Removing Tape Decals From GEL coat

Thread: Removing Tape Decals From GEL coat

Default Removing Tape Decals From GEL coat

Anyone have any advice for removing glue residue safely from Gel coat? I have a 19 foot Robalo with really large 14" letters that spell ROBALO. Well today I noticed some gas leaking out the over flow vent ( I just filled the tank last week and must of overfilled it) and it ran down the side of the boat and pretty much bubbled off the R & O so now the one side just says BALO. Maybe I should name the boat BALO now. Anyway I'm having a really hard time getting the remaining glue residue off. The gel coat seems OK under the sticker. I did a search and WD40 came up and it works but it is really slow. Anyone have any tricks/advice. Thanks in advance. Also any advice for removing the intact stickers and there is also 2 tape stripes that are faded and I would like to remove.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Acetone will take it of and not harm the gel coat but will also remove any wax.Keep in mind that after you remove the decals,you will probably have the "ghost"where the rest of the hull has faded.Sometimes compound or wet sanding with ulta fine paper will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Draw View Post
    Anyone have any advice for removing glue residue safely from Gel coat? I have a 19 foot Robalo with really large 14" letters that spell ROBALO. Well today I noticed some gas leaking out the over flow vent ( I just filled the tank last week and must of overfilled it) and it ran down the side of the boat and pretty much bubbled off the R & O so now the one side just says BALO. Maybe I should name the boat BALO now. Anyway I'm having a really hard time getting the remaining glue residue off. The gel coat seems OK under the sticker. I did a search and WD40 came up and it works but it is really slow. Anyone have any tricks/advice. Thanks in advance. Also any advice for removing the intact stickers and there is also 2 tape stripes that are faded and I would like to remove.
    If your close to electric, try a hair dryer.
    Fran
    A proud member of Ancient Mariners
    Character is higher then Intellect
    The decisions we make dictate the lives we lead

CT Buoy 2014

Use a heat gun I just removed some letters from my boat. Works much better then a hair dryer
    18' Welcraft CC
    2010 90 hp e-tec

I used a heat gun,goo-gone and windex to get the residue off,then compound and wax and that was just to remove the rg #'s.

like said earlier,if they have been on there for anytime,you will have an outline on the boat from sun fadeing

You can use a heat gun to get the stickers off and then if you have a sign shop near you you can try to get some stuff called rapid removal that will take the glue off without much work. You kind of wipe it on and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then wipe it off.

Custom Marine Welding and Fabrication
    Glen Weeks
    Northfield, NJ
    609-569-9911
    www.gwperformancewelding.com
    gwperformance@comcast.net

Thank you to all you guys for your suggestions.

one more thing, a CC or drivers license works very well for scraping the sticker off once you heat up the sticker

Banned

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by GW Performance Welding View Post
    You can use a heat gun to get the stickers off and then if you have a sign shop near you you can try to get some stuff called rapid removal that will take the glue off without much work. You kind of wipe it on and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then wipe it off.

Welcome to the Barn...Looks like you are a new advertiser...congrats, but you might want to spell check your company website name in your signature, seems to be misspelled.

Welcome Aboard.

You can also remove the residue with 3M adhesive remover. They sell it at West Marine. Just spray on and it wipes off. Also comes in a liquid can.

This is the stuff you want.

3M Adhesive Remover

It will also break down 5200 and 4200.
    Dan

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 14
    Heroes on the Water NJ Volunteer and Guide
    ALS Fish Tagger

Forked River Tuna Club
    Fleet Captain

I'll have to try the 3M stuff. My wife had a bottle of goo-gone she said she bought at the dollar store - for $1. It works the best out of the few things I tried and it is cheap.

Second the acetone. Works great,just be sure to wax after.

Thumbs up

WD 40 takes the glue off of anything and wont harm the finish!