Mussels

Thread: Mussels

Default Mussels

I have hundreds of big mussels growing in the grass around my dock and bulkhead. I know they can be good bait, etc. Has anyone cleaned and eaten them? They look great, but I read that mussels on the beach or marsh can be iffy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor

They should be good as long as you cook them. I know people are into RAW seafood these days, but I would not fool with them RAW. Also make sure there are no clam/mussel warnings in effect in your area. Personally I don't eat clams/mussels/oysters so I might not be the guy to be listening too.

Bluewater Marine Surveying

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

Quote Originally Posted by hedgemere225 View Post
    I have hundreds of big mussels growing in the grass around my dock and bulkhead. I know they can be good bait, etc. Has anyone cleaned and eaten them? They look great, but I read that mussels on the beach or marsh can be iffy.
    Personally , I wouldn't eat bay mussels, but I have eaten mussels off the surf.
    Live 2 Fish
    <><
    Forced 2 Work

I would not eat them, we use to dive for them on the wrecks in NJ, we would only take mussells from the top as the ones near the sand would be sandy. The same for mussells that come out of the water due to tides like on poles and rock, I never ate them but was told before they are very rubbery and you could get sick so I never took the dare.

Thanks for the feedback. I opened a few raw and they just don't look like you should eat them, so I won't. I will try a few for bait and see how they do. The shells are pretty, but inside not so much.

Room 112 right by the staircase, perfect place

Agree.. do not eat..
    So you made some enemies? Good that means you stood up for something.

Crush for chum or baiting your minnow trap.
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

take a bunch and steam them in a old pot. Great king fish bait They won't stay on the hook raw. Put a bunch raw in a pale and mash them with the end of a 2x4 put those in a chum pot.
    keep their head high

Thanks for the feedback. I opened a few raw and they just don't look like you should eat them, so I won't. I will try a few for bait and see how they do. The shells are pretty, but inside not so much.

I will tell you they make great tog bait, everytime I go diving where there are tog you see tons of discarded shells around, we use to break up a bunch of mussells on the wreck to get the tog to come out, they love the stuff. Might be tough to get them to stay on the hook, try that line they sell for surf fishing. can also use as a chum to get the tog to come out, maybe in a can that you sink on the wreck, lift up and down to spread out some of the chum.

Are you talking about the ribbed mussels growing in the marsh? I have eaten them, but usually in the winter. I do pull them from the marsh sometimes when crabbing..they are good in marinara sauce...I don't take them out of the lagoon in the summer due to the water being not so clear, but winter time its game on...
    Chris Miller
    1990 Grady 23 Gulfstream "CTALES V"
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970)

Yes. Small, clean and tasty

I've eaten them marinara style also, they were good. Since then I hear that you should not eat the ones that are exposed to the air at low tide

Start diving wrecks - you will have more mussles that you will know what to do with..... only grab them if I didnt find scallops, lobster, or flsh!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Manni View Post
    Start diving wrecks - you will have more mussles that you will know what to do with..... only grab them if I didnt find scallops, lobster, or flsh!
    Even then a small handful adds to a good little steamer meal