thru hull transducers vs. trans mount
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: thru hull transducers vs. trans mount

Question

could anyone help me out on the pros and cons of using a thru hull transducer rather than a transom mount on a 20ft trophy? besides the fact that my transom mount disapeared for no good reason after 2 seasons of use!
    thomasletter@comcast.net<BR>\"HAPPY HOOKING\"<BR>Flourtown, Pa//Acorn Campground, Green Creek, NJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

The transom mt transducers today are the best bet on an outboard boat. They need to be installed correctly and they will work very well without the added expense of a thru hull and the problem of mounting the thru hull. Most manufacturers recommend the transom mt for outboards. i know of a 65 mph boat with trips that can read the bottom at that speed. Just be sure hat the unit is installed correctly. About 80% of problems are install related.
    Happy to be fishing the South Jersey coast since 1963.
    Downeast boats are the ticket.

I had a thru hull installed on my Grady because it has a pocket built into the hull designed for transducers. One disadvantage I found was if trailering you can damage the speed sensor with the trailer. I found this out this fall and now have to replace the speed/temp sensor. It does look like it is designed to be changed easily and I believe it can be done even while the boat is still in the water.If you are not going for the speed/temp model you might want to try gluing a transmon mount right to the inside of your hull as a shoot thru. Some loss of power but no turbulence or chance of damage.Try siliconing it to the bottom temporaly to check its operation before using epoxy.I tried this on a couple of boats with 100 dollar Hummingbirds and was reading bottom at 50mph

Banned

on the outboard boats,the transom mount 'ducer is the way to go...if it's properly installed,it will read at high speeds without any problems...
    the thru hulls are a little tricky on trailered boats-the 'ducer allways seems to find a roller-not a good thing...
    when installing the 'ducer on the transom,be sure to properly seal the screw holes-i like 3m 5200-it assures you of a good bond-a good tip is to spray water onto the surface of the 5200-it will speed up the curing process....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.