crab trap plans
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: crab trap plans

Default crab trap plans

I had a bunch of people email me for my plans to make a crab trap. Rather than reply to all of them, I thought I'd post it on here for everyone. First, let me say that these are not perfect, but they work good enough for me. The final trap measures 12" wide, 12" long and 6" high. Keep this in mind for when you bend the pieces.

Materials
    1 roll of 1" x 1" welded wire-can be bought at Tractor Supply
    snap rings-the kind you use to put hooks on fishing lures-I got mine at Wal-Mart.
    String to pull the traps up
    Float
    large swivels
    metal brake or some way to bend the wire. I used 2 2x4's with a hinge connecting them. I put the metal between them and closed the hinge.

1. Cutting the wire
    Cut the 1st piece of wire so it measures 16 X 12
    Cut the 2nd piece so it measures 24 x 12
    Cut the 2 doors so they measure 6 x 12

2. Bending the wire
    Bend the 1st piece so you have a "U" shaped piece: 2" down, 12" across and 2" up.
    Bend the 2nd piece so you have a "U" shaped piece: 6" down, 12" across and 6" up.

3. Putting together
    Now it is pretty simple to assemble. Use the snap rings to connect the two bent pieces together. There is only one way it can go. Now you should have a trap that is 12" long, 12" wide and 6" high. There will be a 4 x 12 opening on both ends. Get the doors and use the biggest snap rings to put them on (the bags of rings that I bought had different sizes). Now get about a 2' piece of string. Tie one end to the top of one of the doors. Thread it up through the top of trap and then down through the other side and tie it to the top of the other door. When the trap is laying flat, the door fall open. When you pull the string, the close trapping the crab inside. Take your float and put as much string on as you would need. Tie the swivel on to the end. The swivel is then used to snap onto the string on the trap. This makes it a lot easier when you are done for the day and are trying to clean up.

I'm not the best at describing how to make them, but this should get you started. If you can't figure it out, email me and I can send you some pics showing you step by step what I do. Good luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

Thanks Greg, looks simple enough, if it works for you it should work great for the rest of us.
    Jerry

hey guys, just go to blue-crab.org they have great plans with pics
    and everything you would want to know bout crabs.

Nice site! Now I'm craving Blue Claws!
    Excuses Breed Failure!!!

Banned

I think it is cheaper to buy the traps. I buy traps for about $6. You can probably get them cheaper if you shop around.

The cost of wire is way up. With the building boom in China, prices have skyrocketed. Then there is the cost of your time. How long do you think it will take you to make a trap?

I can usually make one in about 10-15 minutes once I have all the material laid out.

Room 112 right by the staircase, perfect place

Thanks so much for posting these plans!!!!
    I am going to build a few. Would it be possible to send me a pic?
    I could post it too..
    Thanks again,

Joe
    So you made some enemies? Good that means you stood up for something.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.