What size kicker motor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size kicker motor?

Default What size kicker motor?

Hey guys, I am thinking of adding a small kicker motor to my fishing rig. Just thinking of using it when I'm doing drifts to get back to the start of the drift, and a emergency motor. My boat fully loaded is about a 3000lb 20' CC with a 112hp Johnson on it. Without doing much research I am thinking 5-25hp for the kicker, but I wanted to narrow it down and see what you guys think, so I can keep my eye open for something used for sale over next few months.

Also, should I get a stationary bracket, or one that moves up an down? Mine is 25" shaft, should kicker be the same? I am sure you guys have some experience with this, so any tips appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Al,

I ran a 25 Honda 4-stroke on a 26 Shamrock inboard for a few years. It was a great little engine and awesome for slow power drifting on those rare beautiful days when the wind was not blowing and no one was catching anything..but me...it would push that boat about 6 knots max but was heavy. I had an inboard so needed the 4stroke. If you are only looking to push a 20' cc, a 6 to 8 hp engine would do the trick. Minewas mounted on a moveable bracket and was lowered down when runningand tilted up when not..you dont want the engine dragging in the water. If you use one that goes up and down you could get away with a shorter shaft.
    Chris Miller
    1990 Grady 23 Gulfstream "CTALES V"
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970)

I've got a 15hp rude mounted on a saltwater bracket ... 21ft seabird with a 225hp rude. I think it's the perfect size.

Back in the 80s I rad a 24' grady'with a 225 hp rude. For trolling and safety It had a 25hp kicker mounted on the port side on a lifting mount. Connected to the main engine with a steering bar.That kicker got us back from Hatteras canyon twice. The question is this; Do you want to troll at 1 nt and maybe run 6nts.........Take safety out of the equation,and go with a 6-10hp motor........... Common Sense dictates 25hp,or 30hp.That will get you through an ugly inlet,and still troll at 1nt

Al,
    I put a 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust kicker on my 22ftr. Great little motor. Run out to wherever i'm fishing, shut down inboard motor, and run the kicker the rest of the day. Excellent on gas. Only downfall is it's a tiller steer. Used it out front last Oct. trolling for stripers. And it's hanging on a saltwater bracket, that i got from Boatersworld.

I'm agreeing with the larger size myself. I'd look in the 10+HP range based on weight and the set-up you have on the boat.
    For those who talk of freedom and rights remember those who make sure you have them.

other than initial purchase price, youre never going to want less hp. fuel difference should be nominal.
    25' Parker Extended Cabin
    Twin Yamaha 150 saltwater series
    Parker 2530-Team PELAGIC
    Indian River, DE

Anyone mind sharing there thoughts on high thrust vs regular? Obviously I am thinking I can get a better deal on just finding a used outboard, but high thrust is more rare to stumble across. I know there could be different gearing, but could I get away with a regular outboard with just a larger prop maybe? I am not too sure on this point yet, what do you guys think?

Al,

I had a yamaha 9.9 high thrust 4 stroke on my 24 grady white. Heavy boat, but the 9.9 moved it just fine. I wouldn't want to navigate the inlet, however, that is what sea tow is for, anyway. I also have a 9.9 evinrude for a smaller boat, but can't honestly tell the difference between high thrust and a regular engine. I am about to sell this yamaha 9.9 high thrust engine, if you have an interest, just email me and I'll tell you everything about it. Doctorsrh@aol.com

Al, I have a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke High Thrust tiller from a sailboat with less then 10 hours on it. $1000 and shes yours. Email me cpsmarine@comcast.net or call 609-617-1009
    633 Shunpike Rd, Cape May Court House
    We accept all major credit cards

Now Booking All Spring Prep!
    -Bottom Painting
    -Detailing
    -Launching
    -Fuel Filters, Zincs, Oil Change and More!

On Location Bottom Painting Only $15/ft
    Call/ Email for more Details!

(609) 617-1009
    cpsmarine@comcast.net

VHF 16 or (609) 884-4445

Still Only $149/yr

Phil what is the shaft length on that?

I've been using a Mercury 5hp 4s. on a 22 trophy

Quote Originally Posted by jrisapirate View Post
    Phil what is the shaft length on that?

I've been using a Mercury 5hp 4s. on a 22 trophy
    Its either 20" or 25". Its big, it was on a sailboat.
    633 Shunpike Rd, Cape May Court House
    We accept all major credit cards

Now Booking All Spring Prep!
    -Bottom Painting
    -Detailing
    -Launching
    -Fuel Filters, Zincs, Oil Change and More!

On Location Bottom Painting Only $15/ft
    Call/ Email for more Details!

(609) 617-1009
    cpsmarine@comcast.net

VHF 16 or (609) 884-4445

Still Only $149/yr

I gave up on the extra motor. It was just a PITA to fool with all the time. 9.9 is more than enough for a get home.
    Archie / High Wire in the BZL,CMNJ and SW FL
    Monitoring the BBC (The Bass Barn Channel 78)
    TheBassBarn Reef Program
    2008 Duke of Fluke 1st Place 31.6 pounds!

Hey guys one more question. When looking at outboards, can I use a remote outboard or should it be a tiller? If I use a remote how do I rig that, so I have to have the hole second controls on my console, or is there another way to do it?

anything more than a 9.9 is probably a waste of horsepower...you can't get her up on plane and every little bt of speed past about 5 knots comes at a dramatic demand for horsepower and fuel....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast