BASS BARN banner

Removing Tape Decals From GEL coat

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  2fishes 
#1 ·
Anyone have any advice for removing glue residue safely from Gel coat? I have a 19 foot Robalo with really large 14" letters that spell ROBALO. Well today I noticed some gas leaking out the over flow vent ( I just filled the tank last week and must of overfilled it) and it ran down the side of the boat and pretty much bubbled off the R & O so now the one side just says BALO. Maybe I should name the boat BALO now. Anyway I'm having a really hard time getting the remaining glue residue off. The gel coat seems OK under the sticker. I did a search and WD40 came up and it works but it is really slow. Anyone have any tricks/advice. Thanks in advance. Also any advice for removing the intact stickers and there is also 2 tape stripes that are faded and I would like to remove.

#3 ·
Anyone have any advice for removing glue residue safely from Gel coat? I have a 19 foot Robalo with really large 14" letters that spell ROBALO. Well today I noticed some gas leaking out the over flow vent ( I just filled the tank last week and must of overfilled it) and it ran down the side of the boat and pretty much bubbled off the R & O so now the one side just says BALO. Maybe I should name the boat BALO now. Anyway I'm having a really hard time getting the remaining glue residue off. The gel coat seems OK under the sticker. I did a search and WD40 came up and it works but it is really slow. Anyone have any tricks/advice. Thanks in advance. Also any advice for removing the intact stickers and there is also 2 tape stripes that are faded and I would like to remove.
If your close to electric, try a hair dryer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.