BASS BARN banner

Lake Nockamixon advice

18K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Papa Bear 56 
#1 ·
Headed to Lake Nockamixon either sat or sun morning. Never been there before - any advice ? Not looking for specific locations just general advice being that I've never been there. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
boat launches

I would suggest you try the boat launches- If you go past the main entrance to the marina there are 2-3 more boat launches on the rt. side off the main road (536???). There is a decent amount of shorline you can fish from at each stop. There is also a large bridge you will go over that I see people parked at. I believe they go through the woods and fish from shore. Give it a try and post a report- good or bad.
Good luck!
Brent

#5 ·
It's gonna be though without a boat it is a very challenging lake i only cauught a ton of sunnies a a few perch back there in the summer i would assume it's even worse this time of year i fished the marina area to the handicapp fishing pier i was on shore and it was rough i tried all kinds of things i saw some huge carp though good luck to ya cause i can't help much when it comes to a lake like that especially from shore

#6 ·
Since I know that lake inside out ;)

First bridge on right side Bass and tons of crappies move along the bank and you will nail 50 plus crappies (huge).

3rd bridge you will see a small stream that feeds the lake. Monster carp above the stream and right under bridge the white bass spawn there and you will see 100's of them.Note large boulders are all around this area and monster Crappies are all along the bank. Now I have seen many Bass in this area but never caught one since that was 25 years ago.I was just learning to fish:D

If you have a boat on the other side has small rock cliffs ;)

Now if you follow the road down to the damn this area is sweet as well.I use to hike way back there and follow a stream hint hint. warning copper head snake are everywhere in this area.It's like the smoky mountains streams hehe rocks of all colors very nice.Btw I was 15 back then and I did not know about snakes.

Now there is a small pond by the main boat area which I know for a fact has huge bass in it.They use to swim all around the shore line.2ft to at least 8ft drop off on the one side. Note.....Bears......I use to hear them and see claw marks on trees back there.

What was I thinking age 15 and my parents would drop me off at 8am and pick me up at 5pm. They use to sell old furniture in their store where 611 and 32 meet.

GL been out of PA since 89.

sorry if my writing is poor i'm very tired lol

#7 ·
Since I know that lake inside out ;)

First bridge on right side Bass and tons of crappies move along the bank and you will nail 50 plus crappies (huge).

3rd bridge you will see a small stream that feeds the lake. Monster carp above the stream and right under bridge the white bass spawn there and you will see 100's of them.Note large boulders are all around this area and monster Crappies are all along the bank. Now I have seen many Bass in this area but never caught one since that was 25 years ago.I was just learning to fish:D

If you have a boat on the other side has small rock cliffs ;)

Now if you follow the road down to the damn this area is sweet as well.I use to hike way back there and follow a stream hint hint. warning copper head snake are everywhere in this area.It's like the smoky mountains streams hehe rocks of all colors very nice.Btw I was 15 back then and I did not know about snakes.

Now there is a small pond by the main boat area which I know for a fact has huge bass in it.They use to swim all around the shore line.2ft to at least 8ft drop off on the one side. Note.....Bears......I use to hear them and see claw marks on trees back there.
Timbers tips are spot on. I grew up riding the school bus through that valley before the lake existed. The road with the 3 bridges, marina, fishing pier is the "new" route 563 off route 313.
He is right about that first bridge and the 3rd bridge. I never caught much off the fishing pier.
The other road, opposite side of the lake, old 563, also called ridge road, , that one passes along the back of the damn toward 611,

As Timber mentioned, it used to be one of my favorite places to fish. From spillways that can have crappie to big muskies hiding in places, caught some good walleyes around that area too, even bowfished carp below that spillway in summer, massive carp, tons of crappie too, then too as he said the walk down the creek is worth a look.

Small curl tail jigs bounced used to be the ticket.
The marina on a hot summer night with jitterbugs used to be fun too.
Then again, all this was 30 years ago.
Lake Nockamixon Indian Name = lakeawhichalookalikacanopener

Grew up near another lake nearby called Lake Towhee in the late 70s, I missed the state record largemouth back then by ounces, think it was 8lbs something back then. Dont know what its like anymore but it used to have big bucketmouths in the back long ago.

Good Luck, and thanks, you brought back a lot of memories and made me want to fish it again sometime.

#9 ·
I use to fish this one lake in hellertown OMG ..........:bow: This lake would but to shame any other lake in both states. Google earth this area and look for Marlin lake.

The lake was closed for years and when it open again as a swim lake in the early 80's.I use to ride my bike 13 miles everyday in the summer to fish this lake. I would be the only one there fishing and would nail min 35 bass a day.From 1lb to 6lbers. I once caught 2 bass 1lb and a 3lb on the same sonic lure.

Now get ready no fish tale here guys I use to see this monster with a real true bucket size mouth.Way over 15lbs easy this Bass would just swim along the shallow water eating a few sunnies at a time.
One day after some old man was shooting salt at me with his shotgun :mad: I walked around to the other side and told on him to the :razz:eek:wner:razz: .Farmer was pulling tire size snappers out of lake.His boat got hit by a snapper that was as big as a truck tube blown up omg.

Anyways back to the Big bass I caught a big frog and tied it on my line and threw it out one morning around 7am.I frog wouldn't move as the bass move under the frog so I pulled the line. SLAM! That bass killed the frog and my new pole snapped :( My best friend was running around screaming like a girl as I was trying to grab the line. Bye -bye big bass I seen others almost his size over that summer.Then the place was going up for sale and my parents almost bought it.............almost :thumbsdown:
I woke up at 4am took my bike out and took me a few hours to get to the lake and OM@G .The new owner drained it and he said the pipes kept getting blocked up with theses big fish.

I better understand this one crazy day I got there and I seen 100's of Bass all swimming together on the top and wouldn't bite anything.No lies here guys It was the best fishing day of my life.
I moved and never been back to that lake again since the summer of 85. I just looked it up and the lake is still there so you never know:) The guy drained 97% of the lake all but the 20 plus foot hole in the middle.

Now if you PA guys want to fish for monsters down from that lake is a private lake with huge bass in it.GL trying to get the farmers to let you fish there gold lol.
I wish I knew this one trout lake my grandfather said 4ft trout use to swim all over this lake.The farmer placed boxed springs all over the lake so nobody could fish it.He passed away before I was old enough to learn where this lake was.

#13 ·
I use to fish this one lake in hellertown OMG ..........:bow: This lake would but to shame any other lake in both states. Google earth this area and look for Marlin lake.

The lake was closed for years and when it open again as a swim lake in the early 80's.I use to ride my bike 13 miles everyday in the summer to fish this lake. I would be the only one there fishing and would nail min 35 bass a day.From 1lb to 6lbers. I once caught 2 bass 1lb and a 3lb on the same sonic lure.

Now get ready no fish tale here guys I use to see this monster with a real true bucket size mouth.Way over 15lbs easy this Bass would just swim along the shallow water eating a few sunnies at a time.
One day after some old man was shooting salt at me with his shotgun :mad: I walked around to the other side and told on him to the :razz:eek:wner:razz: .Farmer was pulling tire size snappers out of lake.His boat got hit by a snapper that was as big as a truck tube blown up omg.

Anyways back to the Big bass I caught a big frog and tied it on my line and threw it out one morning around 7am.I frog wouldn't move as the bass move under the frog so I pulled the line. SLAM! That bass killed the frog and my new pole snapped :( My best friend was running around screaming like a girl as I was trying to grab the line. Bye -bye big bass I seen others almost his size over that summer.Then the place was going up for sale and my parents almost bought it.............almost :thumbsdown:
I woke up at 4am took my bike out and took me a few hours to get to the lake and OM@G .The new owner drained it and he said the pipes kept getting blocked up with theses big fish.

I better understand this one crazy day I got there and I seen 100's of Bass all swimming together on the top and wouldn't bite anything.No lies here guys It was the best fishing day of my life.
I moved and never been back to that lake again since the summer of 85. I just looked it up and the lake is still there so you never know:) The guy drained 97% of the lake all but the 20 plus foot hole in the middle.

Now if you PA guys want to fish for monsters down from that lake is a private lake with huge bass in it.GL trying to get the farmers to let you fish there gold lol.
I wish I knew this one trout lake my grandfather said 4ft trout use to swim all over this lake.The farmer placed boxed springs all over the lake so nobody could fish it.He passed away before I was old enough to learn where this lake was.

That place anywhere near harts lake?

#10 ·
Some of my biggest bass came from farm ponds and holes you would never think of trying you drive by all the time, some are hard to get onto.

When we were kids we used to dress like commandos and sneak onto some grouchy old farmers ponds at night, catch and release, still they were fun days finding the out of the way or over obvious places.

#12 ·
there's fish in there

definately a hard body of water to decipher. have had many a skunked effort there, however when I do figure it out I've caught BIG fish. If you are only fishin the bank, try under the 563 bridge, where the tohickin creek comes in(closer to 313). If you get in there on a boat there's plenty of structure, coves, points etc... to work.. Had a 4ft + musky rise at my topwater last year WOW What a BEAST!. they're in there. plus some big hybrid stripers and big large mouths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.