BASS BARN banner

Rancocas Creek Help Please

22K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  gman08016 
#1 ·
Come on guys, got to get something going on Rancocas Creek, I haven't fished it in about 15 years or more, and only fished it 2 times but both where very productive bass trips. If I remember correctly I caught at least 8 fish each trip and remember 3 or 4 being over 4lbs, I was fishing out of a 11 foot Crawdad with only a 41lb thrust T/M. I have a 18.5' Skeeter now a want to hit the creek again. I did a search but did not come up with much, so any information anyone can give me would be deeply appreciated.
Thank You
Joe

#2 ·
joeyd50 said:
Come on guys, got to get something going on Rancocas Creek, I haven't fished it in about 15 years or more, and only fished it 2 times but both where very productive bass trips. If I remember correctly I caught at least 8 fish each trip and remember 3 or 4 being over 4lbs, I was fishing out of a 11 foot Crawdad with only a 41lb thrust T/M. I have a 18.5' Skeeter now a want to hit the creek again. I did a search but did not come up with much, so any information anyone can give me would be deeply appreciated.
Thank You
Joe
Hey Joey
That creek changes all the time so be carefull .
Back in the flats in Lumberton is great fishing but the last time i went was about 5 years ago and it was real shallow and at low tide i could walk from one side to the other.

Good luck

#4 ·
Joey I have only been up here for a few years but I loved the rancocas the few times I fished it. I agree with oldsalts about the section that runs through Lumberton twp (3-4 mile span of upstream shallow water). I caught a giant bass (maybe 5lbs) in some real shallow water last spring. Most of the bass I catch in the river though are like cookey cutter 12 inch LMB. I hear though that striper will run up it a little ways chasing the herring so I'm looking forward to that... All in all it is a huge area to fish so enjoy your self finding spots and catching fish.

BTW - there is a little boat ramp on Marne highway in hainesport you could use. I think it's 10 bucks???

-Matt

#5 ·
Joey - I live on and fish the Ranny and there are all kinds of fish - lmb, stripers, muskies and the regular catfish, perch, crappie, carp. I heard on this forum that the herring run up the Rancocas to the Mt. Holly dam. I plan to give that a try this spring. I see the fry starting to come in with the tide, so the fishing should pick up when the weather cooperates. As already mentioned, there are low spots, sand bars etc. High tide isn't much of a problem but you can learn a lot at low tide. Good Luck.

#6 ·
Sunken trees will kill you if you don't watch out. They move every year and a good run threw with a shallow drawing boat at low tide is the only way to learn where they are. Plenty of life all over. Great fishing early before it becomes a jet ski drag strip. There is a free ramp next to the old FLO's lake side tavern. Be warned that it isn't maintained by anyone and a 4wd is a must especially at low tide. I find catfish stacked in holes behind bends and islands where there is fast moving current and bass in the pads all over. Great crappie fishing on small small twisters

#7 ·
rancocas

Very dangerous place ,Hit a stump and it knocked my motor right off my boat during a tourn.I marked the motor and trolled to flows and had a talk with a guy at the ramp john slifko he was nice enough to bring back my engin cover wow what a guy.Told him that me and the marine police were going to get the motor first thing in the morning. But when i got there it was gone,yes gone.see i did not know the guys name at the ramp until eye witness saw him and gave me his name, plus he went around saying he found a 200hp motor. Don't think so.Im just now talking to all these people that knew about it and knows him. They all said the same thing. John found it. He sure did not find it,He stole it. Sorry can't give you the names of the people that helped him right now. But when the dust settles i will be the victor.

#11 ·
bullseye11f150 said:
I want to come up there and fish also. Are there any nice places to eat up there on the water where you can dock, eat, and have a beer after fishing?
Flo's use to be the perfect spot but they closed. Dunlevies has the eat and beer covered but no dock. You can tie up to the rt38 bridge and go up the hill but not the safest place to leave your boat. There is a place on the south side of the creek just past the 295 bridge that use to have awsome breakfast/brunch but no beer. All thats left by boat is Curtains/ the warf in burlington and penns landing. Both are a bit of a haul from the rancocas.

#12 ·
Lightning Jack's on the south side of the Ranny west of the 130 Bridge in Delran(Riverside?) is a marina that used to have food. It was BYOB. It may still have food. There are nice eating spots in Dredge Harbor and the other marina closer to the Ranny with entry from the Delaware - I forget the name - duh. But, sadly, picknicking may be best.

If you need someone to join you to fish. let me know.

#13 ·
Rancocusrich, I see you are from the Willingboro area and I was wondering if you know what that body of water is that I see when I drive up rt. 130. It is on my right as I go northbound just before I get into Burlington. It has some islands out there and I always see geese in there. Are there any fish in there and is it fishable? Thanks.

#15 ·
The lakes you see were given to Willingboro for use as public space. I think that was about 8 years ago. As far as I know it is totally open to the public. At one time it was privately owned and was a fishing club with dues. That is no longer the case. You can park right there where you see cars along Rt. 130 or turn right at the traffic light (Arby's) onto Beverly-Rancocas Road and turn right again on the next street. Drive down past the truck companies and park there and walk through the field to the lakes. I have fished there and have caught bass and crappies. The usual baits work well - spinners, small twisters etc. I did see one really big bass caught there. Give it a try.

#16 ·
rancocasrich said:
The lakes you see were given to Willingboro for use as public space. I think that was about 8 years ago. As far as I know it is totally open to the public. At one time it was privately owned and was a fishing club with dues. That is no longer the case. You can park right there where you see cars along Rt. 130 or turn right at the traffic light (Arby's) onto Beverly-Rancocas Road and turn right again on the next street. Drive down past the truck companies and park there and walk through the field to the lakes. I have fished there and have caught bass and crappies. The usual baits work well - spinners, small twisters etc. I did see one really big bass caught there. Give it a try.
Thanks for the info, can I get my crawdad, battery and trolling motor down there?

#17 ·
I see people occasionally with canoes or little boats out by Rt. 130 either taking them off cars or putting them on. I have also seen people on the water occasionally in a small boat. I'm guessing there is a way and suggest you check it out. Going in from the Rt. 130 side and not the back way would be easier.

#19 ·
DaveC said:
RancocasRich...I'd like to talk to you re: the muskies in there. CAn I have your email address?
Rich, We have to go for the river stripers again this year. BTW, if you do talk to Dave, make sure he reveals some of his "secret" D River Striper spots!:D

Cassie and Darian are itching for catfishing again as well. I'll bring the bigger boat this time.

Kevin

#22 ·
rancocasrich said:
Joey - I live on and fish the Ranny and there are all kinds of fish - lmb, stripers, muskies and the regular catfish, perch, crappie, carp. I heard on this forum that the herring run up the Rancocas to the Mt. Holly dam. I plan to give that a try this spring. I see the fry starting to come in with the tide, so the fishing should pick up when the weather cooperates. As already mentioned, there are low spots, sand bars etc. High tide isn't much of a problem but you can learn a lot at low tide. Good Luck.
Rich, if you don't mine me asking, where do you launch your boat on the Rancocas Creek.
Thanks
Joe

#23 ·
Joe, I have my boat in the water at my house. There are several spots on the Ranny to launch at marinas between the mouth of the Delaware and the Rt. 130 bridge. One is called "RanDel" (or used to be) in Riverside and the other is Lightening Jack's off Bridgeboro Rd. Rich

#24 ·
rancocasrich said:
Boy thats going a while back.I used to belong to that fishing club.My father use to patrol that place for the owners.Caught alot of crappie and bass in both lakes.I do remember a ski club use to lease the big lake for there practice.One year they put some kind of weed killer in the water and fishing never seem to be the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.