BASS BARN banner

Good lures for lake Wallenpaupack

15K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sjb saxatilis 
#1 ·
Headed to lake Wallenpaupack later this summer. Any ideas for good lures to fish for Wallies or stripers? Thanks - EDD

#2 ·
Bar Hopper said:
Headed to lake Wallenpaupack later this summer. Any ideas for good lures to fish for Wallies or stripers? Thanks - EDD
You definitely will have your best chance catching stripers if you use live alewives. You will have to cast net them and that requires a permit. If you choose not to go that route, you will want to fish very very early in the morning and at night. Use your trolling motor when you get close to the area you want to fish, or you will spook them. Once the boat traffic starts go home or fish for something else. My go to lure for stripers in the sweetwater, especially lakes were alewives are the primary forage is the Norman line of lures in WHITE. Let me stress that again. WHITE. Another bait you should have is a Husky Jerk Size 12 in White. I prefer suspending You can troll these as well, which may increase your odds. As for Walley, I would stick to the Lindy Rig.

#8 ·
Hopper,

Can't help you with the stripers, but tubes, senkos and grubs in crayfish colors (olive, brown) are deadly on smallies. I generally just rig these soft plastics on a plain hook instead of a jig head. Then pinch on a small split shot or two to get the bait to the bottom. Live baits (alewives, medium shiners, even nightcrawlers) work also.

#9 ·
I like fishing jitterbugs and the like at night. Just weave your way in and around all of the floating docks at night and throw your jitterbugs towards shore and blub-blub-blub them back to you. For me that is almost always productive. It's cooler at night, no bugs, no wind, water is like glass, and nobody else out.......well, hardly anyone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.