BASS BARN banner

What the best all around freshwater fishing boat?

36K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  catfishing with worldbook101 
#1 · (Edited)
Whats the best all around freshwater fishing boat?

I Was Looking To Buy A Smaller Boat Between 15 And 17 Foot With A Nice Wide Beam To It I Was Thinking Of Getting A Deep V Aluminum Boat Or Something Like A Carolina Skiff. I Like To Fish Diffrent Lakes And The Delaware River What Do You Think Would Be A Good All Around Freshwater Boat? :d

#2 ·
All welded aluminum jon boat, forget about a Carolina Skiff aluminum can take much more abuse. If you go with something smaller in the 15' range aluminum is light enough that you could use a 9.9 on it, it'll crawl but there's lots of lakes you can't fish with a larger outboard. A jon boat will be more stable for fishing than a deep-V, the V hull is better if conditions get nasty but just watch your weather and I think you'll be alright on Jersey's lakes with any 15' craft ;)
I own a 16' aluminum V-hull and I love it, but I'd love a welded jon-boat more...I feel a jon boat is slightly more fishable. However I've learned that the best freshwater craft to explore a lake in is a kayak...

#3 ·
Get a Lowe jon boat, the green ones, there awesome, through a 9.9 or 15 hp behind them, it will get you through anything on the river, we use ours on the Susky and its awesome and can get just about anywhere.

#4 ·
It seems like alot of people are being turned on to kayaks. Fishermen have alot of good things to say about them there stealth afordable etc... But do you think you can go striper fishing in the spring on the delaware river in Philadelphia on a fishing kayak?

#7 ·
I have a G3 16' all welded modified v with a 55lb trolling motor, great for bass fishing. I will be putting either a 9.9 or a jet motor on it for smallie river fishing. I would say do not get a riveted hull as they are not as durable as an all welded. Look around for used ones in the off season if you are not in a hurry, you will get a good deal.

#9 ·
senkoman215 said:
It seems like alot of people are being turned on to kayaks. Fishermen have alot of good things to say about them there stealth afordable etc... But do you think you can go striper fishing in the spring on the delaware river in Philadelphia on a fishing kayak?
You can fish the Delaware with a kayak. I have done it but I rather be in a boat... philly area and below.

If I had the money I'd go with a 16' welded aluminum V hulled boat. Forget about fiberglass. There are a lot of great brands out there. The flat bottom skiffs and jon boats are more stable, faster on a calm day and draw less water. I would go with a V bottom at least a modified V hull. They are safer if the weather kicks up and they pound way less.

I had a 16' fisher v aluminum with a 50hp and elect trolling that was great. I wish I never sold it.

#10 · (Edited)
yoo guys i just got my boat its a 1999 sea nymph v series lowe 14.8' I just have to buy a tiller motor for it, a battery and some fuses! It has 2 rod lockers a live well and a few storage boxes. The boat is rated for a 40 hp maxium motor i was thinking about getting a 20 to 30 hp four storke tiller motor any ideas of a good brand and model for the motor ? I also have to get a descent fish finder for it too. I was just cleaning the boat out and little pieces of foam were coming out the drain hole should I be Concerned? View attachment 9435

#13 ·
I have a 14' Lowe with a 8hp and absolutely love it.

Been fishing in Round Valley when a storm kicked up 2-3' waves, and it was scary, but we made it to shore safe and sound.

I am absolutely amazed at how fast the boat goes, even with 2 of us on board. When it was fully loaded (2 people, gas motor, electric motor, camping gear, food for 3 days, etc) it could have used a little more speed, but still got up on plane.

The best part? After 3 days of blasting around the reservior, I barely used 1.5 gallons of gas.

#15 ·
senkoman215 said:
yoo guys i just got my boat its a 1999 sea nymph v series lowe 14.8' I just have to buy a tiller motor for it, a battery and some fuses! It has 2 rod lockers a live well and a few storage boxes. The boat is rated for a 40 hp maxium motor i was thinking about getting a 20 to 30 hp four storke tiller motor any ideas of a good brand and model for the motor ? I also have to get a descent fish finder for it too. I was just cleaning the boat out and little pieces of foam were coming out the drain hole should I be Concerned? View attachment 9435
I have a 97 Sea Nymph that is the same model as yours. I have a 25 HP 2 stroke on it and it moves me and two big guys around just fine. Not sure about the foam but they used that to seal a lot of the joints in the floor framing. I would not be that concerned about it if you were flushing out the bottom of the boat to clean it out because after almost 10 years that stuff is going to dry out and come loose. But you got a great boat.

I heard a lot of good things about the new Mercury 20 HP 4 strokes because they are almost 70 pounds lighter than the 25 HP which means less weight on the transom and the boat. Somehow it is suppose to be a better outboard over the 25 HP and is cheaper. My buddy bought one this spring after doing a lot of research and loves his. Go 4 stroke if you can afford it.

#17 ·
senkoman215 said:
Thanks man but i just bought my boat i put this post up a couple days ago. Now Im looking for a descent gas tiller motor for her be a look out guys! latter gator:D

#18 ·
are u sure its not 40 hp with a console. many boats like that are 40 hp console. and 25 hp tiller. for your first boat. a 40 hp on that boat is a lot of power. look for 15 hp with 9.9 decals. or a 9.9 and have it re-carbuarted to a 15 most lakes only allow 9.9 or less. or electric only if its electric only 40hp is alot more weight to pull then a 9.9

#19 ·
Im not to sure about all that there is no steering wheel, windshield or shifter in the boat. So I believe there is no console ? It has to take a tiller motor right now and the plate in side the boat say's max hp 40 so I would think they are talking about the horse power for a tiller motor.:D

#20 ·
have a basstracker w/ a 40 hp i love it i use it on the susky and the flats in the spring , the delaware and kyll easy to tow and maintain

#23 ·
Team Dougherty said:
A friend of mine has a 14 v bottom smoker craft it is rated for a 40 hp tiller. He has a 25 on it an it will go 25 or 26 MPH.
Thanks for the info man what brand motor is it do you know ? and is it a 2 stroke or four stroke motor ? I just look at a 2 stroke 25 HP merc. and its pretty small and they had a 25 hp merc. that was a four stroke and it was about twice the size of the 2 stroke motor so im thinking about getting a 2 stroke motor for her but it has to be oil injected:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.