Miscellaneous report thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous report thread

Default Miscellaneous report thread

The last couple years the report thread on this forum has been dull. Can't really blame people for not posting though. "Loose lips sink ships" and there is no advantage in giving the pack a heads up on the bite. Daily reports only lead to mobs in already crowded spots. The pack used to be about 3 weeks behind the good bite but now the smartphone puts them about 3 minutes away from the bite. I have stopped posting reports because of this type of "internet fishing".

So if you want to post what you did in the past feel free to post in this thread.

If you had a great outing say 3 years ago and want to post it here great!

If you keep any sort of log and want to post that info here thats great too!

If you fished yesterday, last week, or last night feel free to post here.

Skunk reports are always welcome too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I will start it off...

4/5/12

9:30am - 1:15pm

a deep south jersey beach

High tide 4:56 am
    Low tide 11:10am

SW wind 10 - 15 mph
    Overcast early, becoming sunny, high of 70

2 - 3 oz to hold bottom

Moon 35% waning

Bait present: saw one small splash on the surface

Species caught : 2 stripers around 27"

Techniques used : fresh bunker fishfinder rig

Notes: Stripers were caught between 10:30am and 11am. They aggressively hit bait and hooked themselves. Saw some dolphins out there.

3/07/17 - 3/08/17 I had a skunk in my yard last night. More white than black.

fdformicola likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

LOL Last spring I damn near got stabbed by a big ray. The 4 inch bone on its tail hit the boot on my wader and broke off. Their tails are way more flexible than I gave them credit for. As for how many striped bass were caught on those two days last spring...

I like the idea I will post exactly where I fish with all the info this way you will know where not to go and what not to use or do this should be helpful I do like the idea any info can be helpful. If anyone has a spot and would like to help out an old guy I am sworn to secrecy and I can be reached thru email
    Last edited by fdformicola; 03-08-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    rob likes this.

turn the poachers in & stop the waste

just a little more C&R
    let fishin be fun
    KILL ONLY WHAT YOU EAT
    BUY AMERICAN
    XVlll Abn Corp 65' to 67'

Fred, I think you know the spot. I think I still have your number. It is bass after bass one tide and dog sharks the next 5 tides. You just have to get lucky and be there when the time is right.

Quote Originally Posted by fdformicola View Post
    I like the idea I will post exactly where I fish with all the info this way you will know where not to go and what not to use or do this should be helpful I do like the idea any info can be helpful. If anyone has a spot and would like to help out an old guy I am sworn to secrecy and I can be reached thru email
    Sent you some mail!
    fdformicola likes this.

11/20/11

1:30am - 7:00am

deep SJ beach

High tide 3:22 am

Low tide 9:25 am

SSW wind 10 - 15

51 degrees, some clouds and not many stars visible

36% waning moon

no bait visible

Species caught: 18" striper, 40" 23lb striper

Techniques used: fresh bunker on fishfinder rig

Notes: bunker was not the freshest but still worked. Had a few small missed bites. 18" striper was caught at 2:15am. 40" striper was caught at 3:15am, right around the top of the tide. Had what felt like small blue hits around sunrise.

[/URL]
    fdformicola, NotAtWork and RickR like this.

Friday 9/26/14 - Sat 9/27/14

11:10pm - 7:00am

In the back, SJ

High tide 10:02pm
    Low tide 4:21am
    High tide 10:27am

Light variable winds becoming N to 15 at sunrise

Clear skies, 60, slight N wind had a chill in the air, very comfortable night.

2% waxing moon

Water still dirty from a recent noreaster

saw some needlefish out there and some small 2" bait

Caught 6 stripers to 26", 5 cocktail blues and a 19" flounder.

Used jigs, poppers, bucktail and bomber 15a

First spot got there and water was still going S to N. Waited for tide to switch and water slowly went N to S. Had a 15" striper on 1st cast. Had a couple bumps after that but fish not committing to the 15a. Spot wasnt producing like in the past so I moved on.

Went to another spot and briefly hooked up but lost a little one. There were fish feeding there but they got spooked after I lost that first one so I moved on. Went back to the first spot and nailed a FAT 26" fish. Thing almost looked deformed thats how fat he was. Got 3 more after that guy. Ran out of water there so I went back to the other spot and those fish were back on the feed. Got one on a 1/8 oz jig and fin-s. After that the tide came in and it was all cocktail blues. Got the flounder going under the blues with a bucktail.

Sun came up and I worked a popper but no bites.

Saw no mullet and very little bird activity at sunrise.
    RickR likes this.

fall 2011 was a good year. That was the first year I seriously surf fished. I wish the sand eels would come back! They really made for some easy fun fishing
    WreckinBall and Tidewalker like this.

I'll throw a report in ....

9/27/2012 –
    Corson’s & Strathmere – Waxing Gibbous

Light East South East wind. Mostly Cloudy Skies. Mid 70’s. Stalled front pretty much right over us. Water still warm, low 70’s. High tide around 7pm. Planning on netting some mullet at Corson’s and either staying there or heading to the beach in Strathmere.
    Netted some mullet at Corsons, wasn’t as easy as time before but still plenty around. Went to 5th Street in SIC to meet up with Uncle Rich. Spot were back in the surf so we had ample bait. I decided to try for something larger so I was live lining whole mullet and spot. Most of the time though the blues were just biting them right in half. Uncle Rich was nailing the snapper blues in the closest cut to the beach about 20 -30 yards out. Once high tide passed and it started getting dark I started using cut bait in the same area. My rod had one real good bend over but I missed it. Five minutes later or so I landed my first Red Drum. Continued to land some Blues and then called it a night.
    Tidewalker and NotAtWork like this.
    Most People Just Don't Understand Why We Fish....

Here's how it went.... As was my custom I would make some casts on my way to work, maybe skip lunch and make a few casts, depending on the tides, maybe stop and make some casts on the way home after work. Well this was on the way in. Hit a bank on the intercoastal pre dawn. Casting a crystal minnow, as was my custom, out over some shelves with a nice moving tide. Just after daybreak I make a long cast, out into the current. No sooner does my lure hit the water and it is hit instantly. I know this is a nice fish. After some time I'm getting the fish close and can see this is the largest weakfish I have ever seen. I'm standing on an intermediate shelf in water almost knee deep. Nowhere to back up... I have about a three foot wide shelf I'm landing this fish on. As I'm grabbing the leader to pull the fish up on the shelf, just as I get it there at my feet the crystal minnow pops out of the fishes mouth. I'm pretty pumped, this weak is huge! It's at my feet and writhing back and forth trying to get off the shelf. This is when it went into slow motion. I had it inbetween my legs trying to squeeze it. It wiggled some more. Tried to grab a gill plate. It wiggled some more... Now the fish is getting to the edge. I stand up and begin flailing with my rod, trying to foul hook the fish with my crystal minnow... It's not to be... Slowly, in super slow motion she moves over the edge, her back is now in the water again and she is free. I don't know how long that took. Seemed like it was forever. Standing there looking at the spot where the largest weakie I have seen to this day disappeared with my rod in hand, I look up. There's a guy passing about 100 yards out in a small John boat. He had a front row seat for the show. I looked at him, he was looking at me. I shrugged my shoulders. It was over... Off to work.
    NotAtWork and Tidewalker like this.
    " The longer they're on, the bigger that hole is getting." The Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Seeker View Post
    Here's how it went.... As was my custom I would make some casts on my way to work, maybe skip lunch and make a few casts, depending on the tides, maybe stop and make some casts on the way home after work. Well this was on the way in. Hit a bank on the intercoastal pre dawn. Casting a crystal minnow, as was my custom, out over some shelves with a nice moving tide. Just after daybreak I make a long cast, out into the current. No sooner does my lure hit the water and it is hit instantly. I know this is a nice fish. After some time I'm getting the fish close and can see this is the largest weakfish I have ever seen. I'm standing on an intermediate shelf in water almost knee deep. Nowhere to back up... I have about a three foot wide shelf I'm landing this fish on. As I'm grabbing the leader to pull the fish up on the shelf, just as I get it there at my feet the crystal minnow pops out of the fishes mouth. I'm pretty pumped, this weak is huge! It's at my feet and writhing back and forth trying to get off the shelf. This is when it went into slow motion. I had it inbetween my legs trying to squeeze it. It wiggled some more. Tried to grab a gill plate. It wiggled some more... Now the fish is getting to the edge. I stand up and begin flailing with my rod, trying to foul hook the fish with my crystal minnow... It's not to be... Slowly, in super slow motion she moves over the edge, her back is now in the water again and she is free. I don't know how long that took. Seemed like it was forever. Standing there looking at the spot where the largest weakie I have seen to this day disappeared with my rod in hand, I look up. There's a guy passing about 100 yards out in a small John boat. He had a front row seat for the show. I looked at him, he was looking at me. I shrugged my shoulders. It was over... Off to work.

Definitely true heartbreak there. Always sucks to lose a nice fish. Been there more times than I would like to admit. But sometimes the fish win and we lose. All part of the game. Great read!
    NotAtWork likes this.

Bump... Nobody's got nuttin?...

Ok, here's how it went. Same spot as it were, only late in the fall and at night. Chilly to say the least. I have to traverse some semi wooded terrain then through some reeds and over the edge down to the ledges. Now this year there were some "goings on" in the area that required a silt fence along the edge of the bank. Stepping over it in waders was getting rather old and this night I decided to take out a stake and lay the mesh down in "my spot" so I could walk over it. Damn thing was strung tight and the stakes were strong. No pulling it out. I'm gonna rock it back and forth and break the stake. Not easy, with rod in one hand I'm working it with the other. I lean on it with all I have and it goes SNAP! And I go over the edge rolling sindways I guess maybe three times. Landing on my face, on my ledge that I stand on, in about 16 inches of water! I jump up! Did that just happen? Hell yes. Is my pole broken? Hell no. However it was cold enough that my only thought at that moment was to get into my truck and get home. When I came back dry... The fence was still down. Mission accomplished.
    Tidewalker and rob like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.