BASS BARN banner

Freshwater Clams in a Pond?

15K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  snichols 
#1 ·
I found a clam in a small Pond in SE PA yesterday. It's brown, about 4" wide.
Is this a strage/rare find or am I a bit of a dope for not knowing I have clams in my local pond?
I put it right back where I found it...

- Frank

#3 ·
My grandfathers pond had them.

#4 ·
Clams and Mussels are common in freshwater. If you have a fish tank they will help to keep the water clean. In some cases they have been introduced into enviroments where they have become a problem attaching themselves to boats and screwing up water ways like locks, dams and fish laders especialy the zebra mussel.

#7 ·
Fish like them too...

Yes, they are pretty common in ponds around here. Not many people even know they are there. They can make killer bait if you chum with them.

#8 ·
rubber worms for clams

Hi guys, I've been on this board for a few months just getting info from the posts but when I saw this I had to tell this story. My brother & I were fishing a small lake called Scotts Run here in southeast Pa. He was dragging a rubber worm across the bottom when he thought he snagged something. He reeled it in and found a clam that clamped down on his rubber worm. If this isn't weird enough about a half hour later he caught another one the same way. No we weren't drinking and yes I took a picture because we knew nobody would beleive us. I don't know how to post it though. We figured they must lay there opened up and wait for something to pass over them. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

#9 ·
Clams are filter feeders, they don't clamp down to eat like a predator would.

I would assume the clam closed it's shell as a reaction to being bumped by the worm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.