BASS BARN banner

Outboard explosion

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  barnaclebillsmarine 
#1 ·
A freind of mine put his boat in last week. 250 Merc 4 stroke. Started out seemed like it wasn't taking fuel. Then explosion, cover actually flew straight up 50 feet then engine caught on fire. Anyone ever hear of this? Any idea what happened? Prety scarey they could have been killed.

#6 ·
If the fuel injection system was leaking and fumes build up under the cowl all it takes is him continuing to crank and a spark from the alternator set it off.

Can you get any pics up, Id like to see that.

did he recently have work done on it?

#7 ·
Not much on the web but this....

Evinrude FICHT 200/225 Fuel Leak AdvisoryThe Coast Guard advises owners and operators of boats powered by 1999 or 2000 Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower outboard motors about a fuel leak problem that causes a potential fire and explosion hazard. There is evidence that fuel leaks affecting these outboard models have resulted in fires and explosions that, in some cases, caused personal injuries. The Coast Guard advises owners and operators to cease using 1999 or 2000 Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower outboard motors until such time as the defect is corrected.

#10 ·
like capt scott posted on the ficht motors fuel rails and exploding motors...

I'd have to think that in order for a hood to fly 50' straight up in the air from an explosion, then a fire insued. I'd think it had to do with some sort of high pressure fuel systems involvement, like fuel injected motors use.

If a fly wheel broke loose, I don't think it would send the cover straight up or leave it in one piece.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.