BASS BARN banner

Best Bass Location in NJ?

33K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  ub1243 
#1 ·
Without this turning into a on going argument. Where do you feel the best bass fishing is in new jersey. Maybe county wise would be the best in answering this but thats your choice. I ask this in regaurds to large mouth bass and if you so chose i am curious as to smallies also.

It seems to me that there are major differences in water conditions across this state. I am orginally from somerset county and now reside in gloucester county. The differences between these two are off the charts. I had to completely change my style of fishing when i moved. I feel south jersey provides some pretty good lm bass fishing, however do to the depth of most bodies of water the thermocline highly effects the fishing. Where as in the north you have more rivers, which can be effected more by rain fall or not. I fish alot of the reservoirs the north western section of the state, round valley, spruce run. These provide great enviroments for lm bass, the structure is there, the depth is there and the termocline does not play as big of a part as it does in the south. But weather plays a huge part on these bodies of water. I think its a toss up imo. Whats your thoughts?

#4 · (Edited)
I can't beleive in 67 views only 2 people have replied. What gives? I know others out there gotta have some thoughts on the matter.

Fishpro, Hunterdon county is the best bass/trout fishing, living, no doubt, love it up there. Got a friend that just bought a nice 3 acre place up there last year so at least i dont have to travel so much anymore. We hit spruce prob the most, and the valley on the calm days. As for the rivers we fish klg, south branch, and some of the north branch mainly trout but next season i think im going for some smallies.

#5 ·
Fishin NJ I have been killing the smallies in the South Branch..Only thing they have been small...to 12inches..I have been fishing with my kids so I have not been able to go to any of my good spots. My largest smallie came out of the South Branch it went 21" and I released it. Still waiting for the trout to turn on...Maybe after the rain:)

#6 ·
For numbers, go up north to the big waters. For overall size, stay in Dixie on the outer ring of the Barrens... :D

#7 ·
best bass lakes

I lived in Gloucester county and fished there for 8years and the past 8 years in Morris county. I would say for best quality fish, Manasquan Reservoir. Best numbers, (don't laugh) Cooper River. For best all around fishing and scenery, Newark Watersheds

#9 ·
I love my Central Jersey farm ponds. There's some real monsters and most have never even seen an artificial bait.
Then I go fish Assunpink which is around the corner from my house and actually have to work for my fish. I get spoiled at these ponds!

#10 ·
I'm another north jersey guy, and really haven't done any fresh water fishing down south. Spruce Run and Round Valley are about as far south as I've ever gone and that was years ago. Personal favorites are Waywayonda, Sheppard's Lake, Greenwood and Upper Greenwood lakes, along with the Newark Watershed reservoirs. Green Turtle Pond is a nice lake too. Had my best luck fishing later in the evening on most of these, but then again, I've fished them a lot more times late than early so that skews the stats.

#12 ·
Delaware River

In my opinion the Delaware River from High Point to the Salem River offers the most access and bass availability than any other body of water in the State.Whether its Smally's at Dinghams Ferry or Largemouths in Dredge harbor it has it all.The Tidal sections Smallmouth population is exploding,and the Continuing growth of Milfoil in the Creeks and Main River has the Largemouth population rising.HRL:)

#13 ·
little anth said:
i had dident do well at waywanda.what time do you like it.
I've had better luck fishing deeper on Waywayonda. A buddy that was way, way into fishing for trout there used to catch a lot of big (5+ pounds) bass by drifting herring over the middle of the front part of the lake. Also try trolling crankbaits in front of the bathing beach.

#14 ·
Moved to South Jersey (salem county) nine years ago from central PA. Pa had bigger bodies of waters and bigger and more varied fish species. Big Pike, Big Bass, Walleye and Hybrid Stripers.
The ponds (Itty bitty lakes) in SJ are a fun way to kill some time but nine years later I still wouldn't eat the fish that come out of that slop.

#27 ·
dreadthis1: Hahaha me either!
I grew up fishing palatine lake, centerton lake, parvins lake..... I love fishing the connecting streams and have always done well. But i always said i would never eat a fish out of those waters!
Ahh, Thanks for those memories. I cut my teeth on those lakes as a young man. Got hurt many times, but putting in the time made the difference.

#20 ·
^ damn thats a pig.

Ive never fished north jersey before, all my fishing is south jersey and some rivers in pa.

My favorite counties down here have to be cumberland/glouc/salem. I think they hold most of the big bass.

But my favorite of all is fishing quarries and farm ponds, and there all over SJ :D

#31 ·
Home sweet home isn't it? Growing up in SJ really teaches you how to fish shallow, murky, and vegetation filled waters.

But I would say Cumberland and Salem being my favorite two counties. I have fished Sussex county, and while the fishing was good, and the numbers were good, the quality and size wasn't there. Just my opinion though, everybody is going to have the preferences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.