BASS BARN banner

Green Lane Resv PA ?

25K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  waltg15 
#1 ·
Went to Green Lane yesterday with my son. My first time there in 30+ yrs.
We rented one of their 12 ft jon boats with electric trolling motor. Good deal $5 per hr. Had a good time for $10.

The park people and the gals at the gas/bait station had no info about fishing the place. No topo chart. Gal said they sell lots of minnows (we of course had not brought a minnie bucket).

Threw red wigglers along the steep side, LOts of sunnies.

This seems like a very good lake system. Bald eagles nest at one end.

Anybody have tips on how & where to fish these waters?

#4 ·
i haved fished there over the past few years and have done quite well in the shallow coves around fallen trees for largemouth. have had a few smallies chase in my lures in open water. while trolling out in the middle i have caught large crappies and yellow perch, and tons of white perch around the banks. the largest bass i have ever seen in this area, i found floating on its side, alive, with a 3/4lb crappie dead and lodged in its throat. we got the crappie out and tried to nurse the bass back for over a half hour, but when we left it was still floating on its side. even though i only catch and release, i was half tempted to have it mounted because it was going to die anyway. and it was huge, 9.6lbs on my scale .

#5 ·
fletch said:
go to the boat launch off 29 you need your own trooling motor much shallower water get your self a minnow seine from walmart cathing bait is as much fun as fishing for the little guys:D
You have to quarantine your boat there before you're allowed on the lake....

#6 ·
My friend keeps his boat there, we fish the coves for bass. If i was going to rent a boat i would get it at bottom of the lake , more coves.
I live 100 yrds. from the eagles nest thought a plane was going over when i was mowing the lawn last week (shadow) it was the eagles:D :D

#7 ·
The large mouth fishing and Musky fishing are good early in the morning. Without giving too much info, I would concentrate on the wood, before the water gets too warm...... The farthest Cove has perminate log jam in it. Even if you can't see it, its there. Get there before dawn and hit the logs with top waters or sluggo's..

Russ
"STILL ON THE JOB"

#8 ·
6 bucks an hour to rent a rowboat up top :D your allowed to bring your own trolling motor i think it's 20 bucks if you don't live in mont. county big pike still in that lake they haven't stocked it in years but still lots of big fish in there you need a portabable depht finder thats key

#10 ·
We used to fish it with a canoe about 30 years ago when the water authority owned it. The cappies used to thick in there and in May you could catch hundreds of them in the coves and along the banks.

It wasn't legal to be in there at the time but teenagers told no, turns into a challenge.

#11 ·
Green Lane Reservoir?

Ok, i'm confused; which is nothing out of the ordinary...:confused: :D

Green lane lets you launch your own boat? Is this on the reservoir or deep creek?

I've been there a few times and have never seen any personal boats on the water, just the POS jonboats they rent.

I was up there last sunday, there at 7:30 with a dozen other people thinking they were getting an early start, we barely got a boat, and the one we got needed to be pumped out. There was some hardcore feeding action going on at the surface all morning, I could not tell if they were bass or carp, but the place is loaded with both and they were just banging bugs on the surface until about 10:30-11am. We could easily see fish and managed to land only one nice lm, it weighed 2.75lbs on my crappy, non-boga scale (damm, boga's are $$$). The water at the surface registered at 81, seemed awful warm.. but felt it too. The bass seemed to be holding very close to the shoreline also.

For $20, you really can't beat 5hrs of fishing with a boat and electric motor!!!

The comment about the gas/bait station made me think we're talking about something else, the place I rent the boats is a small room with a big pike mounted on the wall...

So, someone please educate me on if we're talking about the same body of water!

#12 ·
Mike Hammer said:
We used to fish it with a canoe about 30 years ago when the water authority owned it. The cappies used to thick in there and in May you could catch hundreds of them in the coves and along the banks.

It wasn't legal to be in there at the time but teenagers told no, turns into a challenge.
In my rebellious years:p I use to live in one of the cabins where the Marboro school is now and we would sneak into the water company land and catch all kinds of monster fish off the banks:eek:

#13 ·
I think the bait stattion he is talking about is a gas station sitting between Deep Creek and Green Lane and yes they really only sell minnows and do not have alot of info. It is a mom and pop store run by a mother and a daughter. We have had trouble getting info out of the guys who work Green lane also.
From what I know. You can launch your own boat at both places. I dont know about the quarantine rules tho, or where and how you get it done. I think they have had alot of problems in the past with the res. and I know for a fact they had problems with deep creek.
Great carp fishing spot. You rent a boat and chum on a day with no wind thoses suckers will pull you all over.

Do they stock it with Musky?

#14 ·
they put pike in years ago to control the sunfish but it didn't work the pike ate the stocked trout they used to put in caught a 46 inch pike years ago at the bottom boat launch reeling in a 10 inch trout 6lb test a ton of people were gathered around maybe because i was yelling so loud when it blew up next to the boat best bait would be 2-3 inch sunfish for them now as far as the boat thing you need to quarintine for ten days but you can rent small 14 foot jon boats for cheap bring your batt. and trolling motor up top ,down below they have them on already you will wait longer for a boat down bottom then up top musky only stocked years ago except for a few raised by an unnamed local:D :D put about 25 in this year around 13 inch 2 16 inch fatties are in deep creek if you do hook into one of these little guy's please let them go gently they will be monsters in a few years

#18 ·
Everyone was correct about the places I mentioned.
The gas station selling bait is the Mom and daughter - with no info.
the office has musky on the wall.

thanks for the info. Looks like we have to get up there a LOT earlier in AM and rent for 4 to 6 hrs to get around to the cover spots.

I do not have any experience fishing for Bass, except what ive seen on Tv whats a couple favorite plugs type/size i should get?

Can I use minnows?

Just about ready to launch my 14 ft with 15 hp up at Nockamixon. Any tips for up there?

#19 ·
MikeJ said:

thanks for the info. Looks like we have to get up there a LOT earlier in AM and rent for 4 to 6 hrs to get around to the cover spots.

I do not have any experience fishing for Bass, except what ive seen on Tv whats a couple favorite plugs type/size i should get?

Can I use minnows?

Just about ready to launch my 14 ft with 15 hp up at Nockamixon. Any tips for up there?
For lures for a beginner I would say the easiest to use and use well would be spinnerbaits, senkos (wacky rig, hook in middle of worm, let sink and jig it). Im sure minnows would also work, because they always do. The spinnerbaits could always catch the muskies there too. Theres lots of other lures you could use.

#20 ·
MikeJ said:

Can I use minnows?

Hey Mike, yep you'll want to be there around 7:30am to make sure you get one, they open at 8 and not a split-second before. They'll stand in there and stare at the walls before opening the door at 7:59...

I also have very limited bass catching experience, so you're not alone....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.