BASS BARN banner

October - November threads

21K views 74 replies 44 participants last post by  Even Steven 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Please use this thread for FISHING REPORTS only. Post as much useful info as possible i.e., general location, size of fish, stage of tide, time of day, weather conditions, water conditions, bait, lures, colors, etc....

And remember, we all know the "SPOTS." Please do not burn them by posting them on the board. General locations only, i.e, Monmouth county, Ocean county, Atlantic county, Cape May county, etc....

Thanx to all of you who contribute to our Surf Fishing reports

#35 · (Edited)
OCNJ. Middle of the island. Surf. Outgoing tide, just before the sandbar became exposed. Morning. Sunny. Wind out of south southeast. Clean and clear ocean water. Metal lure, Hopkins-type, with a red and white tail feather. Casting parallel to the beach side of the sandbar, (in the gully). Retrieving just fast enough to keep the lure off of the bottom.
One just-short striper. (My first in the surf.) Wonderfull fight.
I was with five other friends using a variety of bait in the surf at the same area. The only fish we got there was that striper.
Moved to Corson's, (the bay side of the inlet, not the ocean). As the tide was coming in, we saw several snapper blues caught on the bottom, from the shore, using small mullet chunks.

#36 ·
Fished SJ on Tuesday at first light with my father. I picked up a fat 20" tog and he picked up his first ever at 15". For some reason he had 10x the bites that I did but he could not come tight with any fish. He must have missed 20 good hits before finally hooking one. After much laughing, cussing, and much frustration he managed to hook one. I picked up one short at 14.5 as well. The wind was howling and conditions were tough. Not many people were catching.

#37 ·
Fished BL for tog Tuesday, at tide change- hardly anyone out except a few die-hards and the park ranger- for me, bad day fishing- lost rigs in the rocks, got dark fast, etc. (tog sleep???)
But first time I ever saw a huge swarm of bait fish off the point, blues and stipers underneath knocking the fish out of the water and the birds cleaning up. Of course I tried but the fish were destined to beat me yet again. The scene was still amazing and went on after dark- beautiful.

#39 ·
there was almost no grass when I worked the back and the inlet early. I moved to the front, still not much grass/weed, but some guys went by me and before I left came back saying the inlet was filled with weed, so seems like it got worse as the incoming proressed.

#40 ·
Some pretty good fishing this week had 2 real good nights with a lot of short fish. Once I found them it was pretty stupid fishing. Racked up some big numbers this week. Found fish at every stop last night just can't find that keeper size pod of bass. Real fun last nite to finding them feeding in a foot of water.

#42 ·
Fished corsons in front on incoming from 330 to 630. Water was clean with a little weed near shorebreak but clean out to cast distance. Bunker chunks and clam. Had two nice runoffs on two different rods. One right after other. Reeled one line in lost it. Then the other rod went down. Never saw that one either. Did not get a good hookset with the bunkerchunk. Then landed a big skate. Then a doogie and another skate. It was time to go. Wish i saw the first two. Sure was nice down there with a fantastic sunset. Some porpoises and ducks feeding in the sand near the shorebreak.

#46 ·
I fished Strathmere this afternoon. Clam and bunker. Not a tap. Surf was loaded with sea weed. I thought it was a really low tide, a lot of beach exposed.

#48 ·
Went to wildwood monday to spend 60 hours of fishing (minus the eagles game)... I threw eels and plugs off of the rocks for 6 hours monday night without a tap. I went togging tuesday at sunrise caught a keeper and filleted it at No Bones. I scouted Cold Springs Inlet and started to feel sick. Next thing ya know I'm layed up with a sore throat/ear ache and slept for 12 hours. I wanted to get back to fishing on wednesday morning but I decided to see the doctor because I have season ending shoulder surgery on tuesday and can't be sick for that. This has been the worst striper season so far. I didn't even see a single baitfish in the wildwood area. I should stick to tog.

#52 ·
Good luck with the shoulder.............had mine done in June, it has taken longer than I thought it would.

#50 ·
long beach island state park

Spent the morning 7-11 fishing two lines with bunker, also threw an assortment of lures. not even a tap. Plenty of fisherman all up and down the park. Only spoke to two others and they had the same result. It was a beautiful looking day just had no results

#51 ·
Top of the tide....water loaded with seaweed and rolling to the south. Reeling in a bunker chunk I hooked up with a 26" striper on a ff rig.

#54 ·
fished CM beaches with fresh bunker, it is still the dead sea, left the beach after dark hit a couple of bridges on the way home the water was lifeless no bait to be found anywhere I thought last year was really bad but this year is even worst ot worster:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.