Whats the best drift sock?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best drift sock?

Default Whats the best drift sock?

Looking to buy a drift sock in the next week for vacation. Curious what brands you guys use and if one is better than the other. Also what size do you use? I have a 17 mako that weights about 2600lbs with three guys and fuel etc...Let me know. thanks

Steve
    1989 Mako 250 with twin yamaha 150 hpdi
    1971 Mako 17 with mercury 125
    Docked in Cape May Marina

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Not really familiar with brands, but I would advise you to buy a sock 1 size larger than the packaging says for your (or any) size boat.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac View Post
    Not really familiar with brands, but I would advise you to buy a sock 1 size larger than the packaging says for your (or any) size boat.
    I would agree with JZ...Here is a chart from Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...302&hasJS=true
    Its 4:20 someplace.....
    Sharks have a week dedicated to him..AAAI-ISMA Certified Cycling Instructor
    AAAI-ISMA Certified Kick Box Instructor

Default Drift Sock

There was just a thread on BB that reports that dragging a large mushroom anchor is more effective than a drift sock. Having recently used a drift sock, I can say that I was not that impressed because it will only affect the wind component of your drift speed and not the tide component (I think).
    The anchor idea sounds like a weiner. Will be trying it next!

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by SEACRAFT72 View Post
    There was just a thread on BB that reports that dragging a large mushroom anchor is more effective than a drift sock. Having recently used a drift sock, I can say that I was not that impressed because it will only affect the wind component of your drift speed and not the tide component (I think).
    The anchor idea sounds like a weiner. Will be trying it next!

Good Luck
    See my post "Today (7-13) on the bay", in the Delaware Bay section of the Bass Barn, for a full explanation. For your boat, I'd recommend a 10 pound mushroom anchor. This, I believe will cut your speed by about one MPH. Oh yea, 1/8 to 1/4 diameter rope is all that's necessary.

Default sock recomendations

If you do use a sock, make sure that:

1 - it has a way to collapse the end of the cone or open it up or else when retrieving it, it's like dragging in a 10000 lb weight

2 - you add a super strong saltwater swivel connection to the point where you tie it off so it can spin freely while in the water

3 - do not buy the drift sock ropes you see on line, they break and I lost a sock when the clamp spread on me. Use dock line that you can line together and tie off to a cleat

just my opinion/findings

Quote Originally Posted by bay bee View Post
    See my post "Today (7-13) on the bay", in the Delaware Bay section of the Bass Barn, for a full explanation. For your boat, I'd recommend a 10 pound mushroom anchor. This, I believe will cut your speed by about one MPH. Oh yea, 1/8 to 1/4 diameter rope is all that's necessary.
    I did read that post and that is a really good idea for the delaware bay...areas where I fish, that anchor would be gone in minutes

I also use my motor quite a bit to slow down the drift but its not the safest thing to do in the ocean all the time, especially with a lower transom

Steve
    1989 Mako 250 with twin yamaha 150 hpdi
    1971 Mako 17 with mercury 125
    Docked in Cape May Marina

I bought one at West Marine about 6 years ago and it works fine. Buy one size larger as it says above. Take a look at the rope setups they sell separatly with the little float on them, and then make your own for 10% of the money with a shark float.

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist & Weekly Fishing Forecast Blogger

Tackle Direct Pro Staff

Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI FOR SALE!
    http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/sho...ector-for-sale
    Marvelous Margate NJ

Don't think we need to drag an anchor on the bottom, it will only mees up the habitat.
    Tom
    TIGHT LINES TO ALL.
    TOM PALMER

Room 112 right by the staircase, perfect place

Quote Originally Posted by bluefishbones View Post
    Don't think we need to drag an anchor on the bottom, it will only mees up the habitat.
    Tom
    Yea and it will not help the bite
    So you made some enemies? Good that means you stood up for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Skmag357 View Post
    I did read that post and that is a really good idea for the delaware bay...areas where I fish, that anchor would be gone in minutes

I also use my motor quite a bit to slow down the drift but its not the safest thing to do in the ocean all the time, especially with a lower transom

Skmag-check out boaters world online. I got mine there during the firesale. maybe they still have them but any stock leftover is probably on ebay by now too. I forget the brand but it works very well.

Very Proud Member of Team Canyon Reels..

If you persist in worrying about what happened at work, or the yard needs mowing, or what you’ve got to do next week, or something else, you might as well, load up and pick another day to fish. -BILL DANCE

Supporting Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by Skmag357 View Post
    Looking to buy a drift sock in the next week for vacation. Curious what brands you guys use and if one is better than the other. Also what size do you use? I have a 17 mako that weights about 2600lbs with three guys and fuel etc...Let me know. thanks
    Look to figure out what you need just try a 5 gallon bucket, then try two of them. Drill holes in the bottom so they will drain.

No one can call the right size. It depends on conditions for the day. Wind against the current.. How much wind, how much current? Can be different each trip or from hour to hour..

Bluewater Marine Surveying

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

I am really happy with a Lindy drift sock I bought new a couple of months ago on eBay from a store called the Fishing Tackle Grab Bag. High quality materials, yellow nylon dump line, and weighed on one side to open easily once deployed. I tie it to a cleat with a short length of polypropylene dock line. I bought the 48" size for my 23' boat, and it cost $38 - about half of what I've found elsewhere. I now fish windy days (at least in the back)!

Put a float on the line if you use a dock line I used a peice of yellow noodle for mine with a knot at either end to keep it in place. Get one that's made of vinyl coated heavy canvas. Mine is probably about 5 YO and is starting to show it's age where it is folded for storage but I expect to get many more years out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalsigns View Post
    Put a float on the line if you use a dock line I used a peice of yellow noodle for mine with a knot at either end to keep it in place. Get one that's made of vinyl coated heavy canvas. Mine is probably about 5 YO and is starting to show it's age where it is folded for storage but I expect to get many more years out of it.

Good idea with the noodle!!!
    TIGHT LINES TO ALL.
    TOM PALMER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast