Does a bottom painted boat need to stay in the water?

Thread: Does a bottom painted boat need to stay in the water?

Default Does a bottom painted boat need to stay in the water?

My boat is generally out of the water and in dry stack but on occaision it sits in the water for a few days. I realize that painting the bottom is not necessary but I am tired of cleaning the yellowing staining off. In addition, I may need to leave it in the water this fall for a couple of months. I am under the impression that a boat with bottom paint needs to stay in the water, is this true? Is there a type of paint that can "dry out" and go in a out of the water? - thanks
    BillV Somers Point/Harleysville PA

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

If its only going in for a few days, I would just clean the stain off. If its going in longer then a few days, it needs to be painted. Growth with show up in as little as 2 weeks. If your going to paint it and have it go in and out, I would recommend Interlux Bottom Kote. Its a hard paint that will hold up to being launched and stored.

Below are a few boats that were left in without painting...

This pontoon boat was in just 3 weeks...
    633 Shunpike Rd, Cape May Court House
    We accept all major credit cards

Now Booking All Spring Prep!
    -Bottom Painting
    -Detailing
    -Launching
    -Fuel Filters, Zincs, Oil Change and More!

On Location Bottom Painting Only $15/ft
    Call/ Email for more Details!

(609) 617-1009
    cpsmarine@comcast.net

VHF 16 or (609) 884-4445

Still Only $149/yr

Default Trim Tabs Pump

BillV - I am trying to get in touch with you about trim tabs pump and switches you have for sale. please email me.

Thanks,

Greg
    Last edited by 84classic224; 03-13-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    84' Mako 224

email sent
    BillV Somers Point/Harleysville PA

Plenty of trailered boats are bottom painted. I have never heard of anyone complaining that their bottom paint was any worse off for sitting on a trailer.
    So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause

most bottom paints work by "sloughing"... therefore they arent very durable to abrasion. there are many paints however designed for uses like yours. they are much harder overall, but only provide limited protection.

Brett
    "Pam's Pride"
    25' Maycraft Pilot House
    18' Privateer Retriever

To answer the question you are asking....ablative bottom paints do NOT need to stay in the water. Many non-ablative paints DO need to stay in the water. Read the directions on whatever paint you are looking at, but the above will be mostly true.

BTW I have great success with the West Marine CCP ablative paint down here in the hot water (fast growth normally). Cheap and effective and yes, you can pull it out of the water as long as you like.

Keep in mind, that yellow stain you don't want to see is not slowing your boat down. Even A coat of new bottom paint will...a little. Bottom paint, especially ablative, will have water marks when out of the water that would make the yellow stains look good. Choose wisely, it's hard to go back.
    BayRat

You are looking for a multi season ablative or one that states "Haul and relaunch without repainting"

Some ablatives state on the can that they must be launched within a specific amount of time. Those paints will get hard and then not slough off if they are not put in the water within that timeframe.