Anchor Outboards, Bayville, NJ
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Anchor Outboards, Bayville, NJ

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dublin, Pa./ Mystic Island
    Posts
    606

    Thumbs down Anchor Outboards, Bayville, NJ

    My buddy who is new to boating took his boat to Anchor Outboards for a repower. His capacity plate says 90 hp max but the guy there tells him he has a used 115 that will work and not to worry. So my bud dropps the boat off and tells them to wait till he gets the ok from Polar. Well polar said no way so he calls Anchor and they want to keep his deposit and already took off the old motor the next day. After a week and a half with no return calls he drives down to get his boat and motor. Finally had to threaten with the cops but they did charge 200 bucks to get his boat back. I have heard other things about these scum bags and will never use them.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Elmer NJ
    Posts
    2,090

    Post Mho

    Your buddy should have not left the boat rated for A 90hp motor with A dealer that only had A 115hp motor.It would have been A USCG issue if he got in an accident or sunk it.And he certainly should have not left A dep on the motor if he didnt get the approval to do so from polor already.But being only rated for 90hp I wouldent think even A manufacture of boats can or would change there hp rating.just my two cents.
    capt.Mike Spinelli/FAST FORWARD/32 SCARAB


  4. #3
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,784

    Default

    I don't think he was looking for people to criticize his friend. He was pointing out some poor treatment from a business.

    This is the problem with today's BassBarn, everyone is quick to criticize and find fault with what the other person did.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    WEST BERLIN
    Posts
    344

    Default

    So true BIGSEXY !!


    21' EVERGLADES
    "HAWK"

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Winslow, Twp
    Posts
    6,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexy
    this is the problem with today's BassBarn
    The bassbarn is not the one that posted a member did, so how is it the bassbarn's fault.
    Member #22
    I pray that I may live to fish.......
    Until my dying day.
    And when it comes to my last cast,
    I then most humbly pray:
    When in the Lord's great landing net
    And peacefully asleep
    That in His mercy I be judged
    Big enough to keep.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    25,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dans
    My buddy who is new to boating took his........
    He trusted a person who was in the business. At least he had the sense to call the manufacturer before getting in too deep. That is why it makes sense to put deposits on a credit card sometimes. You can always contest it.

    Look at it this way, for a mere $200 bucks, he learned a few valuable lessons about bopating the hard way. Consider it an investment, he won't get taken again.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mystic Island
    Posts
    43,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexy
    I don't think he was looking for people to criticize his friend. He was pointing out some poor treatment from a business.

    This is the problem with today's BassBarn, everyone is quick to criticize and find fault with what the other person did.
    Doesn't really matter what he was looking for, what he'll get is the opinion of Barn members who bother to read his post bashing a business. We have the right to take whatever side we wish.

    That said, something sounds really wrong about a "professional" even suggesting overpowering a boat like that, much less taking a deposit to actually DO the job.

    It would be nice to get Anchor Outboard's version, cause right now it doesn't sound like they did the right thing here.
    .
    .

    .
    .

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mystic Island
    Posts
    43,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mako6950
    .......
    Look at it this way, for a mere $200 bucks, he learned a few valuable lessons about bopating the hard way. Consider it an investment, he won't get taken again.
    If the story reall occurred as it was told here, I would absolutely be pursuing a lawuit of some sort against this vendor. There is no way they would get away with keeping my deposit for suggesting/doing a job that is against manufacturer specifications.

    Is it ILLEGAL to overpower a boat?
    .
    .

    .
    .

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Elmer NJ
    Posts
    2,090

    Post

    I do not know anything about anchor outboards and dont really care but if A capacity plate says 90hp U cant rightfully put A 115hp motor on it.You will def run into A problem with your insurance coverage if you do not to mention the USCG if there happens to be A problem.Thats all I was saying!I feel that there was also A problem with anchor outboards and there sales people because they where going to install A motor to big for this guys boat.But he obviously new that the motor was to big for his boat so why not ck it out first not to be put into A predicament like this. just my 2 cents. (and to call anchor outboards on A open forum scumbags he could be sued for defomation of character)
    capt.Mike Spinelli/FAST FORWARD/32 SCARAB


  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    25,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac
    If the story reall occurred as it was told here, I would absolutely be pursuing a lawuit of some sort against this vendor. There is no way they would get away with keeping my deposit for suggesting/doing a job that is against manufacturer specifications.
    Princple is one thing, but you'll spend well more than $200 trying to collect it.

  12. #11
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Stalker
    The bassbarn is not the one that posted a member did, so how is it the bassbarn's fault.
    relax. I did not say it was Ron's fault or the mods. The BassBarn is a community.

    It is like saying, this is whats wrong with todays world. Of course it's not the worlds fault, it's the people that make up the world.

    You need to chill with thinking I'm attacking you. I guess I need to be more specific for certain people. Because I'm sure most of the other members understood my point.

    But here it goes for the few that can't understand......

    This is the problem with certian members of the Bassbarn today, is that better
    Last edited by xxxxxxxxBigSexy; 05-14-2008 at 10:19 PM.

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New jersey
    Posts
    7,485

    Default

    There is a bright side to this: we now have a group of people here that will think twice about dropping any boat or motor off at this place of business. So this $200 that they got from one person will cost them many dollars of lost business past that.

    We all have been down some road that is common to this in our early yrs of boating and we are all wiser from it.

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Forked River
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltflyfisherman
    There is a bright side to this: we now have a group of people here that will think twice about dropping any boat or motor off at this place of business. So this $200 that they got from one person will cost them many dollars of lost business past that.

    We all have been down some road that is common to this in our early yrs of boating and we are all wiser from it.
    Funny, I think most people would think that just from looking at the place.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wilmington,DE
    Posts
    426

    Default

    They should of never considered over powering the customers boat. They would be held responsible in court if any thing happen. The customer should
    of gotten all their money back.
    Boats:'87 Hydra-Sport 20 dual console,23 Maycraft Pilot House
    Running out of Money Island,NJ and Lewes De.
    Member: Fortescue Angler Assoc.- MSSA-NRA Life Memder
    Rudy Marine Proud Sponsor of the Bass Barn

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Winslow, Twp
    Posts
    6,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexy
    relax. I did not say it was Ron's fault or the mods. The BassBarn is a community.

    It is like saying, this is whats wrong with todays world. Of course it's not the worlds fault, it's the people that make up the world.

    You need to chill with thinking I'm attacking you. I guess I need to be more specific for certain people. Because I'm sure most of the other members understood my point.

    But here it goes for the few that can't understand......

    This is the problem with certian members of the Bassbarn today, is that better

    Thatís better than making a blanket statement that the barn is the problem.

    I said nothing about you attacking me, I just commented on you statement.
    Member #22
    I pray that I may live to fish.......
    Until my dying day.
    And when it comes to my last cast,
    I then most humbly pray:
    When in the Lord's great landing net
    And peacefully asleep
    That in His mercy I be judged
    Big enough to keep.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •