BASS BARN banner

Delaware water gap fishing?

13K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  VF Fishhead 
#1 ·
Going kayak camping at the Delaware water gap any suggestions on what I can catch and what lures to use I don't fish fresh water much any help would be appreciated thanks

#2 ·
Small mouth bass are king
Hit just about anything
spinners lures, mediam to small size shallow diving crank bait, and surface lures in the evening
my best is green plastic tubes on a carolina rig
If you can find some hellgermites in the water even better but above the Gap you can not take them from the river against the law

#3 ·
Definately Smallmouth fishing, I like to use coffee tubes for them in the rivers, jigs with crawfish trailor, spinners, rapalas, etc. Anything that either mimics a crayfish or minnow will work well. If you get down time between fishing pick some of your own bait and toss it out, either crayfish, clippers (hellgramites), or stone cats will all work well.

#4 ·
Well, it's been said, there are plenty of smallmouth and there are. I've seen muskie and walleye in that area as well and my best success came on in-line spinner baits. When the the bite stopped using that, I added a piece of worm or night crawler, and it picked up again. Good luck, it's beautiful in that area.
ps; I hope your giving it a couple of days after that rain we had on tuesday, it could be quite rough...

#5 ·
Rapalas JR-5/7 in natrual colors kill. If the water is deeper than norm. shallow divers or blue fox/roostertails. Tubes kill in the pools and if the water is dirty have some fire tiger colors.
As you move down stream (12 o'clock) cast to 1:30/10:30 for best results. If you start to "drag" the lure as it passes your 3:00/9:00 I find you get less action.
My big trip farther upstream is this week end
Good luck & post up:thumbsup:

#6 ·
Crayfish crankbait. Rainbow color, the small ones.
Heck, the real crayfish work great as well, as well as nightcrawlers with Helgramites King.

The thing with Helgramites is that they will last you for a couple fish, thay have a tough skin. I've caught fish on the smallest pieces of that stinky thing.

I usually go in the fall when the waters gin clear as an R&R day.

Good Luck

#8 ·
Thanks for all your help guys keep it coming and are the stripers really up that high in the river?

#9 ·
yes they are and will be there all summer. picked up several while smallmouth fishing above watergap throughout the summer. there were three of us and only the 2 flyrodders caught the stripers. the conventional guy caught some nice smallmouth in the same holes, but only smallmouth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.