BASS BARN banner

Best Bass Location in NJ?

33K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  ub1243 
#1 ·
Without this turning into a on going argument. Where do you feel the best bass fishing is in new jersey. Maybe county wise would be the best in answering this but thats your choice. I ask this in regaurds to large mouth bass and if you so chose i am curious as to smallies also.

It seems to me that there are major differences in water conditions across this state. I am orginally from somerset county and now reside in gloucester county. The differences between these two are off the charts. I had to completely change my style of fishing when i moved. I feel south jersey provides some pretty good lm bass fishing, however do to the depth of most bodies of water the thermocline highly effects the fishing. Where as in the north you have more rivers, which can be effected more by rain fall or not. I fish alot of the reservoirs the north western section of the state, round valley, spruce run. These provide great enviroments for lm bass, the structure is there, the depth is there and the termocline does not play as big of a part as it does in the south. But weather plays a huge part on these bodies of water. I think its a toss up imo. Whats your thoughts?

#29 ·
I'd say Manasquan is the best lake in the state. It probably has the most fish per acre of any body of water I've fished here.

Spruce Run has a lot of fish in it too but for whatever reason they're extremely difficult to catch at times.

Merrill is the best for average quality but the numbers aren't quite there.

I really want to fish Wanaque...It's got a fence all around it and I've heard fishermen are asked to leave at riflepoint. Sounds exciting.

I know I mentioned northern Jersey lakes as the best but I reside in South Jersey. The size of our lakes really hurts our quality. Fishing a 15-20 boat tournament on a 40 30 or 20 acre lake means up to 40 or more trolling motors buzzing the fish. Up to 40 lines with lures pounding them at a time. It's amazing we catch anything at all. This is another reason the kayakers are doing so well these days. Stealth.

#30 ·
The typical small, shallow lakes and ponds of South Jersey are really not prime habitat for bass. Yes, I know that there are good numbers of largemouth here which is a testament more for the adaptability of the bass rather than the quality of the water.

However, the shallow, weedy and acidic waters of South Jersey are perfect for its native predator fish - the pickerel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.