/goodday4.jpg

I use a dive belt that I purchased from Ronny at Fisherman's Supply in Point Pleasant, and a MAK bag.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBanks View Post
    How do you carry your stuff on the beach? Plug Storage is something you can always improve on it seems, would be cool to get some ideas.

Post them up!
    There is another site that has 16 or so pages of just plugging bags. It would be good to see one started here. Some of those guys on the other site have quite a collection of plugs. Me I lime to keep it simple. I have a cube canvas bag with 6 tubes that I carry on an army surplus utility belt but , I would like something tighter fitting.
    Live 2 Fish
    <><
    Forced 2 Work

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Lamberty View Post
    There is another site that has 16 or so pages of just plugging bags. It would be good to see one started here. Some of those guys on the other site have quite a collection of plugs. Me I lime to keep it simple. I have a cube canvas bag with 6 tubes that I carry on an army surplus utility belt but , I would like something tighter fitting.
    I agree. I have mine down but always nice to see what others are doing. I use a commando belt with a CS plier sheath, a D-ring with clips and swivels, D-ring to clip my bag to if I have it in my shoulder, an Ebbpoint Bucktail pouch that I use for eels as well, and my Boga.

When I wetsuit the bag goes directly onto the belt. I'll get pictures soon.
    Last edited by OnTheBanks; 01-31-2014 at 11:11 AM.

For this spring I'm going to try using a belt for the first time. I bought a used dive belt($15) from DJ Muller, a used Aquaskinz Elite Hunter Double barrel bag($50), a Tactical Anglers pouch(present), an Aquaskinz bucktail pouch($20), pliers and Fish grip. I just picked up a Mak short single tube($25) to use instead of the bucktail pouch. The TA pouch and AS pouch on the same side took up a lot of room.

The AS EH bag also has a shoulder strap so maybe I'll use that to free up some space on the belt. As Joe mentioned there is a great thread else where and saw someone uses suspenders to help keep the belt up. I may try that idea. Maybe not when wearing waders but perhaps for bridges, inlet jetties or warm water wading.

I should be set. I was able to get quality gear without breaking the bank. There has been a lot of good gear being sold in forums so unless you want custom stuff you can score some good stuff without having to pay full price.
    You can't really be a fisherman and a pessimist.
    I don't want to have a nice day. I want to catch big fish.

2" dive belt, AS small/tall bag, pliers, fish grip, small folding knife.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surf belt II.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	110074
    Last edited by Beast26; 01-31-2014 at 06:01 AM.
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Found a bag builder called Flatlander Surfcasting. Will be at show in Lincroft next week. Super strong well built bags, and will do custom work. Got a 3 tube bag with integrated plier sheath, water bottle holder, and removable side pouch (with bucktail holders). When I compared it to other bags, was surprised how much stronger this was!
    \"I\'m busy...busy catching fish\"

Now broadcasting from the new MOVE compound somewhere on Absecon Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Found a bag builder called Flatlander Surfcasting. Will be at show in Lincroft next week. Super strong well built bags, and will do custom work. Got a 3 tube bag with integrated plier sheath, water bottle holder, and removable side pouch (with bucktail holders). When I compared it to other bags, was surprised how much stronger this was!
    Looked at their gear on Facebook. What's the pricing like. Their web page isn't available. Are they going to be at Surf Day?

I humped a surf bag around the beach for most of my life... every time I went out, it got heavier. Throw in another plug, add a few more leadheads, what about a weighed treble.. got to a point that my left shoulder was 6" lower than my right! No kidding, it was really giving me back pain and it was shortening my time on the beach.

About 5 years ago I tossed the bag with the tubes on the shelf in the garage and bought a VS fanny pack. Heavy canvas, 2 side pouches for terminal tackle, plier sheath, couple of D-rings to clips stuff on.... and no more back pain.

It is a little bit more difficult to get my plugs out fast since they share the same compartment and loe to lock up with each other, but in the long run it was totally worth it... hardly feel the pack and it actually is wide and rigid enough in the back to support my lower back a little.

VS does not make the fanny pack anymore but when mine finally quits I am going to buy something just like it... done with shoulder straps forever.

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

Your "friend in the business" at TackleDirect 1-888-354-7335

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist

Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI FOR SALE!
    http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/sho...ector-for-sale
    Marvelous Margate NJ

Quote Originally Posted by fmTuna View Post
    done with shoulder straps forever.
    Another thing you might like is a fly-fishing vest. With one of these, you can get everything you carry except for plugs -- pliers, measuring tape, a box of cigars, terminal tackle, a pint of Old Crow, a fly box filled with teasers, a copy of Nugget magazine, etc. -- in the pockets of the vest. It's amazing how much stuff you can fit in one of these things, and you don't notice the weight because you carry the weight on your shoulders, not on your back.

Add a small, belt-mounted plug bag, and you're good to go -- and you can walk for many miles with this kind of setup. Ditching a the shoulder strap is definitely a good thing.

The only issue with fly-fishing vests is that they are made for fly-fishing, not surfcasting. I've toyed with the idea of designing and making one specifically for us surf rats, but I have nowhere near enough time even to start thinking about this, let alone actually doing it. After I hit the lottery, and can live a life of ease, I'll put it on my list. For now, though, the fly vest, though imperfect, works well for me.

I use a dive belt with only a pliers and knive and I carry my ebb point bag I wouldn't want mt bag on my belt with waders if something goes wrong and you would need to ditch your bag how do you do it without taking off your belt

Michaelc. Yes. He will be at Surf Day. Not sure about pricing.. mine was custom designed. Try contacting him through FB, I know he is working to get webpage up. Shoot me an email.
    Last edited by Walter; 02-06-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    \"I\'m busy...busy catching fish\"

Depends on if you are looking for something that is going to last for years or just something to get you through a season or two. Here's what I use:

Tiderunner ultimate surf belt - $40 (much better than a 'diving' belt. same idea, just better built and has velcro)
    MAK Angler 4 Tube bag or MAK Angler 2 tube belt bag $150 and $95 respectively - I've been using these bags for 2 years and they are just beginning to break in. If you want to you can spend big money on a custom or semi custom or go the cheaper route and get a season or two out of a bag.

There's many good bags out there now, just depend on how much you want to spend and if you want something that will last for years and years or only a few seasons. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by IgotWORMS View Post

Tiderunner ultimate surf belt - $40 (much better than a 'diving' belt. same idea, just better built and has velcro)
    MAK Angler 4 Tube bag or MAK Angler 2 tube belt bag $150 and $95 respectively - I've been using these bags for 2 years and they are just beginning to break in. If you want to you can spend big money on a custom or semi custom or go the cheaper route and get a season or two out of a bag.

There's many good bags out there now, just depend on how much you want to spend and if you want something that will last for years and years or only a few seasons. Good luck in your search.

How do you the belt? I had one and while it was nice, I actually didn't like the velcro that much. It's nice that it will never come off, but I felt it would be way too hard to get off in a pinch if I had to, and I lost a lot of space on the belt in an area where I wanted to carry something. He makes a GREAT belt, just not my thing. I switched to another belt and have been happy.

As for bags, I know all about it. I had a MAK bag that got beat up after about 2 years. Great bag for the price, but I ended up having a Commando 3 tube bag custom built that gets the most use now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast