Transducer glue or epoxy
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transducer glue or epoxy

Default Transducer glue or epoxy

Thinking of mounting my transducer in the bilge. What type epoxy or glue is good to use. Can you place the transducer in a thin film, or can you make a small puddle to help fill in the V section of the bilge.?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Cannot imagine what type of glue you would use? I have mounted with polyster resin,west epoxy,and with 5200.No matter what your choice is you must assure that you have no air pockets or bubbles between the face of the transducer and your hull.

Your performance will be decreased by shooting and receiving back the signal though your hull. I only did this type of mount for a flasher that I used for depth only. For 'fish finding',highly recommend that you either go transom or thru hull.
    Perception-Cognition-Conception-Expression. All can be biased and not one of us is exempt.

If your hull is not foam core gluing the transducer in with goop actualy works fine. we di over 70 of them last year in kayaks.The problem is that the deadrise of the hull will shoot the signal out sideways and it wont return properly. For under $90 you can get a airmar p79 from the manufacturer of your finder. it is a cup that you glue into the bilge. Then you fill the cup with mineral oil. Then you place the transducer that comes with it in the oil and rotate the cap until the number matches the number of your deadrise. They work awsome with no noticible loss of signal in all speeds and conditions.

Barrell Surf & Kayak
    Phone: (609) 513-1680

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

even just plain boatlife caulk if you ever want to move it easy.

not in the vee though...no real reason...

a baggie filled with water...put ducer on it (boat in water)...move it around to get a good place...

i used a half a tube of silicone when i had a 20 Grady worked great even at 30 knots just make it point striate down. i mounted mine aft in the center about a foot and a half from the transom
    Last edited by ccmarinetowers; 02-24-2009 at 10:48 PM.

1. I used an epoxy stick to -
    a. create a ring wall.
    b. somewhere inside the ring, a small amount as a molded leveling standoff for one edge of the transducer.
    2. test
    After that dried, while in the slip I filled the pool with water,
    placed the transducer in the target location, fired up the FF unit to confirm reading.
    3. epoxy the transducer.
    I used 2 part epoxy from the hardware store.
    mix and pour gently to prevent air bubbles in the epoxy mix.
    drop the transducer into the expoxy pool, one edge on the standoff, no air under the ducer.
    place a weight on the ducer so it stays in place while setting up.

Worked great for the 5 years I had that cobia.

As said in a prior post, shooting thru solid glass only. No foam core, no air.

Two final notes - On the Garmin 320C I had did this for -
    1. shoot thru did need more Unit gain vs the prior transom mount config. Given that adjustment, marked structure and fish ok.
    2. unit read nicely while cruising, something I couldn't get to work with the transom mount.
    Joe
    1999 Outrage 21 / Yamaha 200

Default thanks

Thanks for the replies and input. So several ways to go, plus the way to do a pre test.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.