Transducer on Carolina Skiff??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transducer on Carolina Skiff??

Default Transducer on Carolina Skiff??

I've been experiencing too much interference w/ the transducer on my Skiff while under way. I have tried moving it up, down and L/R in order to get it away from any cavitation created by what appears to be the flat bottom (?). Works fine at very slow speed, but errors was I start moving. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NetWorking
    I've been experiencing too much interference w/ the transducer on my Skiff while under way. I have tried moving it up, down and L/R in order to get it away from any cavitation created by what appears to be the flat bottom (?). Works fine at very slow speed, but errors was I start moving. Any suggestions are appreciated!!
    If you get air bubbles.... you get interference...

Just about no way to avoid on a flat bottom boats....hard even on some gentle vees.

Without fabricating a very strong arm to reach deeper (with many other drawbacks)... I'm dying to hear what a successful install is also.

Yeah that's a problem.

I've had two Caro's and both of them were a bear concerning that. You can try moving the transducer in further, out further, or even mount it in the well near the transom and do a "shoot through". It will still suck.

The only thing that solved it for us was creating a deeper bracket for it. In other words, we made "extensions" for the bracket that allowed the transducer to sit much lower in the water and get under all that turbulence.

Is it perfect? No. Although it will hold bottom while on plane, because the 'ducer is mounted so low, it will toss a rooster tail. Also, you have to engineer it so that it will pivot up if it were to strike something.

I'm somewhat of a throwback to the caveman times, so I don't really care about how the rooster tail looks. Some people would have a problem with that, but again, I'll take the performance over the aesthetics every time.

Just as a for instance, on our 1965DLX we found that mounting the puck about 1.5 inches below the hull was the best height. On our 2180, we only needed about an inch.

Good luck.
    Native American Indian Chief :
    "Be careful with your immigration laws. We were careless with ours

Is a carolina skiff a solid or foam filled bottom. If its solid you can glue it in the bilge so it shoots right through the bottom of the boat. This actualy works Ive talked to guys who have done it with good results. Some use the standard transducer. Some buy a special AIrmar transducer made for that instalation. I asked the garmin factory rep about it at the AC show because Im also having trouble. He told me it actualy works just fine. You will loose your temp guage on my unit anyway because its part of the depth transducer. If you want to try it you can test it first by placing the transducer in a bag of water and move it around in the bilge while running the boat until you determine wether it works and where it should be epoxied. The garmin rep told me alot of guys just leave them in the bag all the time and never glue them. I lan on glueing mine after testing a couple of locations this spring. If you do glue with epoxy You shoot spray a little denature alcahol on the wet epoxy prior to placing the transducer. It removes all the airbubbles. But againg you cant have a double hull in the floor of the boat. The airmar transducers are suposed to be better even on the stern than the factory transducers. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in.

Barrell,

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but it won't work "well". It has nothing to do with the transducer.

Carolina skiffs are foamed under the floor, except for the little well at the transom. You can mount a shoot through in that well, and yes it will work to "some" extent. It doesn't matter if it's an 80 dollar Lowrance, or a 600 dollar airmar transducer.

The reason you have problems with depth finders on a carolina is because they are flat bottomed hulls. Any air that enters that little space between the hull and the water at the bow of the boat, just slides along the flat of the bottom and out the ass end. Transducers can't shoot through air, so they lose bottom trying to read through those bubbles.

on a "vee" bottomed boat, the bubbles that enter that interface between hull and water, "rise to the top" by sliding up the "Vee" and out the side of the boat. By the time the water gets to the stern of the boat, most of the air's been released, and the transducer is in fairly clean water. That's why "Vee's" are somwhat easier to get decent readings on.

I've had two caro's and I've done through hulls, shoot through's, transom mounts, you name it. The only way to make it work at high speed is to get the transducer deeper in the water. Trust me on this one.

Yeah, I wasnt sure how the bottom was constructed. But fro my research I am suprised that anybody bothers to mount them on the stern that has a solid bottom. Im gonna try it. I hate loosing the temp guage however.

Try this....had somethig like it on my 16' alum jon with same bubble problems.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
    Absecon Saltwater Sportsmen
    Stonerod- Trustee

Hopewell Twp, SJ (Hopefully for good this time!!)

On mine I just accept it as a way of life for the C'skiff. Plus, I realize that my chances of inadvertantly running aground are like 0.005%, since I can plane in about 6" of water. As for finding structure while running, oh well. If I want to really check out some water, I'll go slowly enough over the area to where the transducer doesn't fail.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Ty R
    On mine I just accept it as a way of life for the C'skiff. Plus, I realize that my chances of inadvertantly running aground are like 0.005%, since I can plane in about 6" of water. As for finding structure while running, oh well. If I want to really check out some water, I'll go slowly enough over the area to where the transducer doesn't fail.
    That about sums it up for me too!
    Tom Merighi, Jr.
    Partnership
    http://www.savoyinn.com
    Merighi's Savoy Inn- Home of Barnfest
    It's ALL About Commitment
    PROUD RFA MEMBER & ADVERTISER OF THEBASSBARN.COM
    Member # 186

trd

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Ty R
    Same here i have a Twin Vee and at full throttle it says the water is 200' or so deep then settles down as the boat slows.

Found this it designed to sit level in a bed of oil in the inside of the bilge. Have not been able to get a price yet. It says you can mount in a double hulled /foam filled boat but instalation looks complicted
    http://www.airmartechnology.com/airm...=All&PageNo=99

Barrell

I don't think you're understanding the situation here.

The problem of a Carolina Skiff losing bottom on a depth finder has nothing to do with the type of transducer. The airmar you are looking at is a fine unit, and will work in a lot of applications. But it won't work WELL in yours.

Here's your quote " Yeah, I wasnt sure how the bottom was constructed. But fro my research I am suprised that anybody bothers to mount them on the stern that has a solid bottom. Im gonna try it. I hate loosing the temp guage however."

Are the people who you talked to that have been successful with "shoot through the hull's" using a vee, or modified Vee bottom? I think you'll find the answer to be yes.

On a modified, or deep Vee boat that has a solid glass bottom ( not cored) you can often get darn good results with a shoot through like the airmar you linked. But on a FLAT bottom boat, the problems will persist.

Flat bottom boats trap air bubbles between the hull and the water, as the boat moves forward. The bubbles can't slide up and out like on a Vee boat because there's no Vee. They just "hang out" until they exit the stern by the motor.

Fishfinders (depth finders, etc) work on the principle of sonar. Sound waves shoot through the water, strike an object and bounce back. But they don't shoot through air, so the bubbles trapped between the hull and the water when you are going fast, will disrupt the signal. You'll lose bottom.

I'm just trying to save you from spending a lot of money on a nice piece, that probably won't solve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelyHooked
    Barrell

I don't think you're understanding the situation here.

The problem of a Carolina Skiff losing bottom on a depth finder has nothing to do with the type of transducer. The airmar you are looking at is a fine unit, and will work in a lot of applications. But it won't work WELL in yours.

Here's your quote " Yeah, I wasnt sure how the bottom was constructed. But fro my research I am suprised that anybody bothers to mount them on the stern that has a solid bottom. Im gonna try it. I hate loosing the temp guage however."

Are the people who you talked to that have been successful with "shoot through the hull's" using a vee, or modified Vee bottom? I think you'll find the answer to be yes.

On a modified, or deep Vee boat that has a solid glass bottom ( not cored) you can often get darn good results with a shoot through like the airmar you linked. But on a FLAT bottom boat, the problems will persist.

Flat bottom boats trap air bubbles between the hull and the water, as the boat moves forward. The bubbles can't slide up and out like on a Vee boat because there's no Vee. They just "hang out" until they exit the stern by the motor.

Fishfinders (depth finders, etc) work on the principle of sonar. Sound waves shoot through the water, strike an object and bounce back. But they don't shoot through air, so the bubbles trapped between the hull and the water when you are going fast, will disrupt the signal. You'll lose bottom.

I'm just trying to save you from spending a lot of money on a nice piece, that probably won't solve your problem.
    I think your confused I dont have a carolina skiff. I have a solid bottom 21 foot maratime that is having the same problems with transducer signal loss and I refuse to accept it. My boat will hit 43mph and I want a clean signal when Im running. I used to run my 17 whaler off the beach all the time and found some of my best lumps by accident when running full speed (32 mph) in the whaler. I never had a problem with that cheap hummingbird on the whaler.

Cool

I use a Eagle tri finder on my 14' carolina skiff with no problems @ full speed.The transducer has a nice shape,had sitex & that was a problem with the tranducer shape
    Also have tri finder on 15' CC Keywest,which runs around 50 mph & no problem with signal except in 3' or less
    Last edited by Pineyjack; 02-09-2007 at 07:05 AM.
    Piney

barrell- you find a fix for it let me know- I have that same hull.
    Fish like it\'s your last chance!<br />Boat \"Escape Plan\".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast