BASS BARN banner

CM: Temple Reef & Alta Pesca Trip to the Las Perlas Islands, Panama

12K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Dashing Dan 
#1 · (Edited)

Just returned from a really special trip to a chain of small islands approximately 60 / 80 miles off the coast of Panama City, Panama. What made this trip really special was the opportunity to fish and live as "locals" and enjoy an offshore fishery that is truly unique, remote and generally not available to Americans. Kevin and I brought and fished exclusively Temple Reef rods as Alta Pesca's staff wanted to see them in action prior to taking the line on as the exclusive dealers for Panama. We also experimented with the new Ballista Poppers, accessories and back support belts. We also threw quite a bit of our go to lures, the $10 Salas surface irons (swimbaits).

I've uploaded the videos (unedited) to our youtube channel so you can see the bends of the rods in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4qLlnOdrYM

Since we where to spend three days offshore, rather than spend alot of money for a hotel, we opted to rent an apartment in one of the many newly constructed buildings. It was very modern and we where the third people to rent it so it was really clean and nice.

The apartment had a full kitchen and washer/dryer which was great to wash our clothes after two days offshore

Some History I found online and learned from our hosts, Alta Pesca Pro Shop in Panama City, Panama.

In pre-Columbian times, the Pearl Islands were ruled by an Indian king whose subjects’ main occupation was pearl-diving. Pearls were then used as ornaments and objects of trade. Some of the most renowned pearls in the world were collected in these waters.

The Pearl Islands precipitated the greed of the Spaniards. Vasco Nuñez de Balboa, who discovered and gave name to the Pacific Ocean from a point less than 90 kilometers 45 miles from San Jose Island, was attracted by its wealth in gold and pearls. Later on, the Pearl Islands sheltered famous pirates of different nationalities who, for several centuries, looted the wealthy Spanish fleet and settlements.

Finally the United States used the Pearl Islands as a forward listening post and at some point during WWIIl populated the Island with White Tail Deer and Boar for sport hunting and food. They also built the dirt runaway which is still in use today by the island's owner, the President of Copa Airlines. Unfortunately the island was also used for bomb practice and many unexploded bombs are still located on the island to this day ( of course non too close to the resort but the Indians do routinely report seeing them).

Our adventure begins in Panama City where our hosts collected us and drove to the Marina over the Bay causeway. Many of you from the first trips might remember the causeway and marina where we had lunch in the place with the glass floor allowing a view of the fish below. There are also some small shops there and its a popular place to walk/jog on the weekends.

So we load-up Jan's '33 Worldcat with enough ice, food, rods and tackle to support the trip. Its easy the marina is like a golf club, we had three or four porters and they made short work of hundreds of pounds of ice, gear, food, etc via some pretty nice carts.

The boat is really nice with everything you could need or want for offshore fishing, once underway we make 33 mph at 1.2/1.3 with sprints to as much as 40 during the day when we had good light, the beam is amazing wide excellent stable platform for fishing.

Shot of Panama City Coastline as we make our way across the bay

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
We make our way to the largest of the Islands, San Jose, that supports a very small and exclusive eco-type resort consisting of 17 small cabanas and one large main building housing the bar, restaurant, additional bathrooms and a viewing deck.

Here we are having breakfast in the main house on Saturday our first full day of fishing. We stopped and fished some weedline on the way out Friday night but only picked a few small mahi off it.

Hotel has a natural spring feed pool with no chorine

There is no dock or marina, to gain access to the island you radio in and an Indian comes in a small canoe to a very small zodiac which then comes to the boat to take you to the beach. It was a bit interesting the first night at dusk, but we mastered it by the second day. Having a waterproof HPA bag(s) is an absolute must.

#3 · (Edited)
Most of the structures on the island are constructed of local woods especially a type of sugar cane that is as large and strong as bamboo. We stayed three to a cabana as the Island is fairly pricey and it was just a place to crash for a few hours sleep anyway. On the second day, I discovered there were actually additional larger bathrooms and showers in the main lodge so it made it faster in the morning.

#4 · (Edited)
The place is really nice, its rustic not commercialized, very small in terms of the overall size of the island.

At night you hear the ocean crashing on the nearby beach, the calls of the birds woke up before first light and we had a light breakfast that is served buffet style.

Good, strong Panamanian coffee, boiled eggs, toast, oatmeal, homemade cakes, meats/cheeses. We ate quickly as everyone was excited to get to fishing. We radioed for the zodiac and were transported out to the waiting Cat, 3 at at time. The mate had the job of sleeping on the boat to keep everything safe, after all we are 60 miles off the coast of Panama, basically in the middle of nowhere.

First light view from the dining hall deck

The ocean is remarkably flat, the skies are clear, our hosts Jan, Loki, Jose and from Alta Pesca Tackle Shop are as excited as we are about the amazingly good weather as its been raining for weeks nearly everyday in Panama City.

The guys want to make bait, we run to a series of small islands and using sabiki rigs we quickly fill both the live wells with hardy and very large blue runners (Corinbuas) as "insurance" - our hosts are already concerned that the gin clear water might not prove right for jigging as most of the spots prove to be very shallow. Starting with the poppers and Salas 7X - we find action immediately.

My first cast of a Blue/White Salas is picked up my a Wahoo or large Spanish Mac - a short sizzingly run and then nothing but a cleanly cut leader. Dan -1, we are keeping score - our hosts are seasoned tournament anglers and professional ball busters its going to be a fun weekend!

Next cast, I'm picked up again and so is Kevin, we are latched onto stubborn Amico Jacks, excellent table fare and hard fighters. The Temple Reef STK 7'8" HH rods make quick work of these reef donkeys

#5 · (Edited)
The Jacks are plentiful and provide good action but they can really test you and your gear, knots, leaders. In spots we are fishing as shallow as 20 feet and the water is very clear, you can see all kinds of structure rocks and giant boulders keep our Captains on their toes no doubt you have to know these waters or it could be very dangerous but these guys have been fishing these areas since their late teens and they really know them well.

We are fishing pretty much 100% drag at this point and #100 Varivas and #80 Yozuri leaders. Even so, from time to time the fish are winning and a few lures are lost to the Jacks. Our host Favo is a cook and swears these big jacks the Amicos are good eating so we do take a few.

They really provided good action with as many as three or four on at once

At many of the deeper spots we also trying jigging but it didn't produce very much

#7 · (Edited)
The first full day fishing was Saturday, we had risen at 5:00AM, eaten and left the island by 6PM, now at 4:30PM or so we start the 16 or so mile ride back to Isla San Jose to spend the night. Our hosts had brought everything needed to make cevchie
15 limes, salt, sugar, hot sauce, white onion, red onion and in no time flat Favo was dicing the Amico Jack fillets into chicklet sized pieces.

(this shots are on Kevin's camera)

The lime juice cooked the fish and we enjoyed with some rum at the pool before dinner.

Dinner the first night was good - we ordered right off the menu but tonight with fresh Amico and Wahoo we where ready to feast.

(more shots off Kevin's Camera)

Last day fishing we want to focus on Roosterfish but they prove to be impossible to catch, with the faster and far more fearless Jacks being a real problem. Our hosts recommend we try some bottom fishing and we agree!

Our first mystery fish fought extremely hard and almost took Kevin overboard, to keep him out of the rocks, Loki bumps up the drag, fish makes a run and Kevin gets dragged into the corner, just couldn't stop the fish and we get reefed on that one, nothing comes back up but torn up #150 leader.

I'm up next and I max out the drag on the rod, seeking what has just happened to Kevin. Its not long till I feel something below pickup my bait, a live giant blue runner and its not long till the rod is doubled over in a U.

I'm determined to keep what I know is a very good fish out of the rocks, but its not easy - the reel is strong but at 6.2:1 its near impossible for me to turn the handle and I resort to pumping the fish to gain some line. Slowly and stubbornly I begin to gain some line and Jan assures me I have him out of the rocks and can take a breath but there is no resting I figure I have another 150 feet to go or so.

I am realing him up carefully and just waiting for a chance to see him, when Loki yells color "oh es muy grande Dan" now I'm really excited but I cannot see the fish and I don't want to get distracted, i see more of the guys looking down and Favo and Jan are holding gaffs at the ready. When the Grouper finally surfaces its high fives all around, a beautiful Broomtail Grouper, my size of this size class. We recover and get a weight on the Boca - he maxed it out but Jan estimates at least #64 pounds.

#8 ·
Great report. I've flown over Las Perlas on the way to and from Tropic Star. The Pearl Islands look fabulous. Hopefully, they won't get overdeveloped. Looks like you had great weather for the start of the rainy season. Can't wait to get back to Panama, the greatest fishing spot on earth.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks it was a pretty neat place to fish, weather was far better than expected. It only didn't rain as we bought brand new rain gear if we had no rainsuits it would have ha ha.

I don't think San Jose will become overdeveloped the owner has no plans for marketing or promotion they seem
to like it small. There is talk of a fishing tournament to be hosted out of the Island but even then it would be
small.

Link to the first video

http://youtu.be/s4qLlnOdrYM

One thing I love about Panama is the variety of fish you get on any given trip and this was no exception, in 2.25 days of fishing we encountered more than 14 different species of fish.

Including this Pacific Sailfish that picked up a Blue Runner

Sorry Kev - had to remove that non-sponsered advertising on your S***O shirt ;)

Jan battles yet another big jack from the bow of the Worldcat

They said if we caught 20 of these big Jacks first, we would eventually find our Roosterfish

The above is NOT an Amberjack, its an Amico Jack - they are very good eating, we had it grilled, baked and for cechieve - really good eating.

#10 ·
New species on the boat! Aqui es ?? AKA Smelly Grouper

Not exactly sure what this species is, no one on the boat had ever caught one before. Favo said it was a true Snowy Grouper, whatever it was it smelled and smelled really bad, so we started calling it a Smelly Grouper.

If anyone can help ID this fish, sure would appreciate it.

#12 ·
Here are the rest of our pictures, they where on Kevin's camera so I had to get the chip from him... enjoy the shots and if anyone is interested in fishing Panama this Spring, I have 6 seats available for that trip to the Gulf of Chirique region.

Lots and Lots of Amico Jacks encountered this trip, they fight hard but are good to eat

Wahoo on a hand line, you have to love Panama so much variety 14 species in 2.25 days of fishing just amazing

Jan popped up this nice Mullet Snapper

View of cabanas from the beach

Where do I check in ? Is this the lobby ?

Here you can see the Worldcat and then the small canoe to bring guys to shore

Our Cabana

#13 · (Edited)
Dinning hall

Everything is handmade from this bamboo/sugar cane

Bye Bye Las Perlas Islands, it was an amazing experience and I will have to return with our entourage one day they would love it

I think the trip was a fantastic success as we reached our goals:

1) Strengthen friendships with Alta Pesca Panama
2) Promote Temple Reef, HPA and CM Tackle products
3) Have fun, learn new tricks, pass it on

Thank you so much, Jan, Jose, Favo, Loki, Javaier - you are all extremely solid guys!!!! Fish with you anytime, come to the United States and we'll take you for whatever is running!

oh and we helped feed Jan's family and friends for a few days ha ha

Actually Favo and his Wife own a rest in town, so we took the Wahoo there for a feast. Deep Friend Wahoo - never had it but it was extremely good!

#14 ·
Still would like to get a fish ID on this one, one of the guys called it a Leatherback Grouper, another said it was a true Snowy Grouper, I'm not sure and have not been able to find a pic online

Its a very well camouflaged fish and very interesting - never seen one caught before

Camera doesn't show it very well but the tips of the fins are Yellow just the last 1/8"

#22 ·
Yes I was told I'm misspelling it Almaco is the name of the Jacks. Powerful fighters and surprisingly good eating! It was a very good trip, I seem to bring good luck with me whenever I go to Panama (yes I'm knocking on wood). I have four spots left for our Annual Spring trip to Panama if you can swing it, go - heck of a lot of fishing for $3200/PP with the cost of fuel and spare parts it goes up every year uhf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.