BASS BARN banner

Installing a float switch

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dreadthis1 
#1 ·
I need to put a new float switch in and the I was curious as to what the opinion is for mounting them. Should I just get some 4200\5200 or other adhesive to fix it to the floor in the bilge or is there a better way? I know I should face it towards the stern so that it doesn't hangup but I don't know how to fix it to the bottom securely so it stays where I want or need it to be. Any input is welcome. Thanks:D

#2 ·
The absolute best way you can do it is to glass a small piece of plywood into the bilge. This will give you some meat that you can screw into, without damaging the hull.

5200 is to permanent, and you will never be able to get it back out when it goes bad.

Use a caged float switch, this will keep debris from affecting it.

#3 · (Edited)
I like bolting everything to a bracket of aluminum or stainless...then mounting the bracket to a stringer. Let's you position the pump right where you want it and screw it into something other than the bottom...also the screw holes might be up above normal bilge slop levels.

For the wiring I use small terminal block slathered in dielectric silicone as high and rotected as I can get it. Lets you change the setup in a flash and every several years cut off the terminal ends and put on new ones with ease.

this setup s great where pumps are mounted in hard to reach places

#5 ·
Thanks, once I got in there I found out that the old pump was on a bracket that was pretty easy to access and made the install much easier. I ended up replacing the old Rule with a new Rule and installing a second high water bilge that I hope I never need.:):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.