Outboard explosion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outboard explosion

Banned

Default Outboard explosion

A freind of mine put his boat in last week. 250 Merc 4 stroke. Started out seemed like it wasn't taking fuel. Then explosion, cover actually flew straight up 50 feet then engine caught on fire. Anyone ever hear of this? Any idea what happened? Prety scarey they could have been killed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I have no idea but when my lawn tractor started blowing fire out of the carborator it turned out to be a head gasket.

Barrell Surf & Kayak
    Phone: (609) 513-1680

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

sounds like it flooded then maybe a backfire or electrical spark got it going.lucky no one was hurt

Another great side effect from ethanol. Lots of unusual fires. I've never seen so many car fires by the side of the road.
    JB

The Black Anchor.

If the fuel injection system was leaking and fumes build up under the cowl all it takes is him continuing to crank and a spark from the alternator set it off.

Can you get any pics up, Id like to see that.

did he recently have work done on it?
    IGNORANCE IS CORRECTABLE..............STUPIDITY IS FOREVER........JUST TALK TO A LIBERAL!

Not much on the web but this....

Evinrude FICHT 200/225 Fuel Leak AdvisoryThe Coast Guard advises owners and operators of boats powered by 1999 or 2000 Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower outboard motors about a fuel leak problem that causes a potential fire and explosion hazard. There is evidence that fuel leaks affecting these outboard models have resulted in fires and explosions that, in some cases, caused personal injuries. The Coast Guard advises owners and operators to cease using 1999 or 2000 Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower outboard motors until such time as the defect is corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Scott View Post
    Not much on the web but this....

Evinrude FICHT 200/225 Fuel Leak AdvisoryThe Coast Guard advises owners and operators of boats powered by 1999 or 2000 Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower outboard motors about a fuel leak problem that causes a potential fire and explosion hazard. There is evidence that fuel leaks affecting these outboard models have resulted in fires and explosions that, in some cases, caused personal injuries. The Coast Guard advises owners and operators to cease using 1999 or 2000 Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower outboard motors until such time as the defect is corrected.

What does that have to do with a 250 Merc 4 stroke??

[quote=Sean Manni;1933735]What does that have to do with a 250 Merc 4 stroke??[/quote

The OP asked if they ver heard of an explosion...I didn't take it as ONLY with his make, model, year, install configuration, etc...etc...

AND I did infer there's not much on the web about outboard explosions....

The post does stat that an explosion on an outboard is possivble...so if you take a minute and do some analytical thinking...maybe my post is just as useful as any other as it does reference a documented source of outboard explosions...not just internet opinion....4 strokes have fuel under a hood just like a Ficht....air plus fuel plus spark plus confinement equal explosion.

We'll let the OP determine whether my post was of any use....
    Last edited by Capt. Scott; 06-11-2009 at 07:44 AM.

like capt scott posted on the ficht motors fuel rails and exploding motors...

I'd have to think that in order for a hood to fly 50' straight up in the air from an explosion, then a fire insued. I'd think it had to do with some sort of high pressure fuel systems involvement, like fuel injected motors use.

If a fly wheel broke loose, I don't think it would send the cover straight up or leave it in one piece.

[quote=Capt. Scott;1933830]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Manni View Post
    What does that have to do with a 250 Merc 4 stroke??[/quote

The OP asked if they ver heard of an explosion...I didn't take it as ONLY with his make, model, year, install configuration, etc...etc...

AND I did infer there's not much on the web about outboard explosions....

The post does stat that an explosion on an outboard is possivble...so if you take a minute and do some analytical thinking...maybe my post is just as useful as any other as it does reference a documented source of outboard explosions...not just internet opinion....4 strokes have fuel under a hood just like a Ficht....air plus fuel plus spark plus confinement equal explosion.

We'll let the OP determine whether my post was of any use....
    right....so a specific defect limited to a single part on 1 brand and only a handful of HP sizes is applicable to ALL OUTBOARDS.

If you do some deductive reasoning and apply a little common sense, you will see that the comparison is poor betweem to different styles (2 stroke vs 4 stroke),different HP, different fuel delivery, different brands.

By your logic - since I have a boat - and Ive heard that boats have sunk- maybe mine is sinking....

Whenever I hear about a total outboard engine failure, I ask them if it 'exploded'. FYI Anytime your outboard sounds real bad, turn it off. Bad things happen quickly, ie crankcase blow, pistons score, carbs blown off etc....

You didn't spray either in there did you ???
    John Yank

[quote=Sean Manni;1934664]

right....so a specific defect limited to a single part on 1 brand and only a handful of HP sizes is applicable to ALL OUTBOARDS.

If you do some deductive reasoning and apply a little common sense, you will see that the comparison is poor betweem to different styles (2 stroke vs 4 stroke),different HP, different fuel delivery, different brands.

By your logic - since I have a boat - and Ive heard that boats have sunk- maybe mine is sinking....

Sean lighten up

the mercury verado four stroke 250hp are fuel injected with computerized fuel pressure booster which runs on a high pressure fuel rail

to atomize the fuel to get a more clean even burn they need to boost the fuel pressure up high. So it can and does relate to what the poster was asking about.

If it was a carbed motor you wouldn't have near the fuel pressure delivery system and probably just have a good fire going.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines...pecs.php?ID=45

ReBait.. agree 100%... if something doesn't sound right.. shut it down quick nothing like metal parts flying every which way when an engine has a catastrophic failure.
    Last edited by HookinUp; 06-11-2009 at 07:26 PM.

[quote=Sean Manni;1934664]

Maybe if you limit your thinking...yeah...now I see it your way....

Like I said...instead of you busting my chops and hijacking the thread JUST to bust my chops ....

Let the OP be the judge whether some info on outboard explosions in general is of any help....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.