Boat shelter ideas
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat shelter ideas

Default Boat shelter ideas

Open to ideas...I don't plan on keeping the boat long, we are looking for another boat now. I'm looking for a shelter that I can use for any boat 21'-23'.
    I don't want a boat cover.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

question -

shelter, not cover, because.... want to somewhat easily get INSIDE the boat to work/show?
    Joe
    1999 Outrage 21 / Yamaha 200

I want to be able to get in and out easy enough and...it is only out of the water for 2 1/2 months, so It can be dual purpose.

We can shrink wrap and put in a zipper access door.
    633 Shunpike Rd, Cape May Court House
    We accept all major credit cards

Now Booking All Fall Work!
    -Haul Outs
    -Winterization
    -Shrink Wrap
    -Winter Storage & More!

On Location Shrink Wrapping Only $14/ft
    Call/ Email for more Details!

Authorized Dealer - Sea Lion Trailers

(609) 617-1009
    cpsmarine@comcast.net

VHF 16 or (609) 884-4445

Still Only $149/yr

Guy on eBay sells used billboard covers in all sizes. Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-x-48-Viny...item3a666abd07

5 gallon buckets, pour concrete inside with PVC sch 80 pipe in center. Burry buckets if you want so it will be tight to ground, use 90s and x fittings for support and top. Cover with tarps and tie wrap. Cheap and easy. I haven't done it, but plan to.

i bought a used greenhouse years ago here on the barn.it is now 30 ft long and i back two boats inside for the winter and close up.easy acces all season and out of the weather!!bb
    "SALTWATER COWBOY" wellcraft v-20,02'-150hp johnson ,'97'-19' carolina skiff w/ 05' 75hp etec

Quote Originally Posted by The Irish Jig View Post
    Open to ideas...I don't plan on keeping the boat long, we are looking for another boat now. I'm looking for a shelter that I can use for any boat 21'-23'.
    I don't want a boat cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by w2f4 View Post
    question -

shelter, not cover, because.... want to somewhat easily get INSIDE the boat to work/show?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Irish Jig View Post
    I want to be able to get in and out easy enough and...it is only out of the water for 2 1/2 months, so It can be dual purpose.
    This might be more then you’re looking for, but anyway, here’s my Rube Goldberg cover/shelter.

Main goals –

Cover holds up well all winter.

No major bellying/ponds from rain/snow: Tarp needs a decent pitch everywhere. Forward with a high railing could be a problem, that's why the high center line ridge that runs all the way forward. On my prior boat, 25 walk around with no top, high center line ridge ran aft 90% of overall boat length. On prior boats I used all wood. Currently using a mix of wood pieces left over from the prior boat's frame, and newly made PVC items. If I were making completely new, would use as much PVC as possible.

Can get under the cover and into the boat with enough room to work / get around: At the back the cover V’s around the outboard, remove 1 fastening rope that’s tied to trailer between the OB and the transom ladder, and I can get under / climb in / bring tools & materials in & out with no problem. Inside can work under the tent on most things. Another note on that V in back, it’s a bit opened from the underside, so no sealed / moisture issues.

EZ to install: Install in 1-2 hours. Pick low wind day to avoid wrestling with the initial tarp draping.

Inexpensive: Frame is a one time expense – combo of spare diy materials around the house + ~$30 for larger PVC. Get at min 2 years out of the $80 poly trap. So ongoing cost ~40/year.

A few other handy notes worth mentioning -

I like the longer tarp so I can wrap the trailer tounge. Trick with excess up front and the back corners, twist the extra material then tuck and tie underneath.

I like to pull together the excess under the bow, use a few of those yellow snap in things from home depot, disc out side and the snap over ring inside and tied under neath to the other side.

At the fuel vent, work the tarp for a bit of excess so it cups the area and is open at the bottom, allowing it to breath / fumes exit and drop out.

For this type cover, trailer offers advantage for perimeter tie downs / bungees.

Last edited by w2f4; 12-11-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Joe
    1999 Outrage 21 / Yamaha 200

How about one of those portable car tents that are made of vinyl tarp and its a pole structure they are pretty cheap and you can beef up the anchors and use it all year round, they sell them @ Harbor Town in Brick Town.. you can get them with just the roof and they have them with walls too.. I used one years back on a 22'cc with a t-top , when i had the boat blocked up for the off season i would put it up around the boat it was real nice to do any work on the boat with a little heater in there and i never had to spend the money on shrink wrapping the boat for 2-3 months..look on the web and you'll see what i mean..good luck

The only thing that will work is a RV garage I'm going to get one eventually.

I used one of these for about 10 years before I built a garage. I raised it to fit the boat with pvc bolted to the bottom of the posts.

http://www.elitedeals.com/canopyshelters.html

I bought a 10'x20' carport from Pep Boys for $99. Used it as-is for a few years, then added the side kit for another $69. A few years later the snow collapsed it, but that was my fault...had a bad back and didn't go out to push the snow off....most years I just went inside and pushed up on the roof with a broom to make the snow fall off after or during a storm. You can buy them at Sam's Club or wherever too. Looks just like the ones in Aimless's link.

If you want to make it a custom size, a regular seller at the Berlin Flea Market (outdoors) has all the pieces to make the carport, very heavy duty. It might cost you more that way but should last forever.
    Last edited by BayRat; 12-11-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    BayRat

Frame out a structure large enough to park the boat under and shrink wrap the structure. This will let you always park a boat under the structure with the same shrink. The shrink will also tie together the sturcture and make it fairly strong once applied. Make the structure 4 sides but one of the sides is easy enough to take off so that the boat can be taken in and out, you can also frame out a door so you can easily go in and out without having to take out the wall. I saw another guy do this with good results, even held up during snow storms. The trick seemed to be build the structure with soft enough corners so the strink doesn't get cut. Build it right and it will last a while without having to repair the shrink.

You can use clear shrink so that it will almost be a green house in the winter to get a little extra heat.

This idea is mostly practical if you got the space to do it, good luck

Get a quote to shrink wrap the building and compare it against buying the roll of shrink and a gun yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by aimless View Post
    I used one of these for about 10 years before I built a garage. I raised it to fit the boat with pvc bolted to the bottom of the posts.

http://www.elitedeals.com/canopyshelters.html
    Thanks for all of the ideas....I like this link, pricess are better than I have found.

Where would I buy a roll of shrink wrap?

I'd be happy to sell you the amount of shrink wrap you would need.
    633 Shunpike Rd, Cape May Court House
    We accept all major credit cards

Now Booking All Fall Work!
    -Haul Outs
    -Winterization
    -Shrink Wrap
    -Winter Storage & More!

On Location Shrink Wrapping Only $14/ft
    Call/ Email for more Details!

Authorized Dealer - Sea Lion Trailers

(609) 617-1009
    cpsmarine@comcast.net

VHF 16 or (609) 884-4445

Still Only $149/yr

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.