BASS BARN banner

jon boat on roof of mini-van?

19K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  merf 
#1 ·
Folks, I have the opportunity to purchase a 12' jon boat that I plan to use at our vacation home 1000 miles away. I want to transport the jon boat to our place by putting it "bottom-up" on the roof rack of our Chrysler T&C mini-van. I figure I can secure some 2X4's across the roof rack and tie the boat down additionally in the front and back. I really don't want to get involved in using a trailer. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
I know you don't want to get a trailer, but you really ought to think about it, especially with a van involved. Try your thought out (only I'd pad the 2x4's) and see what it does to your mileage. Even bottom up, it's going to catch air like you wouldn't believe, and a van is a big sail as it is. JMO

#4 · (Edited)
The built in roof racks on most mini vans and SUVs are rated at about 125 lb. A 12' john should be in that area. The problem may be clearence on the roof between the boat and the roof itself.

You may be able to use the 2x4's for clearence. I did a similar thing on mine. You could also try the foam blocks they sell for canoes.

One other suggestion. Since the factory roof racks are not real strong on long trips I run the tie down straps over the roof and the boat and through the open doors and the tighten them. That way you are tieing the boat to the roof rather than the roof rack that is held on by a few screws. Twist the tie downs so they don't hum.

And use a front and rear tie down. Make sure the front tie down don't lay on your hood. It will damage the paint. Use a cloth or pad between the rope and the hood to protect the paint.

#7 ·
Folks, thanks for the speedy replies to my question. I do plan to tie it to the car under the front and rear bumpers (and perhaps through the car as suggested). Also, it will be bottom up and collect no rain. I may even use thick styrofoam sheets on the roof to keep the full weight off the roof rack. More suggestions are welcome.

#8 · (Edited)
I sold small boats for years and have tied boats and canoes onto everything from vans to VW bugs.. The roof rack/2x4 system should work out fine.. Remember to lash the 2x4 to the rack, and tie your cross ropes/straps to the rack itself, as opposed to the 2x4s,.. I always used 1/4" nylon rope secured with a truckers hitch to apply good tension.. If you do employ foam blocks, be sure the top of the vehicle is clean or cover it with a cloth first.. I have seen foam blocks "sand" the paint off roofs on long trips due to vibration on a gritty surface..Also, cut some squares of old carpet, and put them under the ropes/straps where they contact the boat or vehicle.. This will keep vibration/friction for cutting through the straps on a long trip.. Good luck!

#12 ·
Folks, Thanks for the many suggestions on transporting my jon boat on the roof of my mini-van. I will consider all on my trip west. The rack is rated for max. 150 pounds, so I am OK there. I will look into the items that can be used to secure it better. Any further ideas or experiences are welcome.

#13 ·
i do it all the time

when i first went to put my 12 foot grumman up on my 06 grand caravan i was kind of scared. but i did it anyway. i used those pool noodles cut in half to protect the van and boat. after it was protected i put it directly on the rack(its a real skinny rowboat 42"). then i lashed it down with rachet straps never had a problem. from here at Fort Dix up to around Erie, PA.around 800 mile round trip. i never had a problem at all. good luck to you..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.