PVC or Schedule 40 Pilings?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC or Schedule 40 Pilings?

Default PVC or Schedule 40 Pilings?

Hey Guys,
    Anybody ever use PVC or schedule 40 for pilings? I see them used in creeks and some back bays but didn't know if they were sturdy enough. It seems to make sense that with a mud bottom you could have more stability than a wood piling because the mud could anchor from the inside of the piling also. I've seen as little as 3-4 inch PVC pipe anchoring pretty large docks on some creeks....I don't know if the current was strong.

Any thoughts?
    Much appreciated.
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I would think they would have to be filled with reinforced concrete to have any strength. We use sch 80 pvc for different piping applications and it isn't that strong.
    For those who talk of freedom and rights remember those who make sure you have them.

Thumbs down

we use 3 inch galv pipe for low docks for crew team. works well in strong current. pvc breaks to easy ,leaving a hazzard.

thanks for the reply guys (Mike and 1 in)....still not sure why they do it.....but it sure looks a lot easier to put in....

1 in the bag...all three of my kids used to row on the Schuylkill for their high school.. you a rower?

Thanks,
    Frank

Supporting Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    Hey Guys,
    Anybody ever use PVC or schedule 40 for pilings? I see them used in creeks and some back bays but didn't know if they were sturdy enough. It seems to make sense that with a mud bottom you could have more stability than a wood piling because the mud could anchor from the inside of the piling also. I've seen as little as 3-4 inch PVC pipe anchoring pretty large docks on some creeks....I don't know if the current was strong.

Any thoughts?
    Much appreciated.
    Frank

Go with a 4" pipe then find the next size down and it will slide up into the 4" pipe. Double walled will make them lots stiffer. Coat the smaller one with 5200 before you slide them together. Once that stuff binds them together you won't believe how stiff they will be.

Then go rent a 3-5hp 2" pump at a rental joint. Figure a way to connect the pump hose to the end of the PVC pipe and jet them in to whatever depth you want..

Bluewater Marine Surveying

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk
    Go with a 4" pipe then find the next size down and it will slide up into the 4" pipe. Double walled will make them lots stiffer. Coat the smaller one with 5200 before you slide them together. Once that stuff binds them together you won't believe how stiff they will be.

Then go rent a 3-5hp 2" pump at a rental joint. Figure a way to connect the pump hose to the end of the PVC pipe and jet them in to whatever depth you want..
    Neet stuff!
    Archie / High Wire in the BZL,CMNJ and SW FL
    Monitoring the BBC (The Bass Barn Channel 78)
    TheBassBarn Reef Program
    2008 Duke of Fluke 1st Place 31.6 pounds!

No im not Frank,i help with the dock{work for the city of ocean city}

just a heads up pvc prices will jump tomorrow as well as copper and galvanized pipe.

Thanks for all you help boys...time to put the docks in the next week or so...this will be my first time doing and I have some help. going to give the schedule 40 a try. If the neighbors are using it...they must know something...Picking up 2x 20ft lengths in Bridgeton in a week or so. It ain't cheap...
    thanks again all,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    Hey Guys,

Any thoughts?
    Much appreciated.
    Frank
    Not sure if I've ever seen pvc schedule 40 used for pilings??

I know that now the epa makes you use vinyl coated pilings and bulkheads around clam and oyster bed areas.

They don't want any of the chemical treated lumber used on bulkheads where the chemicals can leach out into the beds

I have two sport port floating docks for two heavy 900# each jet skis. I was skeptical when the manufacturer said to use a 4 inch sch 40 pvc pipe in each corner as pilings. After 4 seasons in pretty rough conditions (exposed to the open bay) I have not had any problems. I think the suggestion to put a pipe in a pipe with 5200 would work if you have a heavier boat.

P4 fun,yo criss,#1 wire was at 3$ a pound yeterday.This was a good post for me being the first slip at D -dock,I got one shot at getting in,after that...well you know.Painting the bottom this week,if we don`t get snow.Hope to be down in 2 weeks.
    Gaff in the head doesen`t mean your in the boat!

We used 4" pvc on one of our docks. We put caps on the bottom end and pured a bag of sac crete in the pipe for weight. Then jetted them into desired depth. Filled the rest of the way up with sac crete. Still going strong after two years and should last a good while longer.
    CaptEddieB / TimeTreasure / Ancient Mariner

Default pvc for pilings

i would not use pvc for a piling after a few years the sun will destroy the pvc it is not uv protected and if we get a good icing the pvc does not stand a chance against a 100# iceburg

Two of my neighbors have slid PVC over their wood pilings to extend the height of their pilings to deal with the occassional extra high tide. In both cases, they are using the PVC to keep their boats off of the docks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.