Avon NC - Pamlico Sound fishing
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avon NC - Pamlico Sound fishing

Default Avon NC - Pamlico Sound fishing

Headed to Avon in early Sept and dragging the small jon boat with me as I've rented a sound front home for the 1st time. Any help on what species to expect, tackle/lures (and lure size) to take with me, baits to use and where to fish (types of structure - not spots) since chart shows mostly shallows and flats would really be appreciated. I've done the piers and surf before.....but figured I'd take the time to explore the sound on this trip. Has to be something swimming back there!
    Thanks
    All this talk about global worming makes me want to go fishing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Appreciate the link to Oriental...however...I was looking for more local information aound the Avon NC area......OBX. If anyone has done some pamlico sound fishing while in OBX I'd be thankful for any insight and help I could get.

Never fished the sound! So I really couldn't help you there but I know there are nice size crabs. Don't forget the drop lines. Also check licence's out in N.C. you may need one! Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by geoductape View Post
    Never fished the sound! So I really couldn't help you there but I know there are nice size crabs. Don't forget the drop lines. Also check licence's out in N.C. you may need one! Good luck
    You need a license to fish in NC Salt waters and they do check. All $$$ goes to Fish/Game.

Got you on the license.....already taken care of with the 10 day permit. I've been going down and fishing the surf/piers/charter/party boat deal for several years......just never paid any attention to soundside. This is the year for that with the little boat.....wonder if any of the yak guys have done it?

The sound is really pretty shallow in spots so be careful.Look for some holes. Ask a local about the artifical reef out there,it's around 10-11 ft there. There should be trout,redfish,flounder out there. I used to take my boat down but Sept. is a windy month. You have to pick your days. Good luck.

Mark Sr
    To Fish Or Not to Fish! What A Stupid Question.

Thanks Mark. Got you the shallow water.....I've got a local chart, and I agree with you on the wind completely........pick your days (and time since it usually lays down pretty good in the evening) applies even more when you're running a dink of a boat like I'll be.......I'll stay close in and pay attention to structure as usual. looks like I've got an underwater rock pile and a channel of some sort just to the north of Avon. That's as good of a start as any. Any tips on rigging/bait?

check this out Red Drum Tackle shop in Buxton

don'tknow about the sound but lived on the river and weekfish and crokers were what i was catching in the late 70's that is the pamlico river washington nc

Supporting Vendor

http://www.ncwaterman.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=3

Ask these guys here... They'll tell you...

Bluewater Marine Surveying

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

The Red Drum tackle forums were a big help. I know exactly where that shop is in Buxton and think I'll pay it a visit on my 1st day down there.
    I knew my fellow Barners would come through with the info I was looking for. That should make my vacation time go a little bit better. I'll update you all on September sound fishing (if I find any) when I get back.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.