BASS BARN banner

Fishing the Wissahickon for trout

16K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  apexii 
#1 ·
I just recently moved to the Whitemarsh area and was wondering if they stock the upper part of the Wissahickon in Montgomery Co.? I know they stock the Philadelphia section.

#2 ·
there is some great water over in flourtown,i think thats as far up as they stock.Another sweet stretch of the creek is in valley green, im not wild about the bells mill section but if you walk down stream from bells mill rd there is a nice covered bridge and a set of falls it a pretty good hike though.

#6 ·
Never Better said:
Joe,
Joshua Rd. gets stocked also. Shoot me an email if you're headed there & I'll stop in to say hi.
Tom
tomsermarini@comcast.net

correction- I forgot it's called Lafayette along that stretch
Thanks!

I'm not sure yet if I'll be heading there for opening day. If it's nice out I'll probably bring the kids to the pond in KOP that gets stocked for kids only. If it's going to be cold, I'll be out in the morning of opening day and during the week sometime. I'll shoot you an email either way and let you know when I'm going.

#8 ·
Glad you posted this, Im looking for a place to sneak to from work in Ambler. Cross the Wissy everyday but figure I am above the stocked stretch because there is a lot of private land.

RyanF

#10 · (Edited)
Never Better said:
Joe,
Don't forget , closer to home is the little pond in Erdenheim just off Bethlehem Pike on Montgomery Ave. that is stocked with trout, also kids only. I've heard they put some nice fish in there sometimes.
Tom
Thanks Tom for the heads-up; I didn't know about that place. Do you know if they are stocking it for opening day for the kids? Any details about it anywhere on the web?

ReadyJettyGo said:
Don't forget Loch Alsh Reservoir...
I haven't been there in ages. That's definitely a place I can take the kids. I was introduced to the aqua-bubble sinker there in my younger years.

#13 ·
Fly Fishing Wissahickon

I just started fly fishing down in the Wissahickon down the path from Kitchen Lane--- any tips for a beginner, any good spots, fly suggestions? - i've been down there every night this week and not a bite and i know they just stocked the damn thing.:confused:

Joe D. said:
I just recently moved to the Whitemarsh area and was wondering if they stock the upper part of the Wissahickon in Montgomery Co.? I know they stock the Philadelphia section.

#14 ·
Hey w33d5,

I just started fly fishing as well and fish the wissy religiously. I've been doing really well there. Lastnight I stopped by after work and caught 4 nice rainbows (all 13-15 inches) in about an hour and a half. I usually fish the bells mill section, basically from chestnut hill college to down past the covered bridge. Been having a lot of luck with olive/tan wooley buggers. I'll be heading back down there tonight after work. If you want I'd be happy to meet up along the bank. Again I've only been fly fishing for about a week and a half so I don't really know what I am doing but I am catching them somehow.

#15 ·
Spin, that would be great. I actually live closer to there but i was thinking that the turns would pan out better---my theory hasnt really panned out. you'll see me down there tonight. green hat, orange line, black bag.

-joe

spinNgrin said:
Hey w33d5,

I just started fly fishing as well and fish the wissy religiously. I've been doing really well there. Lastnight I stopped by after work and caught 4 nice rainbows (all 13-15 inches) in about an hour and a half. I usually fish the bells mill section, basically from chestnut hill college to down past the covered bridge. Been having a lot of luck with olive/tan wooley buggers. I'll be heading back down there tonight after work. If you want I'd be happy to meet up along the bank. Again I've only been fly fishing for about a week and a half so I don't really know what I am doing but I am catching them somehow.

#16 ·
w33d5 said:
Spin, that would be great. I actually live closer to there but i was thinking that the turns would pan out better---my theory hasnt really panned out. you'll see me down there tonight. green hat, orange line, black bag.

-joe
Joe,

I should be pulling into the bells mill parking lot around 6pm. I will have on olive breathable waders, a green fishing vest, a blue baseball cap that says "Colton", and a yellow line. I am planning on fishing upstream from the bells mill bridge. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Jason

#17 ·
spinNgrin said:
Joe,

I should be pulling into the bells mill parking lot around 6pm. I will have on olive breathable waders, a green fishing vest, a blue baseball cap that says "Colton", and a yellow line. I am planning on fishing upstream from the bells mill bridge. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Jason

sounds good.

#23 ·
Yup, you've got it. There is a parking lot right at the creek. Walk downstream to the covered bridge. The riffles below the bridge is a good spot to fish. If you keep walking further downstream you will come to another bridge. Below that bridge is another good spot. You can also fish up stream from bells mill, there's a bunch of very productive holes and it is not as much walking as the other direction. Good luck.

#24 ·
Thanks SpinNGrin, i'll try there this evening. I live about 15 mins to the east in the Jenkintown area.

I've caught many trouts on the creek off 73 (next to the Fort Washington Park) but lately it appears like they have been 'served'.

You think there are any left overs (trouts) under the Bells mill road area?

#26 ·
Bells Mill is in the city

Just an FYI, Bells Mill road is in Philly so that didn't get the stock in May, as far as I can tell. Montgo border begins at Stenton Avenue above Chestnut Hill College and Fitz Dixon farm. Lot of fish still left in Flourtown and Ft. Washington area. I took my 21 month old for a walk on Sunday and brought a rod. Got 3 in 20 minutes before he dropped my phone in the water. The boy got to reel one in, sort of...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.